Power Outages

Fisherman

They'll be out for another couple days for many of them by the sounds of it. Nephew just got his power back an hour ago in Scarborough. Saw on a TV, while blasting through the Georgian Mall 2 hours ago, that they were trying to restore power to Sunnybrook Hospital as a priority in the Bayview Ave area.

The warnings were in the media last Wed. morn. I'm sure a good number of people are wishing they had done more to get ready. Most of the time the forecast that far out fails, but this one sure didn't.

You'll be hard pressed to find a generator, salt, candles, camping cooking and lighting gear, or fuel cans anywhere in the GTA left to buy.

I'm certain there will be a big push on just before our typical spring storm season to sell 'storm survival' items. You'll see Crappy tire and wallmart selling kits, and generators like mad. I'm sure there will be some good deals to be had. Same thing happened after 'the 3 day power outage'. (what was that 10 years ago?)

A lot of the outages near Port Hope are now saying that they should be restored at 8pm on Dec 26th.

Homes are one thing, they are relatively easy to winterize, if you can find plumbing antifreeze to buy.

It's the large commercial and industrial buildings that are going to cost a lot if their plumbing freezes. Heck if you were in the fire suppression system business, you'll be making good coin getting all those sprinkler systems back up in working order.

Be safe,

Entropy

Edited by Entropy

Just checked the Hydro One outage map, what a nightmare, the trees are loaded with ice, there is cold weather for the next few days so is it isn't going to melt off, and there are new small outages occurring almost as fast as some are being fixed.

My sister who lives near Millbrook has had power all this time but the outages keep getting closer to her all the time. There is one down the road from her now, and that might also include her. It did last spring during that last ice storm. What luck eh.

Entropy

All good here just outside millbrook, but have friends close by who are out. Its a lot worse south of here....newcastle, bowmanville and parts of oshawa were still shut down this morning.

Im good to go here. No worries. Going for a quick hunt in the morning, then getting the christmas festivities going :)

If anyone around my area needs anything, just ask.

S.

Well we finally got our power back this afternoon - Yay!

We did not too badly though and put the taps on a dribble downstairs and upstairs and used the Mr. Buddy for heat and candles for light. I did an entire crossword puzzle using a flashlight last night :)

Ralphie was the smart one and knew where to sit. He'd move when he got too hot.

11525100826_0a0d04c864_b.jpg

11525064674_4c82d4a9c7_b.jpg

Edited by Joey

Just dropped off my genny to my sister. She lives out in the country so no amenities such as running water. She is a camper though, so no pros surviving the roughing it part. the only concern was the freezer was showing signs of thaw, (shrimp rings are always the first to thaw out). Set up genny got power to her freezer, fridge, fan for propane "wood stove", a few lights in the house and all is good to go. Hydro told her no power til the 27th.

Yup, ice fishing and camping gear go a long way in a blackout that's for sure. Fired up the coleman for coffee and grilled cheese sandwiches :)

Ron, I can't believe the 27th, that's a long time without hydro. I noticed that two streets over, they still have no power.

i'm back ---- after 47 hours without power. (3am Sunday to 2am Tuesday)

'twas interesting.

Horizon was good to us...keeping us updated via email and even phone calls. great customer service.

I was just settling into another night of candles, scotch and wine with some music with the wife....no heating devices 'cept about 30 candles in our living room.

now the lights are on, she's cleaning the kitchen, and i'm on the internet.

almost kinda wished they gave us about four more hours....i mean at this point, lol.

hope all affected are almost through this mess.

Edited by Steve

A co-worker of mine lives in east Oshawa courtice area and thy have had no power since Saturday night and they also tried to buy salt and supplies like flashlights and propane heaters and went to several stores and they are all sold out of everything like that !!!! And forget about generators she said some guy wanted $1,000 for a used 5yr old one he was trying to sell it from the back of his truck in a shopping mall parking lot till people told him to f-off !!!!! Can you imagine the nerve ...... That's totally taking advantage of the bad situation !!!! And this morning here in bobcaygeon it's -23 It looks as tho most have power around here but ours has gone out a few times but came back on after 10mins !!!!! In 2011 we had a bad ice storm here in the Kawartha lakes area and we lost it for 3 days so they put in several new poles and new wires and stronger supports for a few miles up to the highway !!! And they cut a few big trees down so I know that's the only reason we still have power as before that we always would loose power several times a year due to storms in summer and storms in winter !!!! So I'm glad we have new stuff running through our little cottage community here on sturgeon lake !!! Hope everyone can stay warm specially the elderly that live on their own !!!! If you know of any please check on them !!!!

Did anyone else here about the 50 some year old man and his mother; that died in their home due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

I guess he had his generator running in the garage and the fumes came into the house.

The silent killer, makes you go to sleep too never wake up; very sad.

Portable generators are great; but you have to keep them outside while they're are running or have a proper ventilating system to get rid of the fumes.

Two lives gone from lack of better judgement.

Dan.

News says a Newcastle man and his mom were killed by carbon monoxide from running a generator in the garage last night.

Few more were sickened from BBQ's inside their apartments in T.O.

Gotta be careful out there folks.

Our friends in Caledon East had the pole on their property snap in half on Saturday. They have been down since then with a couple of small generators going. They have a large Diesel generator on its way today. They don't expect to have power restored until January 6th!

They even paid an Arborist company to come in last summer and clear the trees along their hydro lines. They have three poles coming in from the road, but the tall trees still came down on them.