Fishing "Jitters"

So again I'm up at "Lew" o'clock when I still had 45 minutes to go till my alarm...

Im in a tournament today and every single tournament I do is like this... Can't fall asleep... Then when I finally do I wake up every hour....

My wife just laughs at me and says I'm worse then a kid... Lol

Anyone else like me where fishing still gets you going like a kid on Christmas Eve...?

Any tournament guys out there that have got over this...?

Part of me feels rediculous for letting fishing wind me up like this... But another part of me likes it cause I get that feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve.... That pure excitement for something... Let's me know I still love fishing that much...

Anyways

Just killing time till I can head to registration ... Lol

Mike

Might be cancelled now... Crazy lightning storm rolling through...

Hopefully clears by 7am

We had that lightening a few hours ago Mike so it's working its way east, hopefully it doesn't ruin your tourney.

Absolutely! When the fire is gone from your belly you might as well give it up.

The fire is always there, but doing the same things all the time, dampens the fire, you have to re-invent yourself, ie fishing new waters, new techniques, fish new species etc, to keep the fire stoked,

I used to fish alone all the time so I never had a set time to leave... If I woke up in the middle of the night I would just go fish in the dark on the pier rather than toss and turn. Now my Dad always comes along and so we have a set time to head out. It is tough when you wake up 2 hrs before but have to wait around, but more than worth it for the company.

I can wake up to fish with about an hours sleep no PROBLEM totally read to go, but for work even 8 hrs isn't enough some days so that is how I know I still have the fire.

Been there ,lost it,now have it back in a big way. I dont have to worry about waiting. I just head out and who ever is fishing with me,can meet up when they get there.

I even head to the pier here and fish,have a cup of java before heading to work.

Hope you got out and good luck.

Edited by Misfish

The only fishing I do anymore is muskies on Lake Nippissing for a week in June and another 2 in August.

I live in the Kawarthas and am only 100 yards from Clear Lake, but haven't been on a local lake this year and I think only 3 times last year.

I still have the passion for big northern muskies but other than that, I've basically retired from fishing altogether.

I hear you there mike & everyone else !!! I'm programmed to be awake at 3:00am seven days a week mon-fri for work and on the weekends well it's fishing !!! Even in winter as I am a sledder too so it's all year long and the excitement for fishing is always there no matter rain or shine cause as soon as I get back from a day on the water I'm already planning my next trip and speaking of that I'm rigging rods and doing my boat stuff as I speak !!!! Lol !!!! Good luck today in the tourney mike !!!! Keep us posted I think you won it last year if I remember ?? Cheers

Oh no Lew...say it isn't so...

I have cut back considerably due to poor health but still get out when I can...

As far as the "jitters" are concerned...My bro-in-law likens it to the excitement and nervousness of a teenage boy about to lose his virginity... :whistling: :whistling:

Just did what I consider my first big tournement and I didn't sleep at all the night before. Maybe got a couple hours sleep at most and it really hurt me lol.

I lost a fish and freaked out and tossed a rod into the lake...looking back it was pretty silly, I have never done that before. Good thing I was shallow and could see the tip pointing out of the weeds so I got back. We still had a great day and laughed about it all day. We don't talk about the results although respectable, we talk about the "melt down"

Next tournement I will probable not sleep the night before either :)

I used to have the same problem when I fished tournies. I would screw around in the garage till midnight working on my kit. Then order a pizza for dinner with a few brewskies. Make my lunch for the next day which was left over pizza, then hit the rack. Toss and turn all night and be up two hours before my fishing partner shows up to pick me up.By the way I found cold pizza was the best lunch because you could eat it at 6o miles per hour and not waste fishing time.

I get it bad too... especially season openers and trips I look forward to all year. Packing in advance and a few beverages the night before helps calm things down but it's never easy getting to sleep when you're pumped to get up the next day.

Count me in as one of those afflicted

On our trips even when last to bed I always seem to be first up. So much so on our last trip I got banished from the cabin to wait up at the lodge until breakfast was ready

I'd make myself useful and start coffeee, clean out the boats and re tie any lines etc

For me it's both the excitement of the day and not wanting to waste a minute of the trip

Kind of along the same lines, a good day of fishing can really stick with you in your mind. You can reply most of the details in your head and almost FEEL the hooksets for days or weeks after.

I call it "The Echo"

I don't get it after all my trips ... only the really good ones. Its how I know I've experienced something really special.