Steel Leaders? Use them?

I have been experimenting with heavy flouro leaders and steel titanium leader quite a bit in the last few years.

Pros and cons to both.

100 # flouro learders have been bitten clean through by big pike. not very often but it has happened. A couple of true trophy fish lost ( not to mention the lure )

The action of the bait was not compromised with 100 # flouro. Back to back uni knot works well. I usually tie on an 18inch leader and inspect and shorten often when I start to see knicks.

Started using tieable titanium leader from a few different companies with mixed reviews.

20# Terminator and 20 # Knot to Kinky seem to work well. A little tough to tie knots but once you get it right it seems to work well. Back to back uni from leader to main line and a loop ( rapala ) knot to the clip.

This leader WILL kink once a couple of fish wrap around the line. This does effect the action of the lure. The weight of the leader also makes the bait sink a little bit pointing the nose down.

I would suggest bringing both types of leader material and experiment to see which you prefer. or use both

80- 130lb flouro leaders, i have been using the 100 lb most often. Highdrifter tied me some real nice ones that i caught a couple 40"+ pike on.

I have not been bit off on a flouro leader but it now concerns me to hear someone else has. If im trolling i like to use the heavier 130 lb. i dont use wire at all anymore

It's been nearly 15 years since I've used wire leaders. I've never been bitten off by any esox and te bonus is that if the fish rolls or is the least bit acrobatic, he won't be cutting himself up on the wire. I also use 80 to 130lbs for both casting and trolling.

For me it depends on the lure, e.g., for jerkbaits - I like wire for the action and little added weight; for swimbaits - heavy flouro to keep the bait up; gliders - flouro. Actually, the only rod I have a wire leader tied to is my jerkbait rod.

I usually tie 50lb flouro leaders for pike. I keep a key eye on them and replace when needed. For swimbaits or tubes I sometimes go to 100lb. The only pike I've broken off due to leader issues have been on broken snaps. But maybe I've been lucky. I have yet to try the tieable wire leader material but will be.

If you're asking if leaders are necessary for pike - yes they are 100% needed. If you need something easy, a few packs of 30lb wire leaders is all you need.

I have used both. I like floro, but I started to use Malins Boa No Kink Titanimum leaders. They're a bit hard to tie at first, but once you get the hang of it they're great but a bit pricey. I have not had any major issues with line kink, even after larger pike. I like the peace of mind that I don't have to worry about getting bitten off. That being said I still carry floro and mono with me in the boat (in the 90-100 range), incase I need to make a switch. For topwaters I only use the mono as I find any line that sinks hurts the action of my baits.

When running 80-100lb flouro, I really don't worry about getting off. Haven't yet. I also gotta think there was a defect that caused the break, have you seen how thick 80lb flouro is? it's almost rope :)

I always used wire on my musky set-ups but got tired of them kinking with every decent fish.

I switched over to 130 pound Seaguar fluoro 8 or 10 years ago and have never had an issue with them.

I make my own leaders using crimps and # 5 or 6 snaps & swivels and use 10" for jerk/twitch baits, 16-18" for casting and 48" for trolling.

Excellent stuff.

Edited by lew

Heavy fluoro most of the time for me.

When I'm throwing lighter stickbaits like the largest Husky Jerks it's 20lb titanium. The heavy fluoro sinks too much and impedes the action of the lure.

That said 90% of the big pike I catch are never hooked that deep, fact of the matter a leader isn't even necessary. Still need one just in case though.

is the OP looking for store bought, or wants to make your own? strictly pike fishing or walleye too I'd guess?

I'm about 50/50 mono/fluoro vs steel or titanium wire....use the titanium wire for lighter baits and plastics in the weeds, cuts through easier

if I'm targeting walleyes and know there will be some good sized pike involved, I like the titanium wire in 6-12lb tests, specifically a brand called Knot 2 Kinky, easy to tie once you get the hang of it, relatively kink proof and doesn't affect action too much

big fan of the Rio steel tippet in the fly section, few manufacturers with similar products

if you're buying store bought, make sure they come with a good snap, a lot of the cheap ones don't, sucks when they pull open

I always used wire on my musky set-ups but got tired of them kinking with every decent fish.

I switched over to 130 pound Seaguar fluoro 8 or 10 years ago and have never had an issue with them.

I make my own leaders using crimps and # 5 or 6 snaps & swivels and use 10" for jerk/twitch baits, 16-18" for casting and 48" for trolling.

Excellent stuff.

I almost never use a swivel and snap for my leaders. I find in most cases I like the action of my baits when tied direct to my leader material. It may be that a lot of the time I fish super heavy weeds and I find the different parts collect gunk though :whistling: I find the direct tie just slices through the weeds.

Besides when using a spoon or something with a high line twist, why do you like the snap and swivel for fishing? I've never noticed much line twist tying direct with a double uni or a improved albright knot. I guess it's personal preference?

Edited by mattaw