Boat key

mattp33

Last week I had almost lost my boat key, turns out I left it where i got gas but it got me thinking...I only have 1 key for this boat, if I loose it I could be in trouble.

The boat is a Nitro bass boat and my question is where can I get 1 cut?

Do new boats come with 2 keys?

Do you guys have a spare for your boat?

A buddy and I one time got to the lake after 2 hrs of driving and he had forgot his keys, he has an old boat and told me not to worry as he reached for a swiss army knife in his console. He pulled out the can opener tool and sure as crap it turn the ignition and the engine fired to life! lmao

Not too sure where you can get a key cut but a quick suggestion.

When I purchased my boat about 8 years ago the seller told me to duct tape the extra key under the console.

Sure enough a couple of years later we got to the launch ( 2.5 hrs from my house ) I realized that I had misplaced the key.

I reached up under the console and peeled back the duct tape to find my extra key.

Problem solved ! Saved my a$$ that day

Just called BPS and got some new guy on the phone, says hes only been there a week. He told me that they have a box and they just mtch them up.

Great idea on the extra key under the console, I will be sure to keep an extra on the boat as well as a compartment key.

It is a merc so doens't sound like I will have much problems, anyone know roughly how much these things are?

Edited by mattp33

The simple answer is take the key into the dealer. They can get a replacement.

If the key goes into the motors forward controls the motor dealer can get replacements.

Also if you lose your keys that fit in the forward controls there is a # stamped either on the ring around the area the key slides into or if you're unlucky on the barrel of the cylinder (to read it you will need to remove the controls and remove the back plate).

I like the key taped under the console idea. Something interesting I noticed while on holiday this year. Most people left their keys in the ignition while their boats were at the dock including overnight. The cottage resort was a group of 11 cottages but on a moderately busy lake. I always brought mine in. It felt weird not to. I wouldn't leave them in my car. The cottage owner leaves the keys in his boats that have keys as well.

Edited by Walleye72

I have a bass tracker (Tracker marine. Same as Nitro) and am surprised you only received 1 key. I have two ignition keys and 4 or 5 compartment keys.

As stated above, any merc dealer will be able to get you the key you need. A spare is always a good idea and the duct tape trick is also a good one.

Just this year I started leaving the keys in both ignitions, hard to loose them unless they take the entire rig. My spare key for the big motor won't insert any longer. I keep that on my truck key ring. It won't be long the other key is worn too, actually it is worn as I have to play with it to turn. It is cheaper for me to change the ignition switch then for 2 more keys from Merc I was told at the marina. Ignition switch is less than $30.00.

I better do that.