food that tastes better then it should (food experiments) NF

manitoubass2

Well I for one love cooking. I love old staples, I love cultural dishes, simple meals etc. but more then anything I love experimenting in the kitchen.

I cant be the only one. feel free to post some of your experiments or just new to you dishes for everyone to try...

tonight I wanted something simple but I was craving mushrooms. so I winged it at the grocery store then again at home and made something really tasty and easy.

first I got on a good beef stock. I wasnt sure how much I would need for the family so I over guessed and made 14 cups lol. better to have too much then not enought.

as I brought my broth to a simmer I added a touch of oil and butter to a frypan and got some nice onions going to sweat. a lil salt and pepper and garlic.

Now I ended up adding adding two cloves of garlic and a whole onion to my broth.

once my onions were done I added them to my broth.

now I added a crap ton of mushrooms to the frypan with some more butter and salt and pepper and now some minced garlic. I cooked them right down too a good mouth full size. I used criminis

Now I added a lil cooked and drained beef to the soup. as well as some long grain brown rice.

I portioned it into bowls, added the mushrooms to the top, topped with a nice fresh soft mozza, and served with a piece of my better halfs homemade garlic bread.

super simple and quick but it was nice...

between 8 of us 14 cups worked out perfect to two bowls each?

lol thanks Randy but thats a "leftover lets see what we can do night" lol. and post some pics!!! id love to see them! im always looking for inspiration/ideas

tasty as all heck but not very purdy.

LOA. if you like plain hot dogs in the micworave try a pack of spicy chicken ramen noodles, crush, put in bowl and fill half way with water. cook in mic for 2 1/2 mins. let cool. crush cool ranch doritos over top.

sometimes eating like crap doesnt mean it tastes like crap lol

Edited by manitoubass2

since ribs came up in another thread, try this one its super easy(or for pork butt or shoulder.)

two cups of brown sugar, two cups ketchup and two cups vinegar. mix. add too crock pot on low. add ribs/butt and cook for about 6 hours or so.

super simple sauce that turns out real good. spice to your liking.

Edited by manitoubass2

lobster is easy.

if its pre prepaired just add to a skillet of butter and garlic. cooking time depends on size but its only a few minutes. add some pepper and chives or parsley after cooked and viola!

serve over a bed of minute rice cooked in chicken stock instead of water.

serve with a sparkley zindfandel wine and your good to go

I'm thinking of bringing the lobster home alive lol. Go big or go home right lol

you can look at it that way lol. first time i made a homemade poutine thats what i thought. turned out horrible lol. but i was 17 and had no clue what i was doing hahaha

if you get a live lobster just boil it and prepare it. im sure there is one million youtube vids showing how. i still suggest a light cook after in butter garlic though. mmmm

Edited by manitoubass2

cooking is just fun though man. just try and experiment. eventually you make awesome dishes.

you see some of the pics on this site? friggen amazing looking and im sure they taste even better(a pic never does good food justice) but these members were not born to cook, they learned.

its fun and when you make a dish thats a hit you hang on to it and move along

Wow, those dogs look great :)

Lately I've had a hankering for that smoked salmon/lox, so as I've progressed with my addiction to it, I now buy a nice baguette, one of those long ones, then cut it into smaller pieces of course, then toast up two pieces. Then I take an avacado and make a quacamole (just basically smush up half of the avacado and add garlic, salt and pepper.) So then after the toast is done, I put butter, cream cheese, then the quac, then I put chopped up red onions, the smoked salmon and some capers. Yummmmmmmm!!!!

Well, it's not cooking but one food I really like that taste better than it should is cheese. All kinds of cheese and I'm not talking Mozzarella or Kraft Singles.....the stinkier the better IMO. I love Blue Stilton, and it definitely tastes better than it smells. In a way it kind of looks like an experiment gone wrong!

Well, it's not cooking but one food I really like that taste better than it should is cheese. All kinds of cheese and I'm not talking Mozzarella or Kraft Singles.....the stinkier the better IMO. I love Blue Stilton, and it definitely tastes better than it smells. In a way it kind of looks like an experiment gone wrong!

Now ya talkin'!

since ribs came up in another thread, try this one its super easy(or for pork butt or shoulder.)

two cups of brown sugar, two cups ketchup and two cups vinegar. mix. add too crock pot on low. add ribs/butt and cook for about 6 hours or so.

super simple sauce that turns out real good. spice to your liking.

Great recipe, but if you want one quick change that might improve it, here is how I do basically the same thing.

I would only put in about 1/4 of the sauce mixture and some ginger ale to cook the ribs or pork. Then when it is almost cooked I would discard that liquid and put in the rest of the sauce mixture and cook for about an hour on high.

The reason I would do that is most of the fat that comes out of the pork as it cooks will dilute the sauce, also that heavy an amount of fat in a sauce cloys the taste buds. Lastly, I would add a 1/4 cup of a good quality honey mustard to the sauce mix for pork.

I use the above method for making my peach schnapps pulled pork and have found that after discarding the liquid it cooks in, the flavor is more intense on the finished product as it isn't diluted by what is essentially a cup or two of lard that has rendered out of the meat during the cooking process...

A couple of times a year, I start off making a pot of soup. By the time I go through the cupboard and the freezers, cleaning out remnants, I wind up with this massive pot of stew. Never turns out the same, but it always tastes darn good and never lasts long.

Kinda like making "stone soup"

Edited by bigugli