Weed wacker choices and thoughts ?

mattybculp

Hi everyone, I need to purchase a new/used Weed whacker and push lawn mower. I have a decent size property and already have a JD rider but I need a weed whacker and a push lawn mower. what do you use for both and what are your thoughts on them.? I have read some reviews on line but I never trust them lol. For a weed whacker I was looking at a stihl or echo, I would like to get the most bang for my buck I have probably $225 after taxes budget for a weed whacker. I have also been looking around on kijiji for a used push mower as I only need it for a long hill, there was an old lawn boy maybe early 90's that apparently runs , guy wants 50 bucks. any who let me know. I very much appreciate it

I use a Stihl FS55R and am really happy with it and got it at Hemmings over on Lansdown. I originally purchased a curved shaft model and didn't like it, so I exchanged it for the straight shaft and like it alot better.

As for the push mower, I've got one sitting here and it's yours if you want to come up and get it, I'm just north of Youngs Point.

It's a 4 year old Yard Machine with a Briggs & Stratton 4 stroke motor and 20" blade and it runs great and normally starts on the 1st pull, infact I just fired it up a couple days ago after sitting all winter and it fired up 1st pull.

Only getting rid of it as I bought a new one for doing the trimming where the riding mower won't reach.

001-4.jpg

Edited by lew

Wow Lew, thank you! That is just awesome, you truly made my day! I work in the north end of Peterborough so it would be a short drive for me to meet up with you. Perhaps if your around Friday late afternoon I could swing by. thank you again and I will have look at that shop on Lansdowne. I will PM you to find out a date and time that is convenient for you and your address.

I have a Poulan Pro from Walmart now, 5 years and over 4 acres of land. It uses pre cuts trimmer line, like .095 and they last well and are easy to change. It was around 125 bucks here, so for the price of some of the others you could get two.

Got the same one for three years now,,,,works great

Whatever trimmer you choose, make sure you buy a better head for it like a Grass Gator pre cut line head so you never have to mess around with winding spools that often have feeding problems. I'm not sure if that's the brand I have, but mine takes two pre cut lengths of trimmer line and to install new line you just push a button and insert the lengths of line and to adjust the length you just push the button and move the line. You can run 4 full length lines, but my girly gas trimmer isn't powerful enough to spin the 4 lines so I stick with two.

As for line, stay away from the old school round lines and opt for heavy duty square, star, or pentagon shaped line as it cuts much better requiring much lower RPMs to do the job and lasts a very long time. The two lengths of square line I use cuts so easily that I increased the idle speed a touch to keep the trimmer spinning so I don't even need to touch the throttle 3/4 of the time. Cruise control if you will. :canadian:

For that generosity Lew, you should have the whitest teeth in Peterborough, Matt if you need parts for the Briggs, on Parkhill Road east heading towards Donwood, but just over the canel bridgethere is a shop i believe its called MG powersports, on the right hand side of the road heading east

stihl is by far my favourite brand out there right now. I have used a 20 year old stihl on the farm I used to work at and when it was time to by a supper snipper, I chose the FS45. It is a curved shaft but works quite well. I would recommend a straight shaft but I think they may be out if your price range. If you can swig one, go for it though. They are usually the ones that have multiple head configurations as well.

I have a Stihl and I am very happy with it,

My next one will be a Honda, 4 stk

no mixing oil,

You might want to read some reviews on it before you spend the money. They weigh more and I have worked on some of the 4 stroke trimmers, not fun!

Well I did a little research and went to a local place here in town that deals with stihls which Lew recommended they were quite informative and nice to deal with. I ended up spending a little more than I had planned but feel as though I got a decent weed trimmer I got the Stihl FS 56 RCE straight shaft. It was apparently on sale for a 229.00 plus tax. Thanks for all you insight and help.

You might want to read some reviews on it before you spend the money. They weigh more and I have worked on some of the 4 stroke trimmers, not fun!

Weight is really not an issue for me, I am not on a big lot, 10 minutes and I am done trimming,

I currantly own 2 Honda vehicles, a lawnmower, snowblower and a generator, I am sold on Honda reliability and ease of starting. Always done my research before purchase,

Like anything else, proper maintenance is the key.

But like I said, I own a Stihl grass trimmer, and I do like it, it will probably outlast me if I don't get tired of mixing oil and decide to sell.