poison ivy

Sinker

I've worked in and around poison ivy for the last 5 years, and never got it. This week I've been a little run down with a cold, and hunting season on the go, and somehow got it. Its itchy LOL.....and spreading.

Anyone know a good home remedy....that actually works? I'm pretty stubborn, and have the mentality that medicine just weakens our immune systems, so I don't take anything unless its really bad, but this is driving me nuts! Something natural would be great!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

S.

I've never had it either, and I've worked in the thickest PI I've ever seen for years. I'm talking plants up to my armpits, dragging my tools, ropes, extension cords thru it...I thought I was immune too. So much for that theory!!

S.

Hey sinker since you helped me out in my hunting thread i suppose i can return the favour lol. First off cold water asap, and more then once if its an area you can run under the tap. An antihistamine will help the itch, but that medication that may make you drowsy or anxious. I live in the bush and have poison ivy basically all summer lol. I always shower cold after im in the bush. After that it rarely bothers me. If it does( usually in an odd spot like between my toes) one coating of cortisone cream does the trick. If your worried about a compromised immune system, pick up some undenatured whey protein isolate from walmart or a health food store, works wonders. As does 1,3 1,d beta glucan. Cheap too

Yup calomine lotion !!!! Takes the itch away and dries it

Up !!!! I get poison ivy every summer had it already this year !!!! And I take Benedryl for a few days and it' helps a lot !!!! And for a home remedy I heard rub cold vinegar over it ?? It soothes the burning and helps dry it up I guess ? Heard that from military at CFB petawawa !!!

Edited by fishindevil

I used to get absolutely punished by the stuff.

The best treatment I found is cortisone cream. You can use over-the-counter, but the prescription stuff is stronger. The best home remedy is an oatmeal bath. Not sure why, but it really soothes the skin. You can pick up Aveeno oatmeal bath at any major drug store, which is probably better than filling our bathtub with oatmeal.

Also, keep it cool (heat and sweat makes it worse) and out of sunlight if possible.

I've been doing the cold water and calomine lotion thing since it started. I have friends who have been hospitalized for days by this stuff, so I hope I can get it gone asap!!

I've heard jewelweed is a great natural plant to get rid of it. I'm going to find some tomorrow and try it out. Hope its not all knocked down from frost already!

I think I got it this time from the roots. Maybe its more potent? I dunno....I was putting in posts, and the last hole of the day had a big rock in the way, so I was down on my belly, reaching down the hole trying to remove it. It first showed up on the underside of my arm, near my armpit, and has since gone down my arm in spots, and down my side. My other arm has a few spots as well. Its mostly just annoying, but its getting worse for sure!

S.

I never had the itch but my friends get into the stuff every year. Calamine lotion for the most part with sometimes a steroid. I might actually have some of those steroids left from my chemo that I can hook you up with.LOL

There was at least 2 times I ended up bathing in your local streams when I tumbled into several large patches of the stuff while hiking. Nothing wakes you up faster than a cold bath (57 degrees F too).LOL

I have the same story. Used to fish some headwater stream for browns and used to walk through the stuff with no problem. Then, I go camping one year at the Pinery and wammo poison ivy. After that camping trip, every time I would go back to the stream - Bam, poison ivy. I haven't been back at that stream for decades now - there were some real nice fish up there,..., oh well.

Lots and lots of calamine lotion is what I used - perhaps a antihistamine might also help.

Good luck.

WR

Sinker --response to poison ivy doesn't mean your immune system is weak. Just means you've had it on your skin enough that your immune system now recognizes it as an issue. The more frequently you're exposed, the worse the reaction will be.

So, what your saying is now that I've got it, I will get it more frequently? I'm in the stuff daily....and I'm talking right in it....up to my knees. I can't believe I got it....such a bummer!!

Mike, watch for it around here. I think its one of the worste areas of ontario for it. I've never seen it as thick anywhere else as it is around here. The stuff is everywhere!

S.

The problem is everyone you talk to has a different remedy. My bosses wife gets it a lot, and she swears a cloth soaked in boiling water works for her. Others say cold water only. I had a HOT shower today, and I tell ya, it felt GREAT!! Hopefully it doesn't make it worse!

I'm gonna try the jewelweed first. I got that tip from an old forester who swore up and down its the best thing...if it keeps getting worse, I'll have to get something prescription. My Dr will be happy to see me, I haven't been to see her for years LOL

S.

Also, if you notice you've been exposed to it you can wash it off with rubbing alcohol (as Irish said). Soap works as well, btu can also just spread it around a bunch if you don't completely wash it off.

I had it pretty bad this summer, I did some research, from what I read, I don't think you can spread it from scratching or from the puss on your skin, it's only the oil from the plant that causes the trouble, my doctor said that too

after 4 or 5 days, it wasn't that uncomfortable

See, another difference I've heard.

The guy who told me about the jewelweed said its in your bloodstream, and can't be passed on to others once you have it. I have notice any little scratch or scrape I had on my arms are now the worste spots. Seems to make sense.

I've always been careful when I'm working in it, but not overly careful.....if that makes sense. I wear pants, but no longsleeves, and no gloves, and I know my boots and pants are ALWAYS covered in the oil. I bet my chainsaw chaps are just soaked in PI oil.

S.

I had it pretty bad this summer, I did some research, from what I read, I don't think you can spread it from scratching or from the puss on your skin, it's only the oil from the plant that causes the trouble, my doctor said that too

after 4 or 5 days, it wasn't that uncomfortable

I mean spread it around when you first get the oil on you...you have a little time to wash it off before your skin reacts. Rubbing alcohol is the best but soap works as well. Just be sure you get it all off and aren't just spreading it around.

I can spot poison ivy travelling 120kmhr in on the highway! I now know all its different shapes and sizes, colours, and plant associations. Peterborough is one of the worst areas it seems, but in general it's free standing and short. More south it is much taller and vines a lot.

Away the best treatment is oral prednisone and a topical cortisone. You may need to tell the doc that you would like prednisone. I have a repeat prescription. Last time I got it was about this time last year. Don't cover it. Keep it dry. Sunlight soap is good for drying it out in the shower. A hair dryer helps to dry the affected areas out really well and then hit it with the cortisone cream. You need to taper off the prednisone.

Poison ivy doesn't grow well on the Shield although there are exceptions e.g., east side of Algonquin Park. I even found it in Edmonton. Peterborough is bad for it. For working in the yard I have to cover up and be pretty aware of where I am. I wash my boots with grease cutter and wash hands and ankles if needed with the orange automotive soap.

I hate the plant and use liberal amounts of Roundup. Fortunately I have no other allergies e.g., grass, ragweed! Best of luck.

See, another difference I've heard.

The guy who told me about the jewelweed said its in your bloodstream, and can't be passed on to others once you have it. I have notice any little scratch or scrape I had on my arms are now the worste spots. Seems to make sense.

I've always been careful when I'm working in it, but not overly careful.....if that makes sense. I wear pants, but no longsleeves, and no gloves, and I know my boots and pants are ALWAYS covered in the oil. I bet my chainsaw chaps are just soaked in PI oil.

You cannot pass it on to others - you are not poison ivy. If you scratch it and it gets infected then you have a more serious issue. The hair dyer is 10x more enjoyable than the hot shower. But, without the cortisone cream you are just aggravating it like rubbing your eyes when they itch. BTW - clean all your clothes seriously well or even throw them out. I've got it in Feb because boots had the oils still.

I've been told sunlight soap works good, gonna get some tomorrow.

I live 10 mins from ptbo. Its everywhere, and I'm outdoors in it all the time, most of my life. Never had it. Seems odd to get it now.....I'd love to know what I did to deserve it LOL.

No prednisone for this guy unless I have to be hospitalized. I wouldn't take that garbage unless it was a last resort!! I don't even take aspirin for a head ache...oh ya.......I don't get headaches. Hmmmmm

S.