poison ivy

Sinker

How does it keep spreading? It started on my right arm, and now its popping up on my left...only in places I had a scrape or scratch.

You have cross contanimated yourself by touching diffewrent spots, and for godsakes don't scratch your jewlery bag or johnson.

Make sure you wash all contaminated clothing really well . The oil off the leaves of the plant can stay on your clothes for a long time if you don't wash that crap off.

I actually caught it in the middle of winter from wearing a jacket that was contaminated with the oil . I get the blisters by just looking at the stuff :angry: It is a brutal thing

to get especially on your feet so be careful . Like others have said as well wash the area and keep it dry . When I use to get it really bad I use to wash the infected area

with bleach (old timers remedy) , stung like crazy but it was better than the itch and it seemed to dry it out .

As has been said, get it once and you will be getting it from this point forward.

Aveno bath works well and for the love of all thing good, keep yer hands off yer other body parts until you are symptom free... you are just spreading the crap all over yourself.

My brother only has to be in the same county as poison oak and he gets it... that, from many camping trips to the Pinery where I am sure the MNR test plants the stuff!

Sinker, you have managed to avoid the stuff for many years, that time is now passed.

HH

I do not have medical research on this so use at your own risk. I used to get it real bad but the last couple times it was a little here little there

I scratched it with a beer cap and poured rubbing alcohol on it. It felt awesome, it died, and did not itch again

Warning!!! I did this on my feet and legs which are pretty scarred and scratched anyways and i dont know if this is bad or not but if i get it again this is what ill do. Good luck

I get it several times a year. It's now to the point where it doesn't really bother me anymore as I have it most of the summer months. When it's a little annoying, I'll use rubbing alcohol. Once it dries, I'll put on some calamine lotion. If it gets bad, I'll buy some over the counter cortisone cream. If it's out of control, I go to my doc and he'll prescribe cortisone pills which makes everything go away.

You mean giant hogweed, right? I haven't seen that stuff yet, but know all about it.

S.

That's the stuff. Had an unfortunate run in with the plant a coupla years ago... The wound I received was severe to say the least... I had to replace my gauze every day for at least 2 weeks.

Serves me right for hucking it in the bushes!

Herbal or Eastern treatments... Dunno.

Western... working with an incredibly intelligent ER Physician right now... worst case P.I. treatments often do well with tapered doses of oral Prednisone, Calamine lotion, and/or for unblistered sites, Cortisone based creams.

Now that you've got it once, (become sensitive, or more sensitive to it) you will continue to get it.

Poison Ivy reaction occurs within about the first hour of contact with the leaf. You have about that time to best wash it off with warm soapy water... or cold. If you touch an area of contact (ie. clothes) and touch somewhere else, (ie, sweaty forehead, weiner, whatever) you are likely to get it there. If you develop blisters, the fluid within (weeping out) can spread to more sites from that contact. At the blistered stage there is a low incidence of communicability, higher incidence of you spreading to more areas on yourself.

If clothes worn, or pet remains unwashed, it could cause later reactions in another area. Smaller incidence of reoccurrence or new sites if say, leaf to clothes to car seat to skin were to happen, but that's slim Also, with a very small percentage of people poison ivy can "possibly" spread internally, and with those people only an internally administered medication will help.

I never get poison ivy bad, but I get it often.

We've got lots of it in the woods behind my place and the pooch runs through it all the time, then I play with him and end up with it. Usually just on my hands and it's very easily looked after with Calamine.

As a kid I was hyper sensitive to poison ivy. I could get it off the hounds, direct contact of course, even from the smoke of burning a field. Lost school time cause it was in my nose, eyes , face after the smoke episode. Parents and I were desparate and a doctor in Welland gave me a series of shots, 4, I think a week or so apart. Since that I may have had a couple of quarter sized patches that might have been poison ivy. For me it was a cure. That would have been in the mids 60's however :wallbash: Google search of poison ivy vaccine shows it has been withdrawn years ago as ineffective only temporay effect, they never asked me :dunno:

The next time you, or someone you know, can get to the states, buy some Teknu. It washes off the oil (uroshiol), which is super hard to wash off with anything else. Uroshiol stays active for months after it gets on something (skin, sleeping bag, clothing, dog), and can keep causing a reaction each time you touch it. Dogs are great for causing a reaction for months after you haven't been anywhere near PI. I am one of those folks that has a really bad reaction to PI. Since I started using Teknu (many parks departments in the states require it's use by employees) I have never had it bother me for more than a day.

The jewelweed is definitly working. I did one arm with it earlier today, and its already noticeable.

That said, I'm covered in the stuff now. Spots on my legs, swollen arms...friggen sucks!

Might have to get something prescription now. What a PITA!!

S.

I just had it one week ago.

I got it from camping, my daughter, my wife and me.

I did tried: calamine, vinegar.

These remedy works but to get rid of it fast:

1) wash all your clothes, bed lengerie

2) I did wash my body with baking soda and dishwasher detergent, make a cream of both and cover you body and let it dissolve the Uroshiol (you need a really strong soap to wash off the Uroshiol) - I did not know about Teknu

3) The oil can be taken under fingernails and spread on different body part, it happen to me, I start to scratch a mosquito bite and I spread it.

4) You have to stop scratch it.

The good thing is that once go away no sign are left on the skin

• 7 months later...

The next time you, or someone you know, can get to the states, buy some Teknu. It washes off the oil (uroshiol), which is super hard to wash off with anything else. Uroshiol stays active for months after it gets on something (skin, sleeping bag, clothing, dog), and can keep causing a reaction each time you touch it. Dogs are great for causing a reaction for months after you haven't been anywhere near PI. I am one of those folks that has a really bad reaction to PI. Since I started using Teknu (many parks departments in the states require it's use by employees) I have never had it bother me for more than a day.

Just started to see more endorsements of this product lately. Remembered this thread...

It can probably be found cheaper than MEC but, posted this to prove its availability locally. Careful of spelling. Tecnu

http://www.mec.ca/product/5023-745/oak-n-ivy-tecnu-outdoor-skin-cleanser-355ml/

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by farsider