Anybody hearing Frostquakes ??

lew

I keep "hearing" about them but I haven't heard them first hand. Not sure if the soil around here is ideal for them. :dunno:

I'm no expert on this subject, but I imagine that the groundwater level would have to be locally shallow and that the soil would have to be of the high-moisture-retention type.

I have well-drained sandy soil at my place, I doubt I'd have any major frost-heaving here.

Again, I'm no expert, but it's an interesting topic to consider and mull over.

I'm no expert on this subject, but I imagine that the groundwater level would have to be locally shallow and that the soil would have to be of the high-moisture-retention type.

I can't speak for anyone else in this thread, but my area has a high water table and shallow underground streams so I'm assuming that's the reason for around here and I would guess others hearing the noise would be in a similar type of situation :dunno:

Also interesting to note how many that have replied to this post have said they heard the bangs at 4:00 AM

I can't speak for anyone else in this thread, but my area has a high water table and shallow underground streams so I'm assuming that's the reason for around here and I would guess others hearing the noise would be in a similar type of situation :dunno:

Also interesting to note how many that have replied to this post have said they heard the bangs at 4:00 AM

Maybe a small earth quake?,seems to wide spread at the same time.Not sure myself.

But why do most hear it in the roof or on the roof? I assume most of us who live near lakes know what it sounds like and feels like when there are massive booms on the lake, yet these were more roof like. The one this morn sounded like someone threw a brick up on the roof. We have had some massive house shakers of expanding lake ice or perhaps a frost quake, but this was more rood top.

En

But why do most hear it in the roof or on the roof? I assume most of us who live near lakes know what it sounds like and feels like when there are massive booms on the lake, yet these were more roof like. The one this morn sounded like someone threw a brick up on the roof. We have had some massive house shakers of expanding lake ice or perhaps a frost quake, but this was more rood top.

En

perhaps its just the perception of sound direction? I know at our house when the river ice booms its "appears" to come from behind my house and not from the front which faces the river.

I haven't noticed this myself, it takes more than that to wake me at 4am, but could it be the ice from the freezing rain, on top of the snow on the roofs expanding and making the bang? Of course the weather network would make it out to be something like a "frost quake". I'm sure they just made that up to get more ratings.......

S.

I haven't noticed this myself, it takes more than that to wake me at 4am, but could it be the ice from the freezing rain, on top of the snow on the roofs expanding and making the bang? Of course the weather network would make it out to be something like a "frost quake". I'm sure they just made that up to get more ratings.......

S.

This was pretty widespread to be happening at the same time I would think.

Ummm it sounds like the start to hell freezing over up North.

Art

:whistling:

A Newfie died one day. Instead of going up, he went down. When he arrived in Hell, the Devil came up to him and said, "Hey Newfie, I hope you like the heat because it gets mighty hot down here."

The Newfie said, "Sure nuf, bye. The weather in Newfoundland is so bad that it's nice to get a bit of heat." And with that, the Newfie started to stroll around, quite content with the heat.

The devil decided that because this was hell, he couldn't have a happy Newfie in there. So he turned the heat up thinking that the Newfie wouldn't be able to handle it.

After the heat was turned up, the devil went out looking for the Newfie. He found him standing in front of a grill barbecuing and sing Newfie songs.

"Newfie!", the Devil shouted, "I have doubled the temperature down here and you seem to enjoy it even more than before?"

The Newfie replied, "Yes bye. The winter was so long this year and we didn't see the sun once. My old wood stove broke and I almost froze to death. This heat feels great!"

So, the Devil walked away, very upset that the Newfie is enjoying himself so much. Then the Devil had an idea. He thought that if the Newfie enjoys the heat so much, and hates the cold, that he would turn down the heat in hell so low that the Newfie would get cold and be unhappy.

A few hours later, with the temperature colder than anything Newfoundland has ever seen, the devil goes out looking for the Newfie. After a brief search, he see the Newfie dancing on top of a snow drift shouting, "The Leaf's won the playoffs! The Leaf's won the playoffs!"

I heard one Christmas Eve as well! Sounded like reindeer landed on my roof with a bang! It sounded like someone fell out of bed. Was around 11pm I think. I didn't hear anything last night. I read that the rain/freezing rain we had permeated the ground deeper than usual and when there are huge temperature drops, the expansion causes the quakes.

Pretty cool though!

I suppose that a loud bang outside could echo against the walls/ceiling of a house and cause auditory-misdirection (that might be the biggest word I've ever used :D) and make you think the noise is coming from the house...although houses do tend to make a lot of noise in the extreme cold.

My wife and woke up from a loud boom just before 6am and then we heard a smaller one around 6:30. First time for me. My wife made me investigate the house after the first one. I thought it may have been from a gas exposion and was looking for a fire in the area. Seems odd that I have never heard of a 'frost quake' before. I am going the conspiracy route: underground blasting for military bunkers in preparation for dooms day.

In my 40 years alive this is a first for me too hearing of such things. I have yet to hear and or feel one that I know of. I do wake up from time to time on the really cold nights but never to a 'boom' of some sort. It's usually to pee or a house guest giving me a nudge... ;):P

I have well-drained sandy soil at my place, I doubt I'd have any major frost-heaving here.

Again, I'm no expert, but it's an interesting topic to consider and mull over.

Yep, very sandy soil here. No worries for a wet basement but man the grass needs water in the summer.

I have heard that LOUD bang 3 times in the last week and a half and its always during the night time. Each loud bang woke me up out of bed freaking me right out. The first time I thought someone in my house fell out of bed so I checked on every one in my house. The second time I was convinced our house was haunted or that I was having some serious plumbing issues. Thank god I finally know what it is.