Power Outages

Fisherman

We were extremely lucky this time. Other than flickering lites and many brownouts, we didn't lose at all. Hydro crews were working around the clock in the area, cutting trees and resetting breakers. I ended up lending my 4000 watt generator to a couple with young kids, about a mile from my place. They at least had heat, lites, and a good Christmas.

I suggest that, if you decide to buy an emerg generator, that you buy a good quality 1 such as a Honda, Wouldn't want a tire or Wally mart one not working when you really need it.

Honda generators are excellent but even they won't work worth a darn if you leave fuel sitting in them for a year or two before using them. If you are going to spend the money getting a generator, make sure you service it properly.

I have a CTC type one, it is noisy but works just fine (I can put up with a little noise if I need the power). I keep the tank drained when it isn't in use, I change the oil in it every year even if it hasn't been used and I keep the battery on a battery keeper so it is always charged up and ready if I do need it.

I've had this thing for about 5 years now and the only time it got any real use was when Beans lost power a couple of years ago and I took it over to his place for him.

Honda generators are excellent but even they won't work worth a darn if you leave fuel sitting in them for a year or two before using them. If you are going to spend the money getting a generator, make sure you service it properly.

I have a CTC type one, it is noisy but works just fine (I can put up with a little noise if I need the power). I keep the tank drained when it isn't in use, I change the oil in it every year even if it hasn't been used and I keep the battery on a battery keeper so it is always charged up and ready if I do need it.

I've had this thing for about 5 years now and the only time it got any real use was when Beans lost power a couple of years ago and I took it over to his place for him.

Good words for sure hopefully everyone after the emergency does drain the gas and run the carburetor dry a quick shot of fogging oil and the other issues you pointed out will have it ready for the next emergency.

Art