NF-Should winter tires be mandatory in Ontario

LostAnotherOne

So guys what do you think. Should they or shouldn't they. Studies have shown that winter tires do allow you to stop earlier, but do you think every car should have them on in winter time in Ontario. My opinion is that it's not the tire it's the driver. I'm 100% sure that one day the minister of transportation will say it's time to have them on and you will have no choice but to have them on. I would just feel sorry for those families that are living pay cheque to pay cheque where they will have to dish out X amount of dollars for tires.

I don't think it should be mandated, we have enough stupid laws as it is, but I do recommend them, and swear by running dedicated winter tires. The initial cost sucks, but they pay for themselves over time......by saving your all seasons. My car is BRUTAL in snow with all seasons. Dangerous. Put the snows on and it goes anywhere I point it.

S.

if your address is north of 7 i would say yes. the snowfall on thursday was a joke in terms of amount yet i wasn't laughing when the guy ahead of me couldn't climb a minor grade.

the extra cost is offset by the fact that your tires will now last twice as long (ok snows typically wear quicker but you get the gist) and most insurers will discount your policy 5-10% if you use them.

Edited by Raf

I'm another one that always has dedicated winter tires plus 4X4 for the snowy months and absolutely hate getting stuck behind someone who doesn't have them.

There's plenty of folks though that just don't bother to drive in nasty weather and because of that I don't really think they should be mandatory. My dad was a good example as he lived in Toronto where the roads get cleared relatively fast and he just didn't bother with winter tires in his later years and would just wait till the roads were clear.

On the other hand, I had to go down to Peterboro last week when we got around 4-5" of snow and I saw a couple folks who had absolutely NO idea how to get around in that bit of white stuff and should have been riding the bus.

Winter tires have been mandatory in Quebec for a few years now and they have to be used between certain dates although I don't recall what they are.

Wonder if winter accident rates have changed since the new law was introduced ??

I wouldn't mind the government nannying us if we were rewarded for it. I'll put winter tires on my car if I can tax write off half/all of it.

The government keeps telling me not to smoke or drink because I'll go to the hospital at a younger age and spend more tax dollars. Ok fine, I don't. But then how about the government subsidize my gym membership so that I can keep fit and stay out of the hospitals for longer? I can't understand why it only works one way.

Heres what I heard on the radio this morning.

Two separate driving tests. Summer and winter.

I can understand this.

Then what's next Brian, a test for daytime driving and another for driving after dark ??

Edited by lew

After using winter tires I think they should be mandatory, I can tell when its snowing out who has them and who doesn't. but like some of the other guys said. Where will it end then? Do I need to have a government sticker to validate my mandatory winter tires annually after? lol (reminds me of that South Park episode on the TSA- toilet safety administration one lol)

Interesting though, I would like to see the Quebec stats though, maybe the amount of accidents has dropped drastically. I mean if it comes down to safety, at the end of the day if it saves lives I am in hands down.

Well no, but I know so many people who got their license in the summer, then totaled their cars their first winter because they were stupid, I think its an interesting idea Brian. but maybe you should be required to have a minimum I.Q instead? ahahaha

Edited by c10

I am a big fan of winter tires. Both of our vehicles have 2 sets of wheels/tires.

It's easy to switch them and over the lifespan of the tires it doesn't cost very much at all considering what they do, so if it was law it would not impact me at all from that stand point.

However I'm on the fence as to whether or not it should be mandatory. I do feel that any accident in winter conditions with no-seasons should be charged heavily if the driver is at fault.

People drive like fools in all types of weather but in the winter it would be nice if the fools at least had better traction.

Then what's next Brian, a test for daytime driving and another for driving after dark ??

LOL Lew

The problem is the ones that have all wheel drive and 4x4 and think they are super drivers. Way to many new drivers that dont know how to drive in the winter. No disrespect here,but do places like India have winter roads? They come here and have never driven in snow. Like I said,no disrespect here. It is what it is.

No kidding! Really ridiculous idea. I see enough people in Quebec with basically bald winter tires or 2wd trucks with zero weight in the back to know that mandating winter tires does not = safer roads.

Back in the day (When did I get old?) when I learned to drive there was no Sunday shopping. I got to practice a lot in the snowy mall parking lot.

Part of it is knowing how to keep from loosing traction, but the bigger part might be to know what to do once you have lost control.

I still "test" the car/myself a little when we get the first snow. I'll try in a safe place to slip a little around a corner to see how things are. I tried that with the brakes as well this week. I guess it was the first time my son had heard the ABS cause he didn't have a clue what was making the racket.

Back in the day (When did I get old?) when I learned to drive there was no Sunday shopping. I got to practice a lot in the snowy mall parking lot.

Part of it is knowing how to keep from loosing traction, but the bigger part might be to know what to do once you have lost control.

I still "test" the car/myself a little when we get the first snow. I'll try in a safe place to slip a little around a corner to see how things are. I tried that with the brakes as well this week. I guess it was the first time my son had heard the ABS cause he didn't have a clue what was making the racket.

Rob I did the same with the truck. New to me and want to know what it can and cant do. No one on the essa hill early morning. Slam the brakes on to see how the brakes work. Once with the traction mode on. Oh my god,not pretty. Turn it off. Slam again and then slow pumps. Much ,much better stopping. Guess were lucky to have been driving for some long years in the winters.

For the most part I had driven front wheel drive cars with manual trannys. When my wife wanted a small suv when we had kids it was all wheel drive and had some big nobly, noisy, tires. I though maybe they'd be ok in the snow. That year we had a snow storm in October before Thanksgiving. They were junk. I was "safe" for the most part because I was careful and learning the new vehicle but when I was stopped at a light I couldn't get going again up the hill.

For much of the province the summer/winter conditions vary too much not to take advantage of the advancements that have been made in tires.

Never ran anything but all seasons and never had a problem. However many people who's opinions I respect have told me that the difference is night and day..so I believe it is true. I to would like to see data from Quebec as to whether it makes any real difference at the end of the day.

Bottom line for me is I will stick with all seasons because they have served me well for the driving I do. However if the government mandates it I have no problem switching over. Some have mentioned lower insurance rates if you run snows. This was something I did not know and will look into.