Transom Savers...who uses them?

Beavertail

I use it all the time when trailering my boat, lots of miles on the road, no issues at all.

I suggest the one with 4 little pinch pads on the heads, this design keeps the motor straight

http://www.basspro.com/Swivl-EZE-Pro-Adjustable-Head-Transom-Saver/product/10205180/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Initially I started with this type but it does not keep the motor straight and I think it could damage the paint when the motor flops over to the side

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Outboard-Boat-Motor-Support-Bracket/product/83274/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Whatever style you decide to get, make sure it is compatable with your trailer, some are only designed to be attached to a roller at the back of trailer,

you can also get one with the option of a little bracket you have to screw on the trailer

Edited by stonefish

The reason I'm asking is because my bolts loosened off on my lower unit the other day while on the water. I've been using my boat all season with no issues (haven't touched the bolts). I'm just trying to figure out how this could happen. It ruined a weekend trip and nearly cost me losing the whole unit to the bottom of the lake. I use a transom saver and can't think of any other reason...

I check/tighten my bolt every night when I fish Simcoe, Erie, Ont. and occasionally if I'm not on these waters.

I no of 6-10 motors that have fallen off from guys not checking. Even Bob had 1 come off on Simcoe.

You can buy spacer to go on your steering racket to stop motor from leaning to the side. The smaller motors have a screw that you can tighten to reduce this problem.

" Did you by chance have the impeller replaced recently? "

I didn't replace the impeller this season, haven't even touched the bolts all season. Not really bolts I check for tightness on a regular basis either, something you just don't think about. I will now moving forward.

Just kinda makes sense to me that for 60 bucks I get this:

"The triangle is the strongest, most stable geometric shape, and appears frequently in natural and man-made constructions and the main and supplementary support elements. A three-legged stool or table is the only kind that will not wobble,

cheap mathematical support for my investment. But as with the rivet vs welded hulls, there are two sides to this debate

I'm not saying a transom saver is a bad idea, just one I have never seen the need for and have never had a transom problem.

I think it really depends on the size of the motor you've got hanging off the back of your boat. I don't think I'd bother with a transom saver on say a 60hp or less.

My 30hp Honda weighs 185lbs and I'm pretty sure it bouncing around without a transom saver on the back of my last 16' tinner contributed to that boat's demise... that hull was only 330lbs. The hull around the support braces from the transom to the rear floor had stress cracks all along it. I guess it really depends on the boat. Bigger, better built boats can probably handle it fine, but for what they cost, it's pretty cheap insurance. I have one on my 16' Legend now, no problems after lots of towing.

Edited by Fisherpete

Been using one on almost all my boats for 20 yrs and never had a problem like that with any of them I have to one that has the rubber pinch pads on both sides and keeps the motor straight and everything's good the one I'm using now is from 2006 and probly 25,000km of towing on it and it's all good ......

Have always had one. Never thought about bolts loosening, why would they loosen? There is a great write up on Proctor Marine website about the advantages of using one by Larry Mellor. I have seen transoms flexing while driving down the highway behind a boat. I can't see why anyone with anything heavier then a 9.9 wouldn't use one. I also strap a rubber bungee around the bottom of the lower unit to the end of the transom saver. I don't want to drop a transom saver on the road after hitting an unseen pot hole. Overkill? I don't know but Larry does it and I bought his boat so that's what I do too.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I think it really depends on the size of the motor you've got hanging off the back of your boat. I don't think I'd bother with a transom saver on say a 60hp or less.

Hey, how did you know I have a 60hp motor..... :)

I always make sure my motor is turn all the way to the right so the steering rod is inside the motor while towing. Don't know if that makes any difference or not but it's worked for me for many years.

I suppose the roads you travel also play into this quite a bit.

I use 1 and have for a while. I dont even use the bungee cord anymore, haven't lost it yet. The other day I hit a huge bump and thought I lost it for sure but when I got to the lake it was still there.

I was out with a guy the other day and he only uses the small bracket that takes pressure off the hydros and thats it. He said the transom saver can push the boat off the trailer and place a lot of strain the the straps. I use big boat straps so I guess i dont have that problem.

He also said the torque of the big motor and the force of waves and rough water is far worse than the force on the transom when trailering.

Anyone had 1 of these push a boat off a trailer