food that tastes better then it should (food experiments) NF

manitoubass2

A couple of times a year, I start off making a pot of soup. By the time I go through the cupboard and the freezers, cleaning out remnants, I wind up with this massive pot of stew. Never turns out the same, but it always tastes darn good and never lasts long.

Kinda like making "stone soup"

I do the same and sometimes I regret not writing the recipe down hahaha.

they all turn out really good though. Im a huge fan of stews. not only are the tasty they can be dirt cheap and fill alot of bowls!

I made Spinach and Tangerine Soup a while back and my wife really enjoyed it. Doesn't really sound like it would be too good though, lol.

Spinach and Tangerine Soup

Ingredients:
1.5 l chicken stock
75 g yellow split peas
25 g unsalted butter
100 g spring onions, chopped
1 tsp ground turmeric
225 g fresh spinach, finely chopped
40 g parsley, chopped
50 g coriander, chopped
Grated zest of 2 tangerines
Juice of 3 tangerines
20 g ground rice or rice flour
150 ml cold water
225 g natural yoghurt

Cooking Instructions:
Soak the split peas over night. The following day add the chicken stock to a pan and bring to a boil. Drain the split peas and add to the pan. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan and add the spring onions. Fry gently for 5 minutes before adding the turmeric. Fry for 1 minutes then add the cold water and ground rice and stir in. Transfer the contents of the pan to the stock pot then add the coriander, spinach, parsley and tangerine zest and juice to the pan, cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionaly. Ladle the soup into dishes, garnish with a dollop of yoghurt and sprinkle fresh corinader over the top. Serve immediately.

Another thing is fish jerky. There is a sweet tasting fish called Filefish that is popular in Korea. It stinks really bad,. but has a natural sweet taste to it. Probably not for everyone, especially if you smell it first! Even I didn't try it for a long time.

that soup sounds really good!

here is a few others I like to make...

preheat oven to 350. add pork steaks to a glass casserole dish. season with minced garlic, pepper, sea salt, dill seed and coriander.

about ten minutes into cooking add about a half can or even a full can of beer.

when pork is nearly done I brush on a orange ginger brown sugar sauce and finish it off on broil to give a crust.

that pork steak is amazing.

the next is a sandwich.

get a good long fresh bun from the baker.

add a bunch of thin sliced pastrami sliced black olives and some jelapeno havarti cheese. brush the bread with a lil olive oil and broil for maybe 3 minutes. spread cream cheese on other side of the bread and eat

got that one from my mom. takes about 6 minutes to make and its very very tasty

A couple of times a year, I start off making a pot of soup. By the time I go through the cupboard and the freezers, cleaning out remnants, I wind up with this massive pot of stew. Never turns out the same, but it always tastes darn good and never lasts long.

Kinda like making "stone soup"

Soup From A Stone……that was one of my favourite books as a kid!

I actually just bought my son Jack a book I had at his age(5yrs) from a great website with lots of cheap, used vintage books http://www.abebooks.com

It is called 'My Learn To Cook Book'

MyLearnToCookBook.jpg

Spent hours with my brother's and sisters making stuff from this book….all step by step picture recipes…..I LOVED THIS BOOK….Jack loves it too and that means a lot to me.

[

Edited by limeyangler

Cool pic! Nice looking bunnies...how do you prepare your snowshoes? They look clean, did you snare them?

they are a gift from my mother in law. yep snared

ive eaten them many times but this will be my first time cleaning them. wife wants fur too so any tips anyone has would be awesome?

Edited by manitoubass2

Well, you asked for it!

I'm a big fan of liver and no one else in my house would even sit on it! So, I decided one day that I would try something different for myself and picked up some baby beef liver.

I cut it open like a pita, stuffed it with Havarti cheese and tomato sauce. Closed the "pocket" with tooth pics and breaded the liver like I would fish. (Egg wash, flour and breadcrumbs)

A quick fry until golden brown and it was excellent!

How's that for thinkin outside the box!?

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Well, you asked for it!

I'm a big fan of liver and no one else in my house would even sit on it! So, I decided one day that I would try something different for myself and picked up some baby beef liver.

I cut it open like a pita, stuffed it with Havarti cheese and tomato sauce. Closed the "pocket" with tooth pics and breaded the liver like I would fish. (Egg was, flour and breadcrumbs)

HH

hahahah ive done almost the exact same thing but I didnt use tomatoe sauce I used sundried tomatoe.

turned out too rich for the kids but i loved it

maybe ill try your method

they are a gift from my mother in law. yep snared

ive eaten them many times but this will be my first time cleaning them. wife wants fur too so any tips anyone has would be awesome?

I've cleaned many but don't know any tips on keeping the fur unfortunately. Their skin is paper thin which I think would make preserving the hide kinda tricky. Good luck though, I'd love to see any finished product!

We use to cull our own rabbit. We sliced round the ankles, and vertically up the underside of the legs. Around the neck and down the belly... We then pulled the fur/skin intact. As for tanning the hide I have no idea as we never did it... We just prepared them for the table in this manner.

G

Well, it's not cooking but one food I really like that taste better than it should is cheese. All kinds of cheese and I'm not talking Mozzarella or Kraft Singles.....the stinkier the better IMO. I love Blue Stilton, and it definitely tastes better than it smells. In a way it kind of looks like an experiment gone wrong!

If you have to chase it (cheese)across the table the better it tastes.

Soup From A Stone……that was one of my favourite books as a kid!

[

As a scoutmaster, I would usually organize a stone soup cookout during campouts . They would get told a version of the story, and as the story was told, each cub or scout would take their turn adding their contribution to the pot. There was just one twist. Scouter Bruce contributed the meat, and that remained a big secret until all had stuffed themselves full.

I was also known for serving up breakfasts of "train smash" or "Green eggs and ham"

Beef Tongue

Read on if I haven't already grossed you out?

- One tongue from freshly slaughtered beef.

- Wash and if need be scrub with brush.

- Place in pot large enough to cover tongue with water.

- Season water with bay leaves (2 or 3) and a TB spoon of pepper corns.

- Bring to a mild boil

- Meat is cooked when the shin has turned a pale white and a knife can be easily inserted.

- Remove from pot and allow to cool too the touch; you don't want it cold for the next step.

- Peel shin from the tongue to expose the meat. Take your time it can be a bit difficult to remove all the skin without wasting to much of the meat.

- Slice meat into 1/4" thick slices

- Place meat in a stewing pot, add either home make or canned tomato sauce; spiced too your liking.

- Saute onions, garlic and fresh peppers until tender; add to sauce.

- Bring everything up to a medium high simmer and allow to cook for approx 2-3 hours.

- Serve with any form of pasta and garlic bread.

The simmering of the meat and sauce can also be done in a slow cooker and left longer without worry of burning.

If you're willing to try it once; it won't be the last time you'd eat it.

Dan.

I'm a big fan of liver

Same here Joe and my wife does a fantastic job with cooking it but a few of us had dinner at another friends home recently and he did his differently and it was also excellent.

He started off simmering 10 pounds of onions in a big skillet and then put the liver straight onto the BBQ grill. When it was half cooked he took it off the Q and buried it all down in the onions and simmered it all on low with the cover on the pan.

Served that up with 10 pounds of Yukon Gold taters and it was some of the best liver I've ever had.

Well, you asked for it!

I cut it open like a pita, stuffed it with Havarti cheese and tomato sauce. Closed the "pocket" with tooth pics and breaded the liver like I would fish. (Egg wash, flour and breadcrumbs)

HH

Love liver as long as it is not overcooked, tender with a hint of pink, served with a mountain of fried onions and bacon. I have no problem chowing down on that for breakfast, lunch or supper.