woodenboater

I'm guessing that a good number of members here have chainsaws so I'm hoping to mine everyone's experiences as I look for a saw.

Been using neighbour's saw but no more access to it (they moved). Looking for a chainsaw < $400 that will be used around my property to process some firewood (mostly soft) and clear the bush a bit. Maybe take down the odd tree that's max 8-10" DBH. A saw that could take 14-18" bars would be ideal.

Choices seem to be Husqvarna, Stihl, Echo and Jonsered. Husky and Stihls seem to be the overwhelming favs but I've heard good things about Echos and J-Reds.

Who should get my hard earned bucks ?

thanks in advance

wb

J-red is what my chainsaw mechanic recommends.. and he owns husky's and Stihls! However, for $400, and the light duty you plan an doing, I'd get a cheaper Echo and use the extra $$ to buy accessories.

I got a Husky 70cc...runs good, built in Sweden, but I think I f'd up the bar or chain doing things I shouldn't do with a chainsaw..namely, getting them wedged as a tree is falling

Go with aplumma's advice. Parts availability is important. I have a husquvarna - great saw. It's a model 353 - 5 years old - no issues. It's only a 16" bar but I don't plan to cut huge trees - getting too old to haul 100 lb pieces. I like it also because it's lightweight easy to handle. Cuts very fast due to high RPMs - can't remember the RPMs. I owned a Craftsman 20" bar for 25 years - too heavy. Do your self a favour at the time of purchase. Make sure you buy the safety equipment as well, such as the loggers chaps, hard hat with face screen & ear muffs, loggers gloves, & the jacket to protect yourself.

Thanks all.

I have 11 acres so will need to maintain that as well lest it goes crazy and becomes too much work. Actually leaning towards Echo and Jonsereds for the work I'll be doing. Don't need pro saws and have heard good for both of these two. Much will depend on the local dealer/service network in the GTA.

Have the bucket and mask, just need the chaps and gloves. Undecided about regular steel toes (which I have) or boots with instep protection as well. Will also probably take a safety course this fall or next spring.

Chris, never heard about Poulan buying Husky. All I hear is that the plain Jane Poulan's aren't a good buy but the Pro's are very underrated and good value.

Edited by woodenboater

About 3 years ago I bought a medium small Poulan from one of our suppliers.

It runs OK, but it's not a very good saw. Small fuel tank, isolation springs bent, fuel cap hard to turn plus a few other nags.
We have a small Echo that has been around for years that is twice the saw. Been problem free, small and lightweight, starts easy.
No problem recommending an Echo product of any kind.

I'm guessing that a good number of members here have chainsaws so I'm hoping to mine everyone's experiences as I look for a saw.

Been using neighbour's saw but no more access to it (they moved). Looking for a chainsaw < $400 that will be used around my property to process some firewood (mostly soft) and clear the bush a bit. Maybe take down the odd tree that's max 8-10" DBH. A saw that could take 14-18" bars would be ideal.

Choices seem to be Husqvarna, Stihl, Echo and Jonsered. Husky and Stihls seem to be the overwhelming favs but I've heard good things about Echos and J-Reds.

Who should get my hard earned bucks ?

thanks in advance

wb

I'm in the same boat, been looking for a quality chainsaw.

I don't know if this is true, so for what it's worth, I heard Poulan bought Husky and things aren't the same, except the prices

I guess thats why they sell them at crappy tire now.

Seems that stihl is the way to go.

I'm not sure about price, but the best all around saw IMO is a stihl 260. It will outlive you, and cut anything you throw at it. I run saws almost daily. I always grab the 260 (mine is actually an 026...a little older). The 361 is my back up, and felling saw. It will drop some big trees if you know what your doing.

I've ran all brands thru the years, had a couple of the older husky's, but as was said above, quality has really gone down hill on the newer models. If you can find an older used one, they are a great saw.

Don't buy into the easy start Bull, or the quick tensioner units......total garbage. Ok for putting around the house cutting branches, but that's about it. Get one that's old style where you loosen the two nuts on the bar, and turn the screw to tighten the chain. Bulletproof!

Ask any forester what saw they like and I bet 3/4 say the stihl 260.....the rest will be all the other brands.

Can't beat a stihl as far as I'm concerned. They're a great investment, and have proven themselves over and over again.

S.

easy start is just a simple decompression button, can't see a problem with that. My 83 big red and 92 fourtrax have a decompression option and I've never heard anyone mention it as a source of any problems. (Completely different engine types, but same idea)

Edited by Rod Caster

The even number Husky and Stihl saws used to be for real work and the odd number were more for yuppy types.Husky had a major change a few years ago and home depot carries the stuff so you know its gone down hill.I would go with a Stihl or an echo if the price is right.If you can get an older used Husky,get the even numbered one.

Joe

I've got a Bi-Way brand Poulin 16" bar and have had zero issues with it. It comes with me up Nord in the woods and hasn't let me down the times I've used it. If a Sthil was the same price I'd probably gotten that, but for the price and the amount I use it which is enough times a summer clearing downed trees on trails and collecting fire wood it's been great. It's got the easy chain tensioner thingie and hasn't cause an issue. I don't know however whats better the easy tension or the bolt and tool tension. Bottom line it's been great for me and would recomende it if your on a budget. My 2 cents.

The Stihls are good saws - however particularly loath the sliding plastic switch between choke-run-off. I can't count how many times a work gloved thumb has inadvertantly slipped on the grip and shut the saw down mid cut. Poor design. The couple I have have also had problems with rubber fuel lines rotting and splitting.

It all boils down to what you plan on using it for. A cheaper saw is fine for most things around a small property.

If you plan on cutting firewood, and felling trees, invest in a decent machine that will last.

S.

X2.

If your gonna use it often...don't cheap out. I got a new Poulan 3 years ago for some light duty stuff. Happy with it so far but I gotta stress that I have only ran 3 tanks of gas through it...so it doesn't get much use and tackles nothing tough. If I was going to be using it regular I would have never bought it. I would have spent double and got a Stihl. I know several people who run them and they are all happy.

I'm not sure about price, but the best all around saw IMO is a stihl 260. It will outlive you, and cut anything you throw at it. I run saws almost daily. I always grab the 260 (mine is actually an 026...a little older). The 361 is my back up, and felling saw. It will drop some big trees if you know what your doing.

I've ran all brands thru the years, had a couple of the older husky's, but as was said above, quality has really gone down hill on the newer models. If you can find an older used one, they are a great saw.

Don't buy into the easy start Bull, or the quick tensioner units......total garbage. Ok for putting around the house cutting branches, but that's about it. Get one that's old style where you loosen the two nuts on the bar, and turn the screw to tighten the chain. Bulletproof!

Ask any forester what saw they like and I bet 3/4 say the stihl 260.....the rest will be all the other brands.

Can't beat a stihl as far as I'm concerned. They're a great investment, and have proven themselves over and over again.

S.

X 2 . I have been running STIHL saws for about 16 years now. MS 361 is a great all around saw but might be a little big for what you need it for. 260 is a perfect size and can still hanldle larger dia. trees if you know what you are doing. A little more than you want to spend but it will last a lifetime.

STIHL is a bit more user freindly. easy to take apart, clean and service. Parts are readily available

You can get a new Stihl for around $350.00 for what you want the chainsaw for. I bought one this summer and what a difference to the Jonsered I had. Especially with the easy start option is a dream to start. Especially if you have any shoulder issues. And they had a special that if you bought a pack of 6 oil bottles for it you got an extra 2-3 years warranty extension.

Edited by wallyboss

X 2 . I have been running STIHL saws for about 16 years now. MS 361 is a great all around saw but might be a little big for what you need it for. 260 is a perfect size and can still hanldle larger dia. trees if you know what you are doing. A little more than you want to spend but it will last a lifetime.

STIHL is a bit more user freindly. easy to take apart, clean and service. Parts are readily available

x3....i bought a 260 in the advice of an arborist friend, and it has been an excellent machine....no isses at all, lots of power, but still light enough to work with all day

So my Mac 3818 doesn't count lol.Had it for 15 years and works great for my yearly tree branches/trees I have to cut up.Hard to believe it's a constant battle year after year in the city.Need to hire someone to cut some long limbs high up.Any thoughts,any private guys?.Good luck in your purchase.A lot of good advice given.