4 Days at a Cottage - My daughter's PB!!

ccmtcanada

For the past few years, I head up to my cousin's cottage up on Paudash Lake. We were up there this past Monday to Thursday and although the weather was cool, we still had a blast!!

It turns out that my little boat can pull a tube just fine....my daughter and her friend wanted to do this every chance they got!!

F3BE7920-CD87-4C8D-8BA4-67BFD176FF42_zps

So the girls decided to fish off the dock for a bit. Using and ultralight rod, my daughter tips the hook with a tiny 1/4" piece of worm. The goal was to catch the smallest fish possible so they could put them in a little container. A few minutes later I hear "Daddy!! Come and help!!". I figure I need to put another worm on, but as I get closer I see her rod going crazy and she's all excited! I look over the edge of the dock and saw a huge bass going crazy!! With no net around, I reach in and grab it's bottom lip. Just as I do this, the hook pops out and I saw that the hook was straightened! This was a GREAT fish and by far her PB!!

461FCF83-4CC2-40F3-87DD-8EFF8DDB537E_zps

After she catches that fish, they moved to the other dock to look for smaller fish again... :dunno: LOL.

I throw on a senko and cast out towards a weed bed that's just off the dock. I retrieve it and as it gets to the dock I let it sit there for a few seconds. All of the sudden, another bass that was sitting under there grabs the senko and it goes crazy!

8CDDD721-BCD7-496B-BE91-2EA81775E3CA_zps

I woke up early every morning and was on the water by 6am....while the girls slept in til at least 9 every morning! Nothing like having your morning coffee on the boat in this setting....

BC7809F9-34ED-4679-AFA4-A3889B553C29_zps

FFF7F6EF-913B-4D6B-A77E-7BAB556CA14E_zps

I ended up catching lots of fish around this size....

7ADA1009-5AE4-4D07-B704-F862FEBABE21_zps

But also got some nicer ones...

A80A5A04-51AB-474C-9105-01B9D977761F_zps

E8517085-BD67-4DE0-908D-B1601C6F5D1D_zps

Also got this surprising smallie!

790B58A4-6C0D-4DDD-86E6-9A3EE7916047_zps

One morning I saw something odd coming at me so I snapped this picture....

9AC0C56D-67C4-4440-82C4-0F55E0B63178_zps

It went straight under the boat and then popped to the surface!

37EDAE39-150E-4E6B-915D-45EC7E749391_zps

It then decided to follow me all around the bay! I've never had that happen before and it was definitely pretty cool :)

Another great visit in the books! Wish I had a cottage on a great bass lake!!

Edited by ccmt

Good report !! Funny how they catch a big guy n move spots looking for smaller fish lol .

If i had to bet i would say that ppl on the lake are feeding the loons.

In Algonquin its getting really bad, just about every pair of loons u see will come right over n follow ur canoe for hours looking for handouts.

Its unfortunate to say the least.

Now u got me dyin for August 8 to come as ill b heading to the cottage for pike n bass!!

Nice! I just did the same thing, week at our family cottage! The 6am-9am fish is pretty well the only time you get to yourself with the kids there. The rest is all tubing , lol! I never in my life thought I would go on a family vacation only to be setting the alarm at 5:30am every day!

Just got back from a week away too. I think the kids had more fun fishing off the dock than in the boat to be honest. They got some good bass on the good ole hook and worm too! Funny how that works, eh? Good times regardless!

S.

Some real nice bass you guys got. Well done!

The same thing happened to me on the Long Weekend with a loon. Never seen it before but it happened twice. First you think it s a fish and it looks huge. Kind of scared me the first time.

Where did you get that tow rope with the splitter?

Whats the yellow plastic bait you were using?

Sounds like a great trip Cliff & congrats to your daughter on the PB.

I can't believe how much she's grown since I last saw her.

As for your loon picture, looks like I've got one of his twin LOL

Cnv0465.jpg

As my cousin in Brooklyn says " Ferged aboud it". Can't beat times like that, to be cherished for life.

All I ever wished for in my life was a little cottage on a lake, a few wives and a few McMansions latter I finally did it. The smartest thing I ever did. We loved coming here so much we moved in full time. It's cold in the winter, hot and muggy sometimes in the summer, clothes get damp and musty, it's crazy windy, 20 foot drifts last winter, it takes 25 minutes to get groceries. But,,,,,,,, I've quadrupled my investment over 15 years. No way I could afford it then, 2 mortages???? said I shouldn't and couldn't do it. My record for smallmouth out front is 30 casts and 24 fish landed. How much is that worth?

As the Nike commercial says,"Just do it".

Where did you get that tow rope with the splitter?

He got it from me. :D You should be able to find them at any place that carries towables. They come in a variety of designs. Ask for a self-centering tow harness.

Nice report Cliff and awesome to see everyone had a great time. Congrats on the PB!!