LCD,LED,OR PLASMA nf

davey buoy

Looks like my 42" plasma LG is on it's way out.A lot of dots and getting to the point that I think it's time.Had it for 8 years,on about 12 hours a day so I believe it is done.I do remember paying $1800.00,and that was a heck of a deal,how things have changed .It looks like most tv's of this size now are in the $4-$500 range.If you guys were to buy one now,what would you think would be the best picture and value in your opinion?.Any one who has bought one recently,I would be interested in your feed back. Thanks Dave.

On a side note,are the big box stores the way to go when they have sales?.Or would it be better to buy on line?.Not really sure if to buy on line what would be my best buy for value.Were really thinking of trying something other than plasma,since our living room does have two windows,so it is fairly bright most times.Thanks for your opinions.

Edited by davey buoy

if you're a heavy moviephile/tv elitist and the tv goes in a dark room, get a plasma

if you want an excellent all-round tv that you can watch in a brightly lit room get an led

lcd backlighting is old technology now.

led tvs are least power hungry, plasmas most if that matters to you

picture quality plasma generally win but the difference is not very big.

http://www.rtings.com/info/lcd-vs-led-vs-plasma

Edited by Raf

x2 for the Costco warranty.

I now treat tvs as the disposable trash that the companies now make them. Took me a long time to come to terms with buying junk but I don't worry about it anymore. It's a tv, not my recreation equipment.

Edited by kickingfrog

One thing to remember LED TV's are LCD TV's.

The older non-LED versions of LCD TV have a Liquid Crystal Screen with CCFL back lighting (florescent tubes) and the newer LED TV's have a Liquid Crystal Screen with LED back lighting (light emitting diodes). The LED's make for a brighter image and use less power. They are also less likely to have the back lighting fail or dim over time.

If purchasing LCD make sure to get the highest refresh rate available so you don't get any motion blur when watching action flicks and sports.

I have a plasma as I watch plenty of sports and I also believe the colour and image quality is superior to LCD units.

I find the LCD units to be a bit harsh and I notice motion blur even on the high end units.

I bought mine at a local retailer but would probably purchase at Bestbuy or Future Shop if it wasn't 1200kms away. ;)

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV in 46in scale. It's been a great tv, no issues, no problems.

With all that said, the only complaint I have with the plasma is that it generates a great deal of heat. Now that's fine in the cooler months, helps to keep the TV room warm, but in the warmer months, you can sure feel the heat coming off that screen, even with the A/C on.

I also have to believe that plasma is much less efficient then other systems.

HH

if you're a heavy moviephile/tv elitist and the tv goes in a dark room, get a plasma

if you want an excellent all-round tv that you can watch in a brightly lit room get an led

lcd backlighting is old technology now.

led tvs are least power hungry, plasmas most if that matters to you

picture quality plasma generally win but the difference is not very big.

http://www.rtings.com/info/lcd-vs-led-vs-plasma

Couldn't have said it better myself.

One key thing to consider is the software behind the TV. I personally hate the Samsung software (I have a Blu-Ray and a Plasma TV) and wouldn't buy another because I just can't stand it. Of course, the others might not be much better.

f you can find a TV you like at Costco, it's a great place to buy it since they have a 90 day return and a two year warranty, IIRC.

Edited by FishLogic

After installing an antenna for motivation, we are on our last month of being hooked up to that umbilical cord rip-off called cable and will also be buying our first non-CRT TV. Led seems to be the better of all worlds, if you find a lower price almost everyone will try to match prices to make a sale or offer you better pricing on any accessories you might need or want and consider looking into what advantages the "smart" set will offer your needs. Good luck.

I picked up a 52" LG plasma on sale about 6 months ago from future shop I got it for $539 after haggling him down from the sale price of 599, so add in my 5 year warranty and I walked out a tad over 700 I was pretty pleased, 600hz refresh rate, so loads more than any led so for games and sports its vivid and excels greatly compared to LCD and is better than LED in my opinion for my uses that is

Edited by leaf4

I run a 36" LG LCD in our bedroom, 46" Sony Bravia LCD in the living room and 55" Samsung LED in the basement.

Have to say that the LED kicks the crap out of both the LCD's in pretty much everything.

In my experience, I'd say go with the LED, hands down.

LED or plasma should come down to light levels in the room as Raf mentioned. Plasma shows glare in well lit rooms, especially rooms with alot of natural light. Other things to consider is the heat that the plasma gives off, which is not a good thing in the summer.

I also vouch to purchase a TV at Costco. I have a premium membership and when I bought my Sony Bravia I got 3 years warranty included with no additional cost. Their pricing is usually the cheapest around as well for electronics. If price of TV changes in 90 days, they will also reimburse the difference. Not sure how big of a rush your in but when I hit Costco next time I can take a few pics of what they got for you. Send me a PM if I can help. i would need to know the size and type (plasma/lcd/led) of TV to look for.

I have a 39 inch LCD, and enjoyed the picture. It was in a bright room, etc., so it was the correct choice. However we just finished our basement, and put a entertainment area in, so it was time to upgrade. After a lot of research, I went with a Samsung F8500 - 64 inch. This is their flagship model that competes with the Panasonic VT model (now ZT I believe).

Colours are definitely sharper, clearer. And on the plus side, the Samsung is probably the brightest Plasma around.

It will really come down to - Budget, Room Type, and what you watch.

I used this forum in the decision process -> http://www.avsforum.com/f/. Everyone will have their opinion - and think their TV choice is the best - but what I was mainly looking for were problem issues, etc.

Next do some searches on the the model you are looking for, RE: reviews. CNET usually has some good reviews and can point you in the correct direction.

Finally the big box stores, including Costco, have I guess what I will call the "general" market TV's. If you are looking for the high end models (Like the Panasonic VT/ZT or Samsung F8500), will have to go to smaller stores, like 2001 Audio, etc. (I can point you in the direction - have a friend that works there - he won't upsell you) - course that only works if you are in Barrie...hahahahahaa.

FInally - TV's still cheaper in the US. This guy was extremely helpful -> https://clevelandplasma.com/. I ended up buying my TV locally, but it was a close thing.

I preffer plasma myself, and enjoy the movies and all the sports I watch on it.

My advise would be to go for a bigger screen this time, Davey. I was glad I did! Remember you don't need to sit back far away from the tv with these screens, so room size isn't an issue. And I have never heard anyone say; "Man, I wish I had gotten a smaller screen!" lol

Edited by Mike Pike