food that tastes better then it should (food experiments) NF

manitoubass2

Stop wasting cauliflower!!!!!!! The best way to prepare it is to do it up just like you do your breaded fish!

Cut it into small pieces and wash it. While it is still damp, add kosher salt, garlic powder and onion powder and crushed black pepper. Let is sit for at least an hour.

Then dredge them in flour, egg wash and bread crumbs (we like Panko!) and pan fry until golden brown. Put the fried pieces in the oven for 1/2 an hour at 325 to finish cooking through. Make an awesome side dish with roast beef (PRIMER!!!) especially when you add some gravy to them!!!!!

You can thank me later!

HH

Holy crap, i need to try this!

Have you tried them with the standard mashed potatos additions, garlic, sour cream etc?

I steam the cauliflower then use a hand held food processor to thin it out. I add about half a cup of browned garlic, a wee bit of butter and some salt to taste. I usually eat this with a chicken breast (Done on the BBQ).. Sometimes I'll dice the chicken and toss it into the mix as well. Super simple, super fast, very good for you.

I've recently replaced mashed potatoes with mashed cauliflower.. Out of this world! (And a lot better for you)

Also a good substitute for rice. Cut it up into small'ish florets (raw), pulse in a food processor until about the same size as rice. Fry it up, bake it, or even microwave it. Just don't add water/liquid - it'll absorb it quickly and turn mushy. Sautee onions and garlic in coconut oil, add the cauli rice and cook til it's al-dente'ish and finish with lime zest and cilantro.

Also a good substitute for rice. Cut it up into small'ish florets (raw), pulse in a food processor until about the same size as rice. Fry it up, bake it, or even microwave it. Just don't add water/liquid - it'll absorb it quickly and turn mushy. Sautee onions and garlic in coconut oil, add the cauli rice and cook til it's al-dente'ish and finish with lime zest and cilantro.

Right on man, I'm going to try that!

Ya, might be a pretty hard sell LOL

funny the cultural differences. id try this but a bun seems like a weird vehicle? its probably amazing im gonna try it this weekend lol

I can imagine it on top of a dog or sausage sort of like a replacement for 'krout

Edited by manitoubass2

if anyone made pickled herring with jalepeno id be stoked. i should just make some i spose.

anyone here like green olives and love spicy? I gotta wicked wicked good olive recipe passed down to me and for about 10 years now I buy bulk and make about 20lbs every year. there amazing

Edited by manitoubass2

Olives are almost as good as pickled herring(minus the hot dog LOL) I grow carolina reapers and toss one in to a batch of pickled eggs.

lol hot dog is one thing but Id bet its deadly on a bbq'brat on a nice roll

who knows maybe ill be puking it all up this time tomorrow ???

i like olives even more the herring. the ones i make go good on almost everything. ill even eat them by the bowl?

Edited by manitoubass2

I love pickled herring! Feature foods spiced matjes herring is a must try for any pickled herring lover :thumbsup_anim:

You have no idea what good pickled herring is. The really good stuff you used to get right out of the barrel just like good dill pickles. Used to be a good Finnish shop on Queen st called Huites.

These days, when you get a chance, go to IKEA's deli, there is a good variety of 5-6 flavours of herring.

IF you are ever in Minnesota or Michigan, Look for a brand called Gafelbiters. The Norwegian herring was a family favourite, but no one sells it here in Ontario now.

You have no idea what good pickled herring is. The really good stuff you used to get right out of the barrel just like good dill pickles. Used to be a good Finnish shop on Queen st called Huites.

These days, when you get a chance, go to IKEA's deli, there is a good variety of 5-6 flavours of herring.

IF you are ever in Minnesota or Michigan, Look for a brand called Gafelbiters. The Norwegian herring was a family favourite, but no one sells it here in Ontario now.

Tried all kinds of pickled herring over the years and in my opinion the Feature foods herring is the best I've had. Even better than Vesta. To each his own I guess

funny the cultural differences. id try this but a bun seems like a weird vehicle? its probably amazing im gonna try it this weekend lol

I can imagine it on top of a dog or sausage sort of like a replacement for 'krout

Finnish style... Herring and cream cheese on hard biscuit.