Made some changes.

Bernie

Over the last few years I had become somewhat restless at my work.
When it gets to the point when you hate to go to work, it's time to change things up.
A former colleague went to work for DeBeers Victor Mine in the Attiwapiskat area about 5 years ago and is really enjoying it.
He told me of an opportunity and put in a resume for a mechanic position. (Thanks for the help on that Headhunter :) )
Well danged if I did get the job. Two weeks in, two weeks home is the cycle.
It's a dry camp, thankfully, and they do random alcohol and drug tests. Suits me fine, I wouldn't go otherwise.

Started out on October 1st driving to Timmins in the very early morning. They fly us out from there up to the mine aboard Dash 8 aircraft.
The mine itself is isolated from the reserve accessible only by air or ice road.
On the flight in I stared out the window the whole way. The air was clear after a few minutes north of Timmins so it made observation really good. The terrain is composed of hundreds of miles of scrub spruce, tamarak, rivers and marsh....lots of marsh. By comparison, think of the everglades. There is very little high and dry land. Where there is drainage, the larger trees flourish, mostly along river banks.

Had a full week of training to do, the safety factor is very high on the minds of everyone there. Had to keep from nodding off more than once during this time.
Once into doing what I was hired to do, the time flew by. Great guys to work with, everyone is helpful and friendly.
The repair shop is huge to accommodate the large equipment. The floor is heated so it maintains and recovers heat quickly when shop doors are opened, an important thing that far north.
One thing noticed is many of us are of the older, experienced bunch. This is most likely due to the isolation and work rotation. A younger person may find it too long to be away from family.

There is a road about 4 k long that leads to the Attiwapiskat river. We took a drive down to it during our site drivers test.
It was a beautiful spot! Wide expanse of river with islands in the center made me want to stay. But unfortunately, we are not allowed to hunt or fish during our stay.
The mine itself is open pit. It's rather deep too, can't see the bottom from the observation platform.
I have been to the bottom a couple times now in a 100 ton dump truck and in a Dodge pickup.
Because the final product is diamonds they don't need to use any chemicals in the mining process. Just crushing mostly.
The process I really don't know exactly, they don't say in detail.

My son has taken over the shop in Powassan and has taken a very good interest in it.
He will do well, he's a smart young fellow, personable and trustworthy. He's already made some changes. :)

I figure 5 years and I'll be able to retire in some comfort.
The company provides some very good benefits along with substantial wages.
Nothing to pay for when up there. Meals and accommodations are very good as well.

So far I'm pleased with the changes, time will tell.

Sounds like a welcome change. Good for you. Know quite a few people doing this now, even a few with a wife and young kids at home and they manage just fine. 2 and 2 is not bad but I know that used to do 4 on, 2 off, which is a little much imo.

Are you heavy duty mechanic?

Congrats Bernie,I would imagine quite a change,but these remote places sure pay well if you can do it.A friend of mine does something similarl,but his hours are different.he's a plumber.Northern Sask,5 weeks,7 days a week,12 hour days.Some days they work 16,nothing much to do where he is.Then one paid week off including flight home.In 6 years ,house,cottage paid off.not to mention Truck,Suv etc.

Edited by davey buoy

Joeytier, I hold 2 licences, Automotive and Heavy Truck/Bus. Also hold several more certificates relating to those fields.
My official title is light duty tech, but they had me working on everything, which is cool by me, this old dog likes to learn new tricks

Davey, the 2 and 2 will be just right. 12 hr shifts (or more) as well, but they allow you to stay up to a week longer at time and a half if you want it.

Just may do that a couple times in the winter.

Good for you Bernie, us old dogs are never too old to learn a new trick or two! In fact I think we often learn them quicker than the young dogs (now if we could only remember them LOL.)

My son works at a camp as the matinance manager in MB, it is a much smaller operation than what you are working with, they just do the core drilling. Three weeks on, one week off and he loves it so much and the money is fantastic. He has asked me a couple of times now if I would be interested in working there as the small engine mechanic but I kind of want to stay here with Sue or I would take him up on it in a heart beat!

Anyway my friend it is always nice to hear that someone has finally found their niche in life. We have tried it all, done most of it, and now we have earned the right to do what we want!

First a great "BIG" congratulations Bernie. I knew you had all the prerequisites nailed and kudos to HH for helping you get it on paper. I'm not at all surprised that you landed the job.

I've no doubt that the challenges will be met by you with a full head of steam every day and at the end of the day a great deal of satisfaction

in your (well deserved) accomplishments.

I hope you find it truly and fully rewarding every day for as long as you choose and eventually a route to a comfortable retirement.

Again congratulations. :clapping:

Good going Bernie. I do a similar rotation in Fort McMurray Alberta. I worked my entire life in the Niagara Region in the construction industry. I had the opportunity to head west for the big money! I'm doing very well working as a crane operator in the oil sands. Working in southern Ontario I usually faced layoffs in the winter - not in the oil sands!! We work 20 days on then 10 days at home. It's OK with my wife & myself as our children are grown with families of their own. I'm presently home for 10 days. The camps are comfortable, the food is good, the company pays for all expenses. Food, lodging & flights are all paid for. When I come home it's nice to get the home chores completed. I'd like to also add that my income has doubled compared to what I earned while I was employed at home. At age 60, double $$$ Woo Hoo!!

Congrats Bernie. It's great to hear this and even better for you.

Friend of ours, George H... (big fella from Timmins) has been working up there several years now on the same rotation. He loves it!!! And, it's changed his and his family's lives in such an amazing way. Even though he's away now two weeks at a time, then home for two... it sure as heck beats driving truck 7 days a week 365 to make ends meet.

Over the last few years I had become somewhat restless at my work.
When it gets to the point when you hate to go to work, it's time to change things up.

This resonates with me most, as I had a job up north in that same boggy marsh land as you describe, but left it to move home. For my girls it's better here, but for work... well, I'm actually just back to working in Attawapiskat as well. Just like you... but not at the mine. Contracting in and out and the first trip back after four years was great. Didn't become restless here, instead never quite settled. Just don't really care for ER work quite as much as I did for extended role outpost, so now doing both to keep things interesting.

Kudos for taking the big step, hope it works out for you, (it very likely will) and maybe one day we'll bump into each other in the Timmins airport passing through. Good luck.

Thanks for the support guys :)

On the way up I was put on the "Coastal Flight". It included stops in Moosonee, Kasetchawan and Attawapiskat. So I got to see a little bit more of the territory.
Interesting to see.
Can't take photos at the mine though, security rules, this I can understand.

Wireless internet is everywhere on the site so I'll stay somewhat connected. Likely check in at least once a day.

Hats off to you Bernie.......I don't know if I could do that, even with feeling the way I do about my job.

Sad to me that us older (shhhh) guys near retirement have to think about leaving home to make enough to retire comfortably or find a job period.

The camp itself is very good.
Full time DeBeers employees get an inside dorm equipped with cable TV, internet, desk/chair and a double bed. A bathroom/shower is shared with your nieghbor.
Contractors get a comfortable room in portables outside the main building sharing bathrooms/showers down a hall not far.

There is a full size gym, a workout room fully equipped, a couple large screen TV rooms with pool tables and a sauna. Only thing missing I'd like is a pool :)

Food is good restaurant quality with something different served each night with two or three different main courses. Prime rib, pork roasts, hams, chicken/turkey, fish, and even a seafood night is the norm. Breakfasts are equally as good for variety.
Sandwiches/desserts/muffins are always available.
It's difficult not to heap your plate, but unless you want to get fat you had better learn.

The only thing that I spent any money on was a couple bags of potato chips. No money is deducted for meals or lodging.
There is a small tuck shop where you can buy some stuff but it isn't very busy.

Found myself getting up at 4 am to get rolling for the 6am start. small breakfast, multiple cups of coffee and conversation at the cafeteria.
After finishing for the day, having supper, shower, chat on the puter with the wife it's time to hit the sack.