walleye and mayflies

captpierre

The walleye bite has slowed on Pigeon this last week.

Seem to remember an article in a magazine that said eyes will feast on lakebottom mayfly nymphs in season.

There's a ton flying around the lake

Or do I need to change tactics.

Been getting them on 5 inch pumpkinseed grub/jig or bucktail

Typical for the mayfly hatch is a wicked tick on the very first drop.

Watch a few vids on mayflys and 1 only a small % make it to the surface and 2 most make it off bottom then run out of energy and sink back to bottom.

So my strategy is to make the most first drops as possible, most times not hopping the jig once. Just cast hit bottom reel in cast hit bottom reel in.

" For example, the emergence of one species of Hexagenia was recorded on Doppler weather radar along the shores of Lake Erie.[3] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfly

Years ago on a trip to Pointe au Baril there was a mayfly hatch going on, they were everywhere and rafts of them floating on the surface of the water with fish rolling on them constantly. It was our worst trip ever, the fish seemed to be gorging o them to the exclusion of everything else.

Maybe a fly rod and wet flies? Match the hatch?

Edited by OhioFisherman

" For example, the emergence of one species of Hexagenia was recorded on Doppler weather radar along the shores of Lake Erie.[3] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfly

Years ago on a trip to Pointe au Baril there was a mayfly hatch going on, they were everywhere and rafts of them floating on the surface of the water with fish rolling on them constantly. It was our worst trip ever, the fish seemed to be gorging o them to the exclusion of everything else.

Maybe a fly rod and wet flies? Match the hatch?

Unlikely that there are hexes around this early, my guess would be brown drakes but I could be wrong. I'd jig a small tube or slowly swim a soft hackle near bottom if you wanted to match it. Got any close up pics of them?

Unlikely that there are hexes around this early, my guess would be brown drakes but I could be wrong. I'd jig a small tube or slowly swim a soft hackle near bottom if you wanted to match it. Got any close up pics of them?

Christopher, that was just some info off of wikipedia, I never went to Ontario before the opening day of bass season myself, and it's been a lot of years.

It seem to me that our trip that was shortly after bass season opened, back in the 1970's so the memory and trips run together.

I am still putting fish in the net almost every evening I dare to venture out and brave the mosquitoes. In-line spinners; remove the trebble hook and put a single bait holder hook on it, Texas rig that with a 3" twister tail to minimize weed hook ups and fish about 2-3' off bottom in areas where there is some weed growth or just off the established weeds. My best results are coming from mud bottoms and in 4-8 fow.

find a mud flat, or wherever the flies are I guess lol... use a small split shot to get the fly down and just use flies until the mayflies are gone. then switch back to minnows and gurbs or whatever was working before you switched :P

Cliff, you mean like a #3 Mepps?

Same sort of thing. I have been making my own lately so I have been able to play around with colors and weights and that is where I came up with the idea of using a single hook instead of the trebble. Texas rig it and it is almost weedless.

Slow death hook, tiny piece of worm, maybe 2 inches long. Hold on.

bingo

that mud bottom is also a good idea

and i'm pretty sure it's the larvae they want and less (not always) of the flies on top

walleyes are usually gorged on this hatch

We still get em on cranks here... And they bite well too.... Just so many shad flies it'll drive most guys crazy...

yes arent they insane mike !!! i have fished many years on the ottawa river and they have a massive hatch up there too !!!! i hope its on right now too,as im going on a few weeks vacation,and might end up down your way as well as the ottawa river for walleyes !!!! woo hoo

yes arent they insane mike !!! i have fished many years on the ottawa river and they have a massive hatch up there too !!!! i hope its on right now too,as im going on a few weeks vacation,and might end up down your way as well as the ottawa river for walleyes !!!! woo hoo

Let me know if your hitting the Larry.... Maybe we can fish...

Hey Buddy the best way to get on these walleyes would be round 8:30-9:30 on a sandy flat meets an edge of weeds concentrate your efforts in anywhere from 3-6ft in depth and use Rapala oringinals or lucky stick baits use floats in these depths suspending is useless i promise you fish!

I fish pigeon quite a lot hopefully your still reading this lol.... Try the sandbar near Grenidier Island and Have fun

Cheers guys

Capt.

To your erie Deerie question.

I have tried them when i was about 12 ever since then i focus on finding green weeds especially fishing Pigeon Lake Ont. I will let you in on a secret, try rip jigging a black buck tail 8 pound test braid with 10lb fluro lead try to find thick weeds that spread out to thinner weeds and start there 6 feet to 12 ft good luck i Miss Pigeon Lake everyday i should blessed I'm on erie , but Im a kawartha kid at heart !!!