MEC store

Fisherman

I took a quick run into Barrie tonight, go to the (MEC) Mountain Equipment Co-op outdoorsy place. I was in there once when they opened about 4-5 years ago, wasn't really impressed, looked mostly like a yuppy store where you pay extra if you can get your nose in the clouds. Well I spied a nice coffee travel mug, good quality, price not overly outrageous. Go to the counter to pay, the lady asks for my membership, ah sorry don't quite understand. Well you have to have a $5.00 membership here. So you want me to spend $5.00 just so I can buy something here for $25. I said politely, you can keep you coffee mug, I'll donate the $5 to the local animal shelter. Rant over. BTW, the local animal shelter will get 20 times that in a donation at Xmas for the poor critters.

It's a co-op. That 5 bucks gives you a lifetime membership which is a small price to pay as far as I'm concerned.

Personally it's one of my favorite stores, they have outdoor gear that no other store carries.

Best part is their return policy. Much like Cabelas in the States you can return anything at any time no questions asked. You don't need a receipt either, they just look up your purchase using your membership number. And I'm talking returning stuff after years of hard use.

Within the last year alone I returned an 8 year old Thermarest mattress that was starting to leak in the seams and they gave me store credit to buy a new one.

Same thing with a 3 year old MSR water filter that broke after heavy use last spring. I walked out of the store with a brand new one.

It's pretty obvious I love MEC. Great store, great products and amazing customer service. Easily the best 5 bucks I've ever spent.

it is pretty "yuppie", the store in Burlington has a lot of people buying expensive stuff that probably do way more talking than actually doing

there is some well made stuff at fair prices though IMHO, for example, check out what Can Tire has to offer for bags (back packs and duffle) and sleeping bags versus MEC

I've been in there countless times and yes I agree it's a yuppie store, but if that means I like quality, don't mind paying for it, and really like there return/exchange policy - then well I guess I'm a yuppie..... And it's only $5!!!!

People pay $50-$100 a year for Costco memberships and don't bat an eye, yet every time I go in there I see people leaving with $300+ carts filled with stuff that I bet half of it goes to waste..... I love Costco like the next guy, but I surly don't do all my household shopping there, but I like some of the products they carry, and have an excellent return/exchange policy.....

So it's all what you seem to value the most I guess...

I bought a membership which is (like already stated) $5 and good for life.

What i really like about this store is (like said ) they have some really decent camping packs and gear. There own brand is usually good stuff and cheaper then the name brand.

What I LOVE about this store...Is that it is usually pretty busy, hence causing a line-up to the till. Every time I've been there (maybe 5) some person waits their time in line, gets to the till finally.. gets asked for their membership, finds out it costs $5 and FREAKS OUT at the worker, slamming there stuff on the counter and rage their way out of the store!! Once gone, all of us left in line, that parted with our $5 long ago laugh our behinds off along with the clerk.

I look at my one time $5 as admission to the comedy show I'm about to witness.

For the record..I'm no YUPPIE, I'm bordering Country REDNECK

It's well worth the $5 for sure.

Their MEC and house brand bicycle tools and parts work great and are one of the lowest price anywhere.

Their running and cycle brand clothing is a great price, and lasts forever.

Just the savings you get buying the MEC brand gear alone is worth the $5 on almost every purchase ive made this year. Let alone a once in a lifetime payment.

I became a member a long time ago, but lately I stay away....my issue is with their donations to organizations with an anti hunting agenda, if you email mec they will give the corporately safe reply, "mec provides outdoor gear and takes no stance on hunting"

but when you look at their donations, their stance is a little more obvious

I was rubbed the wrong way when I walked in their store with a camo hat and shirt and was blatantly refused service by their tree hugging yuppie staff

I became a member a long time ago, but lately I stay away....my issue is with their donations to organizations with an anti hunting agenda, if you email mec they will give the corporately safe reply, "mec provides outdoor gear and takes no stance on hunting"

I was rubbed the wrong way when I walked in their store with a camo hat and shirt and was blatantly refused service by their tree hugging yuppie staff

X2!!! I have a gift card from there, and I wont even use that!

S.

For a place like MEC you have to know what works and what doesn't.

I rent canoes from there to go fishing as its the only place I know of that does so. I like the fact that if you have rented a canoe within 6 months, it comes off the price if you decide to buy one (yes its cumulative)

They have a good selection of CLIF bars, Gels and outdoor energy snacks, buy 12 and you get 10% off.

Work keeps giving me gift cards there so I've had a chance to explore. I like the running program they have set up here too. $5 for a race is a pretty sweet deal as well.

Another fan of MEC here too, I always thought they were a great store with excellent quality gear and never gave the $5 membership thingy a 2nd thought.

I used to do ALOT of winter biking and bought all my fleece and GoreTex riding gear from them and I've still got some it years after I gave up riding and it's still as good as the day I purchased it even though it often took a beating. Good quality gear that wasn't carried by most other stores.

I've also got a down winter parka that I purchased there that is by far the best I've ever owned. Darned thing doesn't weigh much more than a T-shirt but I can wear it on the coldest days with practically nothing underneath it.

I'm a long ways from any MEC stores now but if there were any close by I'd certainly be shopping there again.

Yup, great place to buy quality gear.

Sojourn in Barrie is horrible for that.

Lew, you gotta get on their email list as they have free shipping deals every now and then. Buy online and wait for postie to deliver !

Yeah, I hear ya, and if I ever need any of their gear I'll be doing that for sure. My cold winter biking trips are behind me now though, and I much prefer a cabin to a tent these days, but ya never know what'll come next :lol:

Love MEC... They've got some quality stuff there, but like many stores they may have things that seem/are overpriced.

Their in-house brand is generally quite good. I bought my fiancee a Goretex paclite jacket this year that was on clearance for $250. Excellent worksmanship.

I'd highly recommend their merino wool baselayer stuff. It's nice and thin for the early and late camping seasons when the chill sets in.

I've got a membership there as well and I agree with everyone on the stuff they sell; but I also kind of agree with Fisherman.

I know it's only 5 bucks but when you don't know anything about having to be a member, it kind of takes you back. Is this a 5 dollar scam and that's what I asked the clerk when she told me that I had to join before I could buy anything.

Mind you I didn't look for any notices stating that while I was in the store; but if there were any they weren't place in a very conspicuous place.

Dan.

I had just dug out a big greener while driving by MEC one day and so I flicked it out the window onto the sidewalk infront of their store. From my rearview mirrow I watched three patrons and a worker come rushing out and divide my boogie into four equal parts.

The first skinny rake simply ate it for she probably mistook it as a tiny piece of spinach.

The teenage store worker took his piece inside and put it in a recyclable paper bag labelled GreenPiece, then stuck a $5.00 label on it with all proceeds to... duh!!!! GreenPeace!!!

The third guy closely examined his nugget under a pocket microscope and must have noted a tiny speck of blood indicating it was of human origin. After some DNA testing and follow-up with InterPol I received a call with notice to appear in court on charges of littering.

And that last little ChiaPet of a woman; before I could even turn the corner, she watered, nurtured and made my greener into a beautiful crop garden complete with trees that grow tofu burgers.

MEC is a magical place I thought, and I'd spend the $5 to belong for sure.

Edited by Moosebunk

The $5 fee is probably required to legally function as a coop vs a retailer. I doubt they see it as revenue.

Great store. Love the place. It isn't cheap but they typically have really good stuff.

Mike Borger - - you return stuff after 8 yrs of use?? :-)

TIL MIke is a cheap skin flint. Then I realized how else do you think he affords all those awesome trips?

By the way member of MEC since high school and thats a LONG time ago. Before Adventure Guide opened up here in town it was the best place to get hardcore outdoor stuff

Edited by Musky or Specks