walleye and mayflies

captpierre

Technically you are correct and you need a microscope and a reason to find the difference. For fishing purpose just go with stone fly.

I've tried lot's of patterns for walleye with limit success.

Always do better with adjusting my cadenza.

No they aren't....

Technically you are correct and you need a microscope and a reason to find the difference. For fishing purpose just go with stone fly.

No he's not technically correct, he's 100% correct, you are mistaken.

Stoneflies and Mayflies are not even from the same genus.

Mayflies and stoneflies are actually extremely easy to tell apart from each other, and subspecies (at least the ones we care about) aren't hard to differentiate between either. Mayflies all have upright wings, stoneflies however have overlapping wings that cover the body. Mayflies are also the only one of the two (to my knowledge) that you will find in lakes.

ya walleyes don't care witch way there wings are going. They are choking on the nymphs. Earlier this week on a lake north of Lindsay the hatch was crazy.

3 different looking hatches, the light tan color, one with a dark body and darker wings then a few almost black. At one point we were in 30 ft of water with what looked like weeds coming 10 ft off bottom. It was the nymphs swimming up, took about 15 minutes until the surface was covered in cases.

The walleyes were catchable 2 hard snaps and catch the bucktail high and hold it there was good for 25-30.

Yesterday on walleye meca small hatch all tan colored ones traditional hard snap hit bottom was good for same numbers.

we use small church boards with a system. try 15ft of line out with custom l.s.clair advantage harnesses with a worm. . the lead zeppelin weight painted ahead of the harness. 15 ft off the boards with a lead zeppelin 1oz. at 1.5 will give you 8ft of depth over 11ft of water. it sure works well for spooky walters.

I had to work hard for 2, jigging in the weeds isn't my favorite technique either, 6-10 feet, white twister, 3", small piece of worm

100_3100_zpsa7c39140.jpg

IMO, the pics are no longer on fire,

there wasn't much on the surface, but my sonar was marking lots of streaks that looked like emerging insects, when in deeper water (not weed choked)

Garnet- just to clarify, bucktail jig, hit bottom, 2 hard snaps and hold it up on the 2nd snap? in the weed or where you were marking emerging bugs? 30 walleye? nice job!

ya walleyes don't care witch way there wings are going. They are choking on the nymphs. Earlier this week on a lake north of Lindsay the hatch was crazy.

3 different looking hatches, the light tan color, one with a dark body and darker wings then a few almost black. At one point we were in 30 ft of water with what looked like weeds coming 10 ft off bottom. It was the nymphs swimming up, took about 15 minutes until the surface was covered in cases.

The walleyes were catchable 2 hard snaps and catch the bucktail high and hold it there was good for 25-30.

Yesterday on walleye meca small hatch all tan colored ones traditional hard snap hit bottom was good for same numbers.

The point of my question was to try to determine if the trout streams up there might be hosting a major hatch. I don't doubt the walleye don't care, but there certainly is a major difference between these bugs.

Nice fish there Chris!

My GF and I laid the smackdown on eyes this morning at first liight, but it shut down quick. We put 15 in thhe boat in less than 2 hours, and had to work for them after that. Didnt notice any bugs at all.

S.

All week long there were hatches of mayfly a on sturgeon lake there empty shell casings are floating all over !!! We also had a few smallies puke some up at the side of the boat !!!! And in the early morning right after daylight they are sucking them off the surface !!!! Kinda cool didn't see any mayflies in Haliburton lake yesterday tho seems that the kawarthas is where they are hatching this week !!! They seemed to be the smaller mayflies too more of a brown/black color at least on my lake anyways

Chris the OP title Walleye and Mayflys if you want to talk dry flys start a topic.

In the nymph (you have looked at life cycle of stone and may flys) stage you need a magnify glass the tell the difference between stone nymphs and may fly nymphs.

You won't find walleye eating may flys off the surface the do gorge on the swim up stage.

And Chris B this is a rocky weedline lake and we where fishing very scatter grass in 13.5. The point I'm making is to develop a wide range of presentations with bucktails and find one to trigger walleyes.

Mayfly's.Shadfly's are all Stone fly's. There are 100's of variety's

The hatch today was just wild.

What you are seeing hatching out there definitely aren't stoneflies. Most likely brown drakes (ie mayflies).. In the nymph stage they all look very similar (kinda like Atlantic and brown smolts) but calling them stoneflies is incorrect.

And being out there when there's a hatch on can be crazy! (And frustrating at the same time if I've left my 4wt at home!)

Edited by BillM

When they mature and fly off the water yes bill they are easy to id. When they are nymph's not Chirs k not me and not you bill can id them.

So getting back to OP who would like to try fly's for walleye. Just stick to the stone nymphs patterns. I hope you have more success than I did.

Your top water walleye likely came in Sept on the frog migration. Always funny watching walleye hit top water.

I've taken some good walleye at this time of year (June) with the fly rod using emerging patterns and dry fly patterns representing the Hexagenia hatch (both Rigida and Limbata) which is what is happening now. These large burrowing still water mayflies (aka shadflies not stoneflies) are what the walleye are keying in on right now where they are present. Which is most every lake in the province.

Many tactics will work just keep the presentation small, a 1" tail piece of a dewy dragged or suspended on a small wire hook can be dynamite.