Moving around trailer without boat

AdamS

Hey guys, I've got a 16' boat and I find whenever I try to back the truck up with the trailer to take the boat out of the water I have trouble lining it up, mainly because I can't see the trailer. The amount of trouble depends on the launch so I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks for dealing with this? I'm thinking maybe I can rig something up with some pvc or something so I have some sort of guides, but I'm not entirely sure. Anyone else had/have this problem?

You can buy poles that fasten to the side of the trailer. They are designed to guide the boat on to the trailer; but they may also solve your problem of not being able to see the trailer.

This is what I am referring to.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Heavy-Duty-Post-Style-Boat-Guide-Ons/product/10208433/?cmCat=

Edited by JohnBacon

The easiest thing would be to buy some convex mirrors for your side mirrors. Have you tried backing up with your tailgate/trunk open? I'm not sure what kind of vehicle you have, but with our grand vitara I always open the tailgate and have the seats folded down. This pretty much gives me the view of the entire trailer behind the car. We have a reverse camera for that truck that also works perfectly. But I like having the trunk open so I can communicate with my dad who's in the boat. But If you tow with anything other than a SUV/hatchback I guess that's not an option.

Guide poles always work as well.

maybe im being silly but what is there to line up? i always back the trailer into the water then run the boat up. i keep it in the water when hooking it up. i can easily adjust the boat to be even. then pull out. should be even easier with a 16 foot boat.

Edited by manitoubass2

The boat guides would be your best bet; they'll serve two purposes.

I made the set that I had on my last boat trailer out of 1 1/2" exhaust pipe; that I had a muffler shop put a 90 degree bend in for mounting sake.

I then put a length of that styrofoam pipe wrap on to protect from scratches.

Dan.

we have some gnarly backlake launches around here. they often require odd turning or big hills or pot holes to avoid. one thing that makes backing up a trailor waaay easier is using your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. this way the trailor will turn which ever way you turn the wheel.

i know that doesnt help with visibility. just thought id throw it in here.

sounds like guides are the way to go for you

Edited by manitoubass2

I had the same problem as you. I have a backup camera doesn't really help cause you can't move the camera where you need it remotely. Even with someone helping you backup still a pain. I bought the guide poles for my trailer this summer best thing I ever bought no problems backing up at all now you just use the poles as your guide plus it helps keep the boat straight on the trailer.

Edited by steelhunter

you can get a bicycle flag and put the bracket on the trailer. Just put the flag in place when you are backing down after you get finish just pull the flag. You will not have to get guide ons if you don't need them and it is a 10 dollar solution.

Art

My trailer is fine...can see it when I back up no problem. When I fish with Fishnsled, I've had to learn to use the mirrors when driving his truck. I'm not perfect but getting better with practice. I told him to buy those poles....he said I had to learn using mirrors and I'm glad he did!

Hey guys Thanks for all the replies!

You can buy poles that fasten to the side of the trailer. They are designed to guide the boat on to the trailer; but they may also solve your problem of not being able to see the trailer.

This is what I am referring to.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Heavy-Duty-Post-Style-Boat-Guide-Ons/product/10208433/?cmCat=

Thanks John. That's basically what I was thinking of. Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to replicate but I might go check out those out at bass pro

The easiest thing would be to buy some convex mirrors for your side mirrors. Have you tried backing up with your tailgate/trunk open? I'm not sure what kind of vehicle you have, but with our grand vitara I always open the tailgate and have the seats folded down. This pretty much gives me the view of the entire trailer behind the car. We have a reverse camera for that truck that also works perfectly. But I like having the trunk open so I can communicate with my dad who's in the boat. But If you tow with anything other than a SUV/hatchback I guess that's not an option.

Guide poles always work as well.

I have a truck with a tonneau cover. as I was writing this I was thinking I could flip it up and put the tailgate down so I might try that next time too.

A gentle weave back and forth works for me, seeing the right then the left boat fenders. I also look at the dock as a guide point. I only want to be about 1-2 feet from it.

That's what I started doing myself and found it does help.

Manitoubass2 - I'll keep that in mind next time I'm out.

The solution is obvious, you need a bigger boat :tease:

LOL Hmmm....You could be on to something.. :)

you can get a bicycle flag and put the bracket on the trailer. Just put the flag in place when you are backing down after you get finish just pull the flag. You will not have to get guide ons if you don't need them and it is a 10 dollar solution.

Art

That's also a really good Idea Art!

Thanks again for all the tips! I think between all the comments on here I'll definitely have an easier time by next year.

Hire FishnSled to teach you how to back up! Seriously, if you have ever seen him back his boat up his driveway, you would be amazed! I bet there is no more than a foot of space on either side of the boat... and it's up hill and in the colder months icey.

Yah, dudes my hero when it comes to backing up a trailer and no he can't see his boat in the rear view!

HH

My trailer is fine...can see it when I back up no problem. When I fish with Fishnsled, I've had to learn to use the mirrors when driving his truck. I'm not perfect but getting better with practice. I told him to buy those poles....he said I had to learn using mirrors and I'm glad he did!

It was the best advice I was given when learning and just passing it along. And you are getting better, pretty good at it now. :good:

Hire FishnSled to teach you how to back up! Seriously, if you have ever seen him back his boat up his driveway, you would be amazed! I bet there is no more than a foot of space on either side of the boat... and it's up hill and in the colder months icey.

Yah, dudes my hero when it comes to backing up a trailer and no he can't see his boat in the rear view!

HH

LOL! Thanks Joe. I should show you the maneuver I use to get the boat around the garage and past the tree up on the lawn and not hit the fence on one side or the deck on the other, for winter storage. No smoke, all mirrors. :)

You never know who's trailer (or what kind of a trailer -boat, sled, camper) you maybe backing up or parking down the road. I firmly believe one should know how to use your mirrors. Not every vehicle/trailer will have poles or a backup camera and it's the best way to learn imo.