Your sleds!

Rod Caster

Going through top ends? Usually means a lean mixture. Check your main jet size. Also could be air leaks from a cracked carb boot or a leaking crank seal.

I was being sarcastic :) Only one top end due to 2ft of snow and 1ft of slush.. Rebuilt it last year, been fine ever since.

Haha I believed you too. What year is that, 2002?

Yup, '02 with the infamous 550 fan cooled motor... It doesn't have the greatest track record! But all I use it for is icefishing, no joyrides or anything like that. I still have 3/4 of a tank filled with break-in oil, lol!

550's are infamous only for their track-record on the Edge chassis, due to exhaust placement. The Indy and newer IQ chassis 550's are awesome sleds. The new Voyager 550's are absolutely killer utility sleds!

Yup, that one cylinder close to the exhaust is the one that blew (go figure)..

This is my current ice fishing affair. 1998 Skidoo Touring 500 with a total of 2,150 miles on it so far. A very dependable sled.. so much so I tried to buy it's twin a week or so ago from someone over by Bailieboro, but it was sold before I could get there.

Edited by irishfield

that 800 must chug fuel a spit it back out with rocket propulsion. Have you topped it out? Im curious to know what clicks you can hit on a small sled with that much power.

it certainly isn't easy on gas i get around 150 miles to a tank but the way she pulls is definitely worth it

i have had it to the bar more times then i can count, in perfect conditions with my fat arse on it my best pass was 112 mph

not bad for a 600 dollar barn find and a couple extra tweaks to it :)

we barely have any snow on the ground but I went and tried to fire up my beast. primed and fires on the 6th pull???its -20 ta boot

sounds great! gonna run her round the yard tomorrow and see how she sounds.

is it possible there arent any serious issues? maybe just sitting to long? she doesnt see alot of action

im hoping to use her lots after our move this weekend

Edited by manitoubass2

it certainly isn't easy on gas i get around 150 miles to a tank but the way she pulls is definitely worth it

i have had it to the bar more times then i can count, in perfect conditions with my fat arse on it my best pass was 112 mph

whoa thats a steal!

Burn through or discard your old gas. Get some ethanol free and mixed gas (50-1 unless your machine needs a unique mix) and filler up. Not sure if your machine has an oil injector but for old machines I just pre-mix the gas and forget the oil injector. If the injector fails, you won't lose your engine. Like someone else said. A carb clean or rebuild (around $150 I'm guessing , including labor if you don't want to do yourself) will probably make it run nicer.

If you are worries about it sitting', covering it properly and lifting the track during the summer will avoid a lot of general aging.

That is a wicked deal you got. :good:

It goes pretty good too!!!

I have chickened out riding my Yamaha @ 105 on hard pack.

It was still pulling when I let out of it.

Have been able to get 85 out of it in virgin waist deep powder though. :lol: