So what's the deal with Inline Ice Reels?

Sharkbait22

2.7 to 1 on the black betty 6061 is 19" of line per turn... so 50 cranks from 80 feet.

The big thing with the inline vs a spinning reel... is bait presentation. Not a big deal if you're whipping a spoon up and down, but if you're still fishing a small 1/16th to 1/4 oz jig / bait the inline puts it down and it sits natural and still. 80 feet down on a spinning reel and at least in my case that bait is going round and round and round and may or may not scare the fish off.

I'll put my thoughts to work this winter... I plan to fish one spinning and one inline and we'll see which wins.

Thanks for the replies. I was more curious than anything. Irishfield raise a good point, line twist happens for me quite a bit with some baits e,g, tube jig even with a in-line swivel. I've noticed it most when I put the line just in the hole in plain view and sometimes when looking down the hole. Often wondered what a fish makes of the spinning lure. But this is more about the type of lure and not the reel. The same twisting would happen on the in-line reel.

The spin also has to do with the lure itself, not the line. All tube jigs will spiral.. I haven't seen one that drops straight yet (Unless it weighs something silly like 1-2oz)

Yup that's my point. The in-line reels should have the same problems. My line ends up twisted just like in Brian's pic. Not a problem if you are actively jigging.

Do you use a swivel Brian or a straight uni to uni flow briad knot? I've been thinking of using a longer floro leader this winter, like 10ft plus 8lbs test.

Edited by Sharkbait22