woodenboater

I bought a Ryobi chainsaw at Princess Auto couple of years ago. It has a 20 inch blade and 46cc gas engine.

I haven't used it much, but when I do, it starts and runs great. Lots of power.

Just checked and they still sell it. It's only $169.99.

8420788.jpg

It is funny how everyone has a "great chainsaw" till they have a chance to run another "great chainsaw" and it losses. lol. Good luck on your search but if you can, run a few different saws before you buy.

Art

I have a poulan, and have had it now for about 6 years and I use it every year when I go hunting to cut downed trees and clear lanes etc... I haven't ever had a problem with it. Its pretty light and as long as you have a sharp chain it cuts. My cousin has a Stihl and its a far better machine but I haven't seen anything his could cut through that mind couldn't. Just depends how much you want to spend. If you got the coin Stihl and you can't go wrong. the anti vibe is awesome. Far better than any Husq or Echo I have used. Mind you the echo's and Husq are better than poulan, but really, mine I prime it 5 squirts, pull the choke out all the way give it three yanks push the choke in half way and it starts every time. Even after sitting for a year waiting for hunting season.

Sure, any chainsaw will clear trails or brush, but when your felling. Trees, bucking them, and sawing cord after cord of hardwood, those lower end saws will let you down.

If your just going to use it occasionally for light duty, but a cheapie. If you plan to use it a lot, get one that will last, or you will just pay less twice, rather than more once. You do get what you pay for.

S.

We have 3 saws 2 husq 1 stihl all have a specific job. One husq 268 has a 20" bar and a professional chain (no anti kickbath teeth full on cutting) it flat eats wood as fast as you can feed it. The saw is heavy but with the torque and high RPM's it processes large wood easily. The stihl 260 has the same chain and bar and while it runs as well it has 20% less torque (less CC motor also) but is lighter and is easier to fell trees with. The last husq is a 55 with 14" bar which is light and high RPM's and will limb out trees all day without being to heavy. None of them are the perfect saw...all of them will cut down a tree... each one has it's shining point's. The less you spend on a saw the less saw you will get. I have seen saws that will not pull thru wood with a good sharp chain because it has little torque. Once it dulls down the RPM's pick up and it is not ripping chunks out of the tree but making rough sawdust. It sounds impressive and the job gets done and you are happy because it has cut the wood. One day you will see a high end torque ladened motor pulling huge chips and flying thru the logs and you will see the difference. Spend as much as you can on quality and take good care of it and it will last a very long time.

Art

Well time for an update.

Ended up getting a Husky 435 with 18". Came down to this or the Stihl 235/250. Both had great features but a few details (access to sparky and air filter, side tensioner etc) on the Husqvarna tipped the scale. But honestly, any of the choices mentioned would have worked so it was kinda tough deciding.

Picking it up today after it's tuned up by the shop. Will be getting a bar that can take a nose guard for brushy/tight spaces. Grab some chaps, take a safety course and good to go.

thanks for all the advice, it helped immensely !

WB

Edited by woodenboater

Yaa did fine keeping the same size bar on it will make chain purchases easier. We run 20" bars and have 12 chains at various ages it makes it easy to run thru 11 chains and then sit down and sharpen them at once on a CS sharpener. Good choice and use quality oil in the saw and special Chainbar oil to keep them happy for a long time.

Art