solo fishing options

jedimaster

Looking for some real life, real world on the water opinions. I have done a fair bit of canoeing and some kayaking in the past and I am looking to do a fair bit of solo fishing this year for everything from lakers, walleye, bass, musky and pike.

I was thinking of either getting a kevlar canoe, a kayak or one of those one person pontoon things. The ability to portage would be great however fishability is key, I don't mind renting an ultralight canoe for those few portage trips I make. I have done the boat thing but I think I want to spend this year being human powered on the water. Any thoughts?

For a canoe I think I can figure that out without much difficulty, long and light. For kayaks though, sit in or Sit on, can I stand up? How difficult is it? I tend to stand in a canoe while I fish if its calm so I have decent balance. Rudder, no rudder How much gear can be stowed? Enough for a weekend or long weekend on an isand? I want to be able to mount a flasher or graph for when I am jigging oor fishing deepr water. Other than that my requirements aren't that plentiful. Rod holders would also be good, I guess I would need to be bale to anchor, store a cradle etc... if anyone has any models or makes to stay away from or ones they love that would be great. I am looking for something new or used under 1k ideally.

Edited by jedimaster

Good thread man!

I'm planning some solo fishing/camping trips this year. Gunna have to follow this thread close!

For me, it's very situation if I chose the canoe or the yak. Weather, length of trip, portage routes, amount a gear, type of fish I am going for. If I where you, I'd get both a canoe and kayak.. If you're going to do it a lot....

As for the rest of my "solo" gear.. I just use what I have. I'm really cheap that way.

My first trip solo this year will be a 3 day camping/fishing trip around a local "popular" loop. Early June is penciled in to the calendar as of now..

You got any trips planned out yet? That might help get some input on gear..

Ie... My loop in June runs through part of G-Bay, so I need to be able to handle some chop... Things like that will dictate your gear..

If this is going to be a dedicated fishing machine, I think I'd go with a kayak. Those things can be tricked out with everything for a day on the water. I'm a canoeist so that's where my loyalty lies but not as easy to set up with graphs, holders etc.. Get a dolly for the 'yak and you can portage with relative ease. Think there were some pretty good videos of yak fishing on this site somewhere.

Dude I know puts out this magazine, maybe check it out ? http://www.rapidmedia.com/kayak-fishing.html

I too would go with the canoe for those longer trips. I have had several over the years, not too long (14' max) for one person. Something wide so it is stable. I have never owned a Sports Pal but know a few people that have and for what you described it sounds like a match. From what I am told they are almost imposible to flip but they are still light and easy to manouver.

I'd go for a yak for places close to your vehicle - also get a cart as it is easier to roll a yak down to the lake rather than carry it (very cumbersome!). These things can be real heavy and awkward.

If you plan to do portaging to back lakes by yourself, a small kevlar canoe would be my choice.

I have both and I like the yak for those accessible places. I have it fitted with a fishfinder, etc. Very very stable.

..I'm into a yak this year..going to keep to the basics to start-at least a fishfinder and rod holder and see where it goes from there. Mostly day trips for me-already making my list of where and when! -skdds

id get a square back canoe, easy to stand up on, very stable, can use a trolling motor if you don't feel like paddling, kayaks are nice but you really have to time your trips so that theres little to no wind where as a square back can handle the wind a little better, still not like a boat though. kayaks are nice for portaging because they are light and can be carried easily, canoes weight a bit more but again more stable. Ive stood up in kayaks in calm water no problem but in windy conditions it won't be enjoyable. The good thing about a kayak is that you don't have to move, its small so all your equipment is within arm length away from you, also you can transport them easier when you are alone where as a canoe is usually a bit heavier unless you're looking to spend thousands on it and is more suitable for a couple of people. But another problem with the yak is that if you rig it with a fish finder, rod holders, etc, you won't be able to portage with it very easily and will have to look at more accessible places. Another one to condor is a "portabote" I've heard they are very stable and very easily transportable, but i can imagine the price on those things......... lol, heres a link: http://www.porta-bote.com

I have a 12 foot frontier fishing kayak and I love it. For years I always wanted a bass boat, now for the most part, I can fish anywhere I want with the Yak. Its great.

I apologize in advance, I'm going to hijack this thread a little. Does anyone know if its possible to put a downrigger on a fishing kayak to go for Lakers?

I have a 12 foot frontier fishing kayak and I love it. For years I always wanted a bass boat, now for the most part, I can fish anywhere I want with the Yak. Its great.

I apologize in advance, I'm going to hijack this thread a little. Does anyone know if its possible to put a downrigger on a fishing kayak to go for Lakers?

i don't know about a down rigger but I've used dipsey divers and 3 way swivels with great success, i doth know how you're gonna mount a down rigger on a kayak, lol.

Edited by BowSlayer101

I find myself this year with exchanging my weekends for long weekend mid week every week doing a lot of solo tripping. I have a pontoon boat like this

http://coverbonanza.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/32-009-010501-00_h.jpg but I use it for day trips only. It is great but not as good control wise as a float tube on still water but is superior on rivers to a float tube

This is what I just bought for my tripping

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/recreational/pack/

Its large capacity and low weight make it the ideal solo adventuring vehicle

Edited by Musky or Specks

Nothing beats a yak for solo fishing. A good SOT, compared to a canoe, is virtually immune to wind and far easier to handle on your own. Don't even think of taking a SOT on a portage-interrupted trip, unless the portages are short, flat, and level enough to use a cart. The achilles heel of SOTs are their weight and difficulty to carry. But, like you said, you can always rent a canoe for trips with portages.

Yes, you can put a downrigger on a yak.

Spend a bit of time over on yakfisher.net. The folks there are dedicated fishers of every conceivable species and have already asked and answered all the questions that you are asking.

I have a 16 foot kevlar canoe -great for canoe tripping and portaging but too tippy and catches too much wind for any real fishing. Also have sit in kayaks that I prefer over the canoe for general use but don't like too much for fishing.-sit too low in the water and too cramped. Also not great for portaging. I am looking at a sit on dedicated fishing kayak. Don't know if I want to pay $3K for a Hoble although could be great for trolling pedal powered.

Got one last year, frontier 12! Great boat for hunting and fishing, heavy at 78lbs though, however it can seat 2 if desired, which is nice!

This is my boat and the boat that dreams are made of. 2 years ago me and a buddy (weighs about 250 pounds) both sat on the same side of the kayak with our feet in the water and the thing was as sturdy as can be.

Another time me, Dynamic_Bear and a third buddy of ours all fished out of it. It was tight and only about 2 inches out of the water, but for 3 people on a kayak can you really complain?

I can just picture that with a 4' arm and a 10 lb cannon ball out the side :whistling:

I have paddled a canoe with a small portable scotty downrigger and it adds a lot of drag and makes things difficult. I don't think I would bother. A Dipsy diver, steel line, lead core, bottom bouncer all will give you similar results. And don't worry about hijacking, I am all for this thread being used for everyone to explore solo fishing ideas.

I am suprised that more people do not use paddleboards up North. I guess it has to do with you do get wet but down here lots of people strap a milk crate on the nose and fish the shallows. I would join them but I have a 10ft pelican that works for me and launches from the back of the pickup easily with one person.

Art