In quest of ice... and why solar farms don't work in Canada

irishfield

Beauty pics Wayne, sure looks cold. Flew for a bit trying to get certified in the 70's, needed a good carb de-icer in the old Piper Cherokee 140 way back when.

I'm in Haldimand windfarms and huge solar farms all around. It's the future like it or not. Nana told us of the fear they had in the early 20th century when they started putting up the Hydro and telephone lines in the country, they thought they were going tomfall on them. This was in the late 60's when the huge Hydro line towers were being built along the Red Hill creek area to the lake in east Hamilton. We all played ball along this tract of land since it was severed off. We were all going to get sick, cows in the country were going to give radio active milk, the rumors of them falling and crushing innocent families watching Ed Sullivan in the states were rampant.

They're here and here to stay.

My only question is it 10MW capacity or estimate output based on historic data?

The people certainly profiting are the designers, manufacturers, suppliers, constructors and real estate investors. I say real estate investors not farmers because out here 4 individuals that had the foresight to see this opportunity to rent out the land for solar and wind own a huge amount of acreage here. I say good for them. They could have been stuck with thousands of acres of clay.

Enjoying a cup of coffee on my cozy morning flight across land and sea. Cool stuff flight commander Irishfield.

It is some cooooooooooold out there this December.

Interesting stuff about the solar farms. Have 3/4 acre behind a thin treeline and in open field behind the house here, because it's pretty well out of sight I often wondered if it would be worth it to have 2 or 3 of things?

Thanks Wayne for sharing pictures of your flight. Very enjoyable especially from that altitude! Just wondering how comfortable it is in your aircraft when flying in such cold temperatures.

Thanks too to Steve for sharing some info on solar power. A couple of the outfitters I know on Lake Kipawa have switched to solar power as their main source of electricity and use their generators as backup now.

Just dress like you're going ice fishing and all is well Tomcat! lol.. Seriously, I swapped out the exhaust this spring and it appears I have a pretty good heater now and was actually flying bare handed and had my jacket unzipped. The last 18 winters I froze my arse off ...

Best not to have too good of a heater.. my old Cessna 182A's heater was so good that I'd take my jacket off and throw it in the back. Not a good place for it when the ground comes up to smite thee.

Your plane is about as warm as a convertible VW. lol When Joe and I rebuilt ours we removed and replaced the heater channels that had rusted out and collapsed it was the difference between driveable in the fall and freezing to death.

Art

Updraft carb Vance... = the night of having a blanket over the engine cowl and a 900W heater running below the engine. Generally needs about 2 hours minimum to heat soak the engine... but if I know I'm going out the next day I plug it in the night before and it makes me go no matter how cold. Once heated.. unplugging and not flying = condensation inside the motor which isn't good.

Once you're off flying.. I can drop in on the lake somewhere and fish for 5 or 6 hours with a blanket over the engine cowl and it will fire back up with no issues.

Posted Image

Very cool pics...

My dad is the foreman on the crew installing a solar field here in Cornwall... Big money being spent all over Ontario on these... Already a few in our area...

And...Solar panel still work with snow and ice... They're are transparent after all... Lol... That was by far the coolest looking pic...