I'm looking for a shot gun

tender52

Hi all.

I am wondering if anybody has a good used shot gun for sale? I have my pal and hunter saftey course for abut 10 yrs now, and havent done anything with it. (Kids are older now) Not exactly sure what I want, but gonna start with skeet/trap shooting to get some practice in, and small game. (Rabbits)

I would like to keep it $400 and under.

Also I'm kinda considering the Stoeger M3500. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin

Stay away from Stoeger. I've had 2 friends that have had them break in the past couple years. Take a look at the winchester or remington pumps. Not pretty but serviceable! You should be able to pick one up new for your budget. Either that or look for a used browning BPS. Good luck!

Mossberg if you can find one. I've owned a couple of them for 40 years and they've been used and abused without any problems. Sounds like you are looking for a 20 guage for what you are planning to do with it. I'd never part with my Mossberg 20 guage.

The "redesigined" is the only part I have any conserns about! To me it sounds like a NEW gun without a track record. Don't get me wrong, I can't find fault with it because I have never used it but the 870 I do have has been swimming, burried in mud, dropped, bounced, left out in the rain and has never miss fired once in the probably 20 years I've had it! Doesn't mean it is the best gun for the money but I've never had a reason to use anything else.

Well the Remington 870 12 ga is a good solid gun and within your budget or the Remington 20 ga Wing master. I have both (not for sale though) and both have served me well for many years!

I've got a 20ga Wingmaster as well, love that gun.

The "redesigined" is the only part I have any conserns about! To me it sounds like a NEW gun without a track record. Don't get me wrong, I can't find fault with it because I have never used it but the 870 I do have has been swimming, burried in mud, dropped, bounced, left out in the rain and has never miss fired once in the probably 20 years I've had it! Doesn't mean it is the best gun for the money but I've never had a reason to use anything else.

The 870 combo I got from lebarron. Few years back. Basically Remington's cheapest 870 ever.

It has bad rust issues.

If you do some research you will find that the older 870s are better. Or the newer higher priced ones.

Don't cheap out. You will regret it. I do.

Go check out your local Canadian Tire. You can pick up a new 12 or 20 gauge for under $400.

could be a local thing, they don't list firearms on their site at all, probably better off going to a small outdoors store where you might be able to barter a hundred bucks off the price. a smaller shop is also more likely to have a firearm on consignment for a good price

Edited by FloatnFly

Scary thread title! I thought maybe someone on here(or maybe a bad driver) had really p$$ed you off!! :unsure:

Diddnt think about that. :oops: No man. I do have friends at the Galt sportsman club that would back me up.( Im not a member at the club though). A few ( at the club, and here) have said the Remington 870.

As I said Just getting into it. I have 2 hunter friends with major different oppinions

ex: stoger ( like 4 guns in one) I'm still not sure about barrel length!

I'm not that dumb, just looking for a good start.

I figure this is a good place to start.... Eventhough it's hunti'n not fishi'n

Cheers

Colin

My 870 has been thru hell and back, and always goes bang! Its my go to shotgun ALWAYS.....because it never fails.

Yes, they rust. A bit of rust adds character, but if you giver a wipe before ya put it away it wont rust. I keep an oily rag in the gun cabinet, and before anything goes back in, it gets wiped down. If its really wet, I'll giver a shot of remoil just for good measure.

Best bang for buck IMO. Get the 3 barrel combo if its in your budget, and you can hunt any game in ON with it.

The supermags seem to have some cycling issues once in a while ( seems random), but the magnums (3") seem to work flawless. No need for a supermag anyways. Learn to shoot and get your game close and you can kill it effectively with 2 3/4 shells anyways.

S.

The express 870's are not the same gun as the old 870's and certainly not the wing masters. They are a redesign. As for the comment about the the black shadow. The only thing I can see that is different is the stock and the stamp on the side. All the internals look very similar if not identical. Anyhow. The story on the 1300 was that some deal was made with the new factory to stop production on the 1300 for 3 years as a cool down period than bring it back under a new name. The SXP. I don't really know why, likely some marketing dufos. Anyhow, take a look at the reviews and put one on your shoulder. If it feels good and it comes the way you want it. For the price it's a far better gun that a mossberg 535 or a bare bones 870 express imo. And I have shot and owned both. Like I said, go shoulder one. Cycle it. Feel the trigger. Shake it. See how the fir and finish is. Dollar for dollar and sub 400 you will have a tough time beating it.

I have a Mossberg 500 and would highly recommend it. You can get the combo (smooth and rifled barrel) for about $400.

My buddy has a Browning BPS and loves it. I've shot it as well and would highly recommend it. You can get this shotgun for around $400 as well.

I wouldn't recommend getting any 870's. My other buddy has one and it jams frequently.

Hope this helps!

Been tinkering with pumps for years , especially vintage Winchester M12s

If I was to look for a new gun off the shelf today I'd be looking at saving up a few extra bucks and grabbing a Benelli Super Nova or Remington Wingmaster,

BPS is a great gun, bottom eject is nice for the lefties but wait till you have to strip it and clean it . It's tricky.

Value wise .... The Mossy covers everything , but lose the plastic safety and replace it with an after market metal safety ASAP .

Checkout canadiangunnutz.com a used older Wingmaster can be had for less then 400$

If you enjoy aftermarket parts stick with the 870 lines .

Quality is definitely an issue with all 870 expresses, but a lot of times it's nothing that some time and a dermal tool can't remedy .

Edited by Ryan Mc

My 8-9 year old 870 functions flawlessly and has zero rust even though it's been put through hell. A few examples:

-completely submerged in water twice

-disappeared in mud when retrieving downed geese

-frozen solid in freezing rain

-used as a bludgeon to finish off small game buried in thick brush

-dropped/banged on the ground, ice and trees a few times after falling

It's received a few makeovers too. Switched from stock to this:

Picture039.jpg

To having a scope and rifled 20" barrel for deer (apparently I lost that pic)

And now looks like this:

new870.jpg

I have owned several thousand firearms, of which a couple hundred have been shotguns. I know a thing or two about them.

The best shotgun will be one that FITS you; nothing can make a gun shoot properly for the shooter if the gun does not fit. So for example I have fairly short arms. The Browning BPS is a darned good pump action shotgun, and is much loved by left-handed shooters because the design ejects the spent shells out through the bottom of the receiver. BUT part of the "ejection port" is cut into the forestock, and when the action is cycled to eject the spent casing that spot in the forestock must be clear of obstructions including, in my case, my left hand. So a BPS in my hands is a single shot.

Winchester shotguns tend to have longer frames, which once again in my own case means I don't get a good fit.

Mossberg shotguns have a bakelite "twit" (see PS) in the trigger group that can shear if one fires a lot of magnum loads (as in goose shells for example). Once that piece shears off, the shotgun can slam-fire on closing (which can be a spiritual experience) and also will not lock up any more. The tang safety can also be a bit of a pain to use. But for light use, an older Mossberg 500 is a decent gun and can be purchased for not much money.

Anybody having issues with a Remington 870 is probably experiencing user error or fit issues. The 870 is probably the most dependable shotgun ever made and there are millions of them in use world-wide. Yes the Wingmaster guns are nicer than the Express models, but they are all reliable guns that are honest working guns. If an 870 FITS you, then that might be your best bet.

As somebody has mentioned, you can generally buy a good used gun on www.canadiangunnutz.com but you have to register to use the equipment exchange forums. If you do go there, you will find me there as Doug.

If you have any gun questions, feel free to send me a pm. And don't buy a gun of any kind without trying it out for fit. (Did I already say that?)

Doug

PS) I did not say twit for that bakelite part, I spelled that without a w. And that word best describes the part.....

Edited by akaShag

Thanks Doug. That did come in helpful. I went to the Galt sportsman club last wednesday and fooled around for a bit. One gun (I cant remember what it was) felt like the end of the barrel wanted to tip towards the ground. I just handed it back politley and said no.