poison ivy

Sinker

That's the stuff. Had an unfortunate run in with the plant a coupla years ago... The wound I received was severe to say the least... I had to replace my gauze every day for at least 2 weeks.

Serves me right for hucking it in the bushes!

I see this stuff everyday while I'm working on the rivers in Toronto. Grows incredible fast and taking over the river banks.

I see this stuff everyday while I'm working on the rivers in Toronto. Grows incredible fast and taking over the river banks.

and it's spreading! You can hear the hollow stems crack when you walk through the stuff..

Edited by Highdrifter

I live with poison ivy rashes lol. Dont bother me anymore. Get outta the bush, straight into a Luke warm or cold shower. Clothes go in wash immediately. Makes a huge difference. I only get tiny lil rashes that dont really bother me. And nothing will clean up poison I've faster than a corticosteroid cream. Dont use them often though, they'll wreak havoc later on with your joints

I live with poison ivy rashes lol. Dont bother me anymore. Get outta the bush, straight into a Luke warm or cold shower. Clothes go in wash immediately. Makes a huge difference. I only get tiny lil rashes that dont really bother me. And nothing will clean up poison I've faster than a corticosteroid cream. Dont use them often though, they'll wreak havoc later on with your joints

As a young fellow never had it.Everone else did,even walked barefoot through it all.I can honestly say I never had the rash.One thing going for me lol.

I have heard some people are immune. :thumbsup_anim: .

Edited by davey buoy

As a young fellow never had it.Everone else did,even walked barefoot through it all.I can honestly say I never had the rash.One thing going for me lol.

I have heard some people are ammune. :thumbsup_anim: .

yeah actually lots of people are immune. Our chief even ate some to prove he was immune. Which is as crazy as it is dumb. Because sometimes immunity fades or vise versa. Eating poison ivy is a death sentence. Edited by manitoubass2

I have worked in poison ive for a lot of years and never had it until last year. This post was the first time I got it, and it nailed me bad. I'm pretty careful in the stuff, but not anal about being around it at all. I'm sure my boots, pants, tools etc are all covered in it. The time I got it, I was putting in fence posts, and had to reach down the hole to get a rock out. The poison ivy roots got me under my arm where the skin is more sensitive I guess. I was also a bit sick at the time, so maybe my immune was down as well?? I dunno. We'll see if I get it again, because its growing like mad here again now. I have poison ivy everywhere I go around here, and in some places its up to my waist!!

S.

It's actually the opposite. If you don't react to it, it's because you have no immune reaction. |Those who react are having an immune reaction. Sinker, you'll now react to it in the future....your body has developed an immune response.

That could fade with time, but it's unlikely to go away.

It's actually the opposite. If you don't react to it, it's because you have no immune reaction. |Those who react are having an immune reaction. Sinker, you'll now react to it in the future....your body has developed an immune response.

That could fade with time, but it's unlikely to go away.

i disagree. Once your immune system responds to it, and if its frequent, the severity will lessen or disappear. Histamine will be down regulated over time/exposure as well. Classic agonist antogonist behaviour. A healthy immune system will regulate cellular function in this manner

i disagree. Once your immune system responds to it, and if its frequent, the severity will lessen or disappear. Histamine will be down regulated over time/exposure as well. Classic agonist antogonist behaviour. A healthy immune system will regulate cellular function in this manner

I will bet you all of your fishing gear that you're wrong. :-)

The reaction IS an immune reaction. You actually get more sensitive the more frequently you're exposed.

I will bet you all of your fishing gear that you're wrong. :-)

The reaction IS an immune reaction. You actually get more sensitive the more frequently you're exposed.

lol i just reread your post. On a basic level that you are speaking. You are absolutely correct. I took some of that outta context. But yeah, my tackle is still my tackle

Thank heavens for this thread, I have worked outdoors most of my life, surrounded by poison ivy in a lot of cases. A week and a half ago I was doing some work outside fencing in our vegetable garden ( damn rabbits) I was in shorts and flip flops, I was on my hands an knees in between the cedars on the west end of our property, and Lynds was putting washers on the screws and passing them into the brush to me, so I could screw them into the posts holding the fencing....

Her feet are covered in blisters for the past several days...

And now only today I have began to breakout.... Over a week later. I have never had a problem before and have been in this stuff all my life..

I'm going to have to look into jewel weed... As of tonight we are rubbing down with vinegar and calamine.

Does jewelweed really work? I will look into its description online hoping to locate it locally.

G

Yes, it helps for sure, but I had to get some benedryl to really get rif of it.

I feel your pain! If it gets worse, see a doctor. Cover any affected areas in bed, or change your sheets nightly.

Good luck!

S.