New host for HNIC

HTHM

George Stroumboulopoulos is going to be the next host of Hockey Night in Canada replacing Ron Maclean.

From the Spectators web site: George Stroumboulopoulos will reportedly be the next host of Hockey Night in Canada.

TSN reporter Bob McKenzie tweeted that the CBC host of George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight will become the face of the show when Rogers Communications Inc. takes control of Canada's NHL broadcasting rights next season.McKenzie also reports the Coach's Corner segment will continue another two years.A spokesperson for Sportsnet declined to confirm Stroumboulopoulos is the new host.McKenzie says Ron MacLean, who has hosted Hockey Night in Canada full-time since 1987, will still be involved with a reduced role.But he makes no mention of commentator Don Cherry, who has popularized Coach's Corner since first appearing on it in 1980.

Way to go Rogers! :angry: :angry:

I don't understand where Strombo will fit in? (He won't )

From the article:

The outspoken and iconic Cherry, who has been featured on Hockey Night in Canada since 1980, will continue the tradition of Coach's Corner with MacLean as the duo jostle for elbow room — as well as the last word.

“I knew that Rogers would never mess with the greatest segment on television," Cherry said.

Hey, I'm still not over Dave Hodge being canned. :lol:

… Flips his pen and walks away.

What the heck is with the black on white???? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

I remember when Strombo was on the FAN590 (might have been before it was at 590???). He has done sports, but as the host knowledge of sports isn't really the highest priority. It's setting up after coming back from commercials, going to commercials, setting up guests and panelist. He will also interview some guests, he can do that. He won't be doing play-by-play so you can still watch the games.

Edited by kickingfrog