Ebola

2 tone z71

ebola can be spread through droplets(sneezing,coughing,drooling) which is a form of airborne you do not be in direct contact but to inhale sputum,this is coming from the infectious disease control person at the hospital where I work. If you google it you will also find that out.

Yes, there must be more to this then having body fluid come in contact with you because if you watch the news on TV these medical teams are in full blown hazmat suits. Never seen that when someone has the flue.

That one nurse that contacted it in the states,experts said she wore all the correct clothes,masks etc.They were leaning to the end of shift changing of garments.Perhaps going from work protective clothes to street clothes,may of been the problem???.If that's the case,this epidemic is to be treated REALLY SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!This is what I heard a couple days ago.

I've not seen any healthcare worker in a 'hazmat' suit, they're all wearing standard tyvek coveralls and infection gowns designed to prevent transmission of infections. A 'hazmat' suit would mean working with something that is most likely extremely airborne and contact spread and possibly more virulent. Canadian healthcare workers (GlobalMedic for example) would most likely wear coveralls, face mask and face shield (for splatter protection). Hands and feet would be covered as well.

The nurses in Dallas probably got infected in the disrobing stage.

afaik, a hazmat suit would basically mean being hermetically sealed and taking a full shower to decontaminate in a contained environment before disrobing. It would also mean, imo, that they're dealing with something far more riskier.

Edited by woodenboater

I've not seen any healthcare worker in a 'hazmat' suit, they're all wearing standard tyvek coveralls and infection gowns designed to prevent transmission of infections. A 'hazmat' suit would mean working with something that is most likely extremely airborne and contact spread and possibly more virulent. Canadian healthcare workers (GlobalMedic for example) would most likely wear coveralls, face mask and face shield (for splatter protection). Hands and feet would be covered as well.

The nurses in Dallas probably got infected in the disrobing stage.

afaik, a hazmat suit would basically mean being hermetically sealed and taking a full shower to decontaminate in a contained environment before disrobing. It would also mean, imo, that they're dealing with something far more riskier.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-ebola-islamic-terrorism-al-qaida-perspec-1016-j-20141015-story.html

yeah but can't see full pic. regardless, front line workers in West Africa, afaik, are wearing coveralls, infection gowns and little exposed skin if any. There's a fear about ebola that is bordering on paranoia in spite of following CDC protocols (21 day period, self monitoring etc.) for example... http://jimromenesko.com/2014/10/16/syracuse-university-disinvites-washington-post-photojournalist-over-ebola-fears/

Edited by woodenboater

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on this site much as I am having to battle cancer at the present time, however on the issue of Ebola there will be many cases I would expect that will be reported in the Belleville area and the hospital is prepared to deal with them. This last case that was found to be negative is a welcome relief and the person that had it is a armed forces member returning to Canada. As we see more of our service men returning to Canada from the African area you will most likely see that they are taking all precautions and be admitted to the hospital if they have any sign or symptoms of ebola. Hope this clarifies some of the misconceptions as most of these armed forces personnel fly home on their own aircrafts and not necessarily charted flights.

Regards,
Sam

Yes, there must be more to this then having body fluid come in contact with you because if you watch the news on TV these medical teams are in full blown hazmat suits. Never seen that when someone has the flue.

Catch the flu...odds are very good you'll survive

Catch Ebola...odds are very good you'll die

As you can see below, Ebola can be spread by coughing and sneezing which is why those around infected people wear hazmat suits. Who in their right mind would approach an infected person when a simple sneeze from that person could result in you taking a dirt nap?

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

What are body fluids?

Ebola has been detected in blood and many body fluids. Body fluids include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine, and semen.

Can Ebola spread by coughing? By sneezing?

Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease. Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

There seems to be much confusion on how it gets transmitted. Vomit and Diarrhea can also spread ebola VIA airborne particles, and those symptoms are normal with Ebola. My Sister is a nurse and has a special training seminar in regard to the transmission and spread of the disease. Its much more complicated then one would imagine, thats for sure

There is doubtless lots if confusion, and plenty of folks are terrified at the prospect of it being easily transmitable by air. Let's put things in perspective. This thing has been going since last December at the earliest undiagnosed, and since march with diagnosis and initial response and treatment. I am not an epidemiologist or a virologist, but I am pretty sure if it where "easily transmitable" that all of Africa would be a disaster zone right now, along with a good portion of the rest of the world. Let's all be thankful that so far it seems to be a virus that is harder to pass on, and let's hope it stays that way!