Thin Waterproof Gloves - Existence unknown

AKRISONER

I have 3 different brands of neoprene gloves.... None of them worked for me.

1 XL was too tight and therefore cut off the circulation, couldn't keep them on long enough to find if they were waterproof...

2 the next pair was slightly bigger great fit, but every time I wore them they seemed to freeze solid after a while of gettting wet. I fell asleep wearing them in a snow storm fishing off a pier one night. I had wrapped the line around my hand in case I got a bite while I was out. I woke up and the line and glove were frozen together LOL. I almost broke the line getting it off the glove... When my fishing buddy showed up the next morning I was covered in 8" of snow snoring away,

3 Great fit everywhere but the cuff so water would pool inside the glove and not run out

NO MORE neoprene gloves for me....

As a cold water kayaker, I have tried every glove combo I can think of to keep my hands warm. Thin knit gloves under dishwashing gloves is the best high-dexterity combo I have ever found. Ultimately, I think it's all about the fit. If the gloves are constricting or too tight anywhere, then blood flow is constricted and it's game over.

. Ultimately, I think it's all about the fit. If the gloves are constricting or too tight anywhere, then blood flow is constricted and it's game over.

I like the idea of kitchen gloves over another pair. I'd like to find the kind that the OP is looking for, but not for $40----call me cheap!''

Tight outer gloves will compress the material underneath and ruin it's insulating value before circ is cut off. Any insul is ruined if you compress it enough..

anyone have any idea where you could shop those skeena gloves..i have a whole bunch of gloves similar to that, but none of them actually fully waterproof. They all either leak on teh back side of the hand, or my "ice fishing" neoprenes have holes cut in the finger tips for line tying...kind of stupid because the minute you catch a fish your gloves drain water straight into them rendering them useless.

It would be tough to purchase online as they would need to fit pretty perfectly.

Have I just discovered the so called golden egg idea...a concept that no one has ever solved? Maybe I should make the perfect pair of gloves and sell them to everyone ahaha.

Edited by AKRISONER

Op, sounds to me like you have circulation problems in your hands. I would suggest that before you address your glove problem, you consider looking into your circulation issue.

Have you tried using a squeeze ball? Maybe consider taking up an instrument (guitar/piano) to help increase your circulation.

If you are starting you trip with ice cold hands, I can't see how well gloves are going to help, given your starting point.

HH

If someone here get's the new gloves from Simms this year, please report back!

The Exstream Foldovers, G4, and Skeena seems like they all could be very good.

So far it looks like the only dealer I've found for them is the fly shop (Wilson's) on Queen in Toronto.

Years ago my wife bought me a pair of gloves out of the Regal catalogue, they were white with many sparkely stuff (metallic) woven in them...not waterproof but warm...

I wear them in my HT Polar Liner (fleece lined) rough textured rubber mitts...easy to fling off when you get a bite or hit when ice fishing or when snow shoveling...If memory serves me, I bought them from Le Baron's...

• 2 weeks later...

oh man, now im excited about this.

I just watched the youtube video and this guy says that these gloves do everything that I want from a glove. Looking at the way his hands move in them seems to make me believe they are the real deal.

As a footnote, I was at Al Flahertys on Monday and they had some sealskinz waterproof cotton gloves. Unfortunately they only had size XL, but they seem very very promising as well. I need to try some that are actually my size and see how the feel is. From what i could tell though, for the most part they felt just like your standard cotton gloves but slightly thicker.

Not gloves but how about a waist muff which you slide your hands into when they are cold. I just read another post about eglisheepfarm.com They have a sheepskin muff which looks awesome. I've been told there is a battery powered heated muff available. They operate on the same principle as the heated jackets available at Home Depot & Marks. When operating your gas auger make sure you point the exhaust away from your body. I melted my previous muff by not paying attention!

Weird... Did not see this post till now.... We have a set of gloves at work, that are fully elastic, rubber coated and cut proof... They are thin and alcohol does not penetrate them. (We use alcohol to clean/sanitize the converting line.) they are a tight fit and come in various sizes and are thin. They are now mandatory where I work due to hand injuries. I will get a name and or model number.... These are not insulated gloves, so if you have issues with cold without gloves, you will still have issues wearing these.

G

• 4 weeks later...

As an update, I have now tried two different "waterproof gloves" to no avail.

The sealskinz gloves were not waterproof and slowly let water seep in over time, no good if you are sticking your hand in an ice hole.

I also just last night picked up a promising pair of Castelli Deluvio gloves from Mec which also claim to be a thin neoprene waterproof glove. Sure enough they leaked as well...

The hunt continues. I am still waiting on a review of the Skeena gloves, they seem to be the only one left!