Need help re jacking boat trailer...

Beans

My bro-in-law has had his boat and trailer parked in my back yard for the past three years...I guess the weight of all the snow the past winter has caused one of the tires to go flat...We tried pumping it up with my cigarette lighter type air pump but it wouldn't take the air...I'm guessing the tire seal has been busted...my question is: where is the best spot to place the jack?...Under the frame behind the wheel?...

If and when he finds out how to remove his jack from the back of his 2010 Jeep 4x4 Wrangler we will remove the wheel from the trailer and take it in for repair...The disc he received at the time of purchase of the Jeep was no help at all and the manual on-line costs $36...I haven't bought a new vehicle for many years but back then you got a manual with the vehicle...more nickel and dimeing the public...like they don't charge enough for vehicles all ready... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Norm

Have him go to Princess Auto and buy a scissor jack. They are compact and he can keep it on the boat.

Lift the frame like others have said.

And yes a good piece of wood under it.

Lew :good:

Edited by Misfish

It is an Alumacraft with the trailer that came with it brand new...he may have a buyer for it in Ports of Newcastle, so he needs to get it down there to clean it up etc...It was very heavy for him to lift while I kicked the cement block from under the hitch...too heavy to put the block back...It may be full of water for all we know... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

say what

Yep, when I'm working on it around the house I use my floor jack and lift off the corner and then place a jack stand in front on the side rail.

If I have to jack in the field I do it using a bottle jack just behind the tire. ;)

Boat3.jpg

Norm try a real air compressor if you have one. The small compressors do not have the volume to reset a bead. If you get it jacked up before you take it off take a ratchet strap and go around the tire the same direction as the tread and ratchet it till it is tight. Start inflating and as soon as you have around 10 lbs take the strap off and finish filling it.

Art

Norm try a real air compressor if you have one. The small compressors do not have the volume to reset a bead. If you get it jacked up before you take it off take a ratchet strap and go around the tire the same direction as the tread and ratchet it till it is tight. Start inflating and as soon as you have around 10 lbs take the strap off and finish filling it.

Art

Oh my,talk about some old school. :worthy:

Beans I have to work tomorrow but I can try to get over on Wed. or Thursday if that works for you.

I can bring my compressor and jack.

There he goes again, name change coming soon, SUPERCLIFF. faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings, move 20 yards of gravel, will fix any &$)(; up and rarely asks for any money (well for parts). . .

The order of Canada is comIng your way or at least a Lindsay mention for outstanding contribution.

You will live forever, we need you on this earth.

I bought a scissor jack from the wreckers for $5.00. I keep it and the appropriate lug wrenches and a piece of 3/4" plywood (8" X 16") in a small tote bag when I tow the boat. I found once, when I had a flat tire on the boat trailer, the normal bottle jack I had would not fit under the frame with no air in the tire. I had to pull everything out of the truck to get at the vehicle jack.

Art

I was going to say the exact same thing. Those little air compressors are handy but don't always do it. I did exactly what Art said a couple of weeks ago with my wheelbarrow tire. Ratchet strap, air compressor and everything. Worked perfect. Took 2 minutes once I got the tire off.

There he goes again, name change coming soon, SUPERCLIFF. faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings, move 20 yards of gravel, will fix any &$)(; up and rarely asks for any money (well for parts). . .

The order of Canada is comIng your way or at least a Lindsay mention for outstanding contribution.

You will live forever, we need you on this earth.

Nothing SUPER here my friend, and I don't move quite so fast anymore LOL. When you have had so many people on this board do things to help you, you jump at the chance to repay some of that kindness! Besides that Beans is a very special buddy, I think he was probably the very first member of this board that I actually hooked up with to do some fishing. Got to try to take care of him, he is a legend!

BTW Beans, let me know which day works for you?

"BTW Beans, let me know which day works for you? "

Either day is good for me Cliff...Uncle Dave was making noises about coming up on Friday but I have my doubts...I can call him tonight and let him know what is happening...or should we just surprise him...?

My bro-in-law probably knows less than me about boats but buys bigger and better ones...

The "Tin of Beans" and trailer only cost me $250 until two of the best people Nanook (Jack) and Cliff tore it apart then handed me a shopping list for new parts and plywood for seats and transom ($250 after machining the new hubs)...

Good times and a labor of love...LOL

Edited by Beans

Cliff was here early this morning with his jack and compressor and left about a half an hour later after he double checked the air pressure in both tires...WHAT A GUY EH !!!

Called my Bro-in-law and left a message that his boat is good to go...

Thanks again my friend... :clapping:

I didn't tell him about the starter fluid way of inflating a tire.

Art

That would have just been crazy Art. Christ, Beans with starter fluid and a lighter under a boat right beside some beautiful trees and the house only 20' away????? I'd have had a lot more than a tire to fix LOL. BTW I have used that technique and it does work but I'll bet someone has been hurt with it!