If we cant fish them,why are we

misfish

I was reading down through this thread, hoping to see someone provide this response, and finally I did. Thanks Musky. I couldn't agree more. IMO, it's an odd attitude for people to have, thinking that if they can't use something, or that that "something" doesn't provide a direct benefit to them, then it's not of value.

The place and purpose of any species on this planet, whether it's fish, plant, or animal, has so many more far-reaching and multi-faceted values than just whether it can tug on someone's line or wind up as someone's dinner, and it's a shame that so many are blind to that. It's that attitude that is a root cause of widespread habitat and species loss worldwide, whether it's Toronto and other urban centres chewing up thousands of acres of farmland to urban sprawl every year, or slashing and burning Brazilian rainforest to pump out beef for the McDonald's machine. If people fail to see the inherent value in the sheer existence of natural, wild ecosystems and the creatures that inhabit them, and they only see what can be provided directly to them for their benefit, then no wonder species decline and habitat loss are no big deal to most of the world's population, right? Big deal - it's just a swamp. Big deal - it's just some trees. Big deal, it's just some fish that I can't catch.

The restoration, conservation, and protection of all organisms, for the plain purpose of ensuring their continued survival in this world, to continue providing all of the ecological and intangible roles and values they serve is something we should all strive to support. And yes - this is coming from someone who ate a 17" smallmouth bass for dinner tonight, caught by me fresh this afternoon.

As John Muir wrote .... "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe."

This quote has often been incorrectly misquoted as the following more commonly referenced statement: "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."

I actually find the latter usually resonates better with most people.

Thanks, yes by all means eat species while there is plenty and protect it when its in danger.For me I'm not so much into raping the environment as I am into giving it a loving shag on the weekend and leaving it a nice note saying I'll give it a call sometime but never really intend to unless I'm drunk and can't find anyone else to go out with.

Its not about pillage and plunder.

Its about conserving a resource that is native to Ontario and that my friend is the goal of MNR .

I back the MNR 100% simply because they at least try to find solutions to depleting native fish stocks.

Stocking lakes with fish that are not native is a circle of failure.

It can and does disrupted the ecology of a lake with repercussions that can be detrimental to a lake or river.

Catch and release works!!!

I just wish Ontario would adopt a trophy lake system.(0 fish kept) in more lakes and rivers/ not just sanctuaries.

Don.

Edited by saltydawg

Very short sighted opinion IMHO. Fish have a value outside of whether or not you can angle for them. They are part of a ecological chain that has existed for millions of years until we showed up and decimated their population with harvest and environmental degradation. You can't shoot peregrine falcons yet they "waste" money reintroducing them to downtown Toronto. Fisherman despite this boards egocentric opinion are not the only users of the environment. Knowing that sturgeon are there and part of a healthy balanced biology is all I need.

EXACTLY!!! :good:

Typical ignorance of today's world though..people only care about something if it's for their own benefit. :wallbash:

I was reading down through this thread, hoping to see someone provide this response, and finally I did. Thanks Musky. I couldn't agree more. IMO, it's an odd attitude for people to have, thinking that if they can't use something, or that that "something" doesn't provide a direct benefit to them, then it's not of value.

The place and purpose of any species on this planet, whether it's fish, plant, or animal, has so many more far-reaching and multi-faceted values than just whether it can tug on someone's line or wind up as someone's dinner, and it's a shame that so many are blind to that. It's that attitude that is a root cause of widespread habitat and species loss worldwide, whether it's Toronto and other urban centres chewing up thousands of acres of farmland to urban sprawl every year, or slashing and burning Brazilian rainforest to pump out beef for the McDonald's machine. If people fail to see the inherent value in the sheer existence of natural, wild ecosystems and the creatures that inhabit them, and they only see what can be provided directly to them for their benefit, then no wonder species decline and habitat loss are no big deal to most of the world's population, right? Big deal - it's just a swamp. Big deal - it's just some trees. Big deal, it's just some fish that I can't catch.

The restoration, conservation, and protection of all organisms, for the plain purpose of ensuring their continued survival in this world, to continue providing all of the ecological and intangible roles and values they serve is something we should all strive to support. And yes - this is coming from someone who ate a 17" smallmouth bass for dinner tonight, caught by me fresh this afternoon.

As John Muir wrote .... "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe."

This quote has often been incorrectly misquoted as the following more commonly referenced statement: "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."

I actually find the latter usually resonates better with most people.

Could of not said it better myself, sums it all up perfect...hope this all makes some real sense now to some fokes...On a side note lets see Scugog closed off to Ice Fishing for a few years...one thing is for sure that fishery had headed down hill one little white bucket at a time :(

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Glad to hear of some success in the program. I continue to hear of greater and greater numbers of Sturgeon entering the Notty. I remember a guy caught one near the mouth 25 years ago and at that time it was an EVENT! I support succesful reintroductions of native species. When it comes to throwing millions down the rabbit hole on an unsuccessful venture over a period of more than 20 years (cough.. atlantics.... cough) I agree they should switch gears and move the funds to a more succesful program.

The river and joining lakes around Montreal are polluted with them. I have seen hundreds caught and photographed over the last year. Here we have a possession limit of 1 per year. I have seen them caught on walleye gear, catfish bait, crank baits and anything else.

I wonder what they taste like ???

If smoked right its really good...

The First Nations in my area put out set lines for them and sell smoked sturgeon...,

I have a friend that is great at smoking... He has stopped me on the water to give me some.... And it never makes it back to shore...

You can buy it at a few of the marinas on the reservation...,

I'm glad that they are protected I have caught a few while walleye fishing the Ottawa river and we were asking almost 20yrs ago up in the Ottawa river district to have it closed and nobody listened the MNR In pembroke said they were considering it and did nothing for years !!!!! I saw them caught and left to die and treated like they were a garbage fish !!!!! I see a few and catch the odd one now and agin so I'm hoping they are protected for along time as its gonna take years to get the numbers back as they do not reach sexual maturity apparently till they are 20-25years old !!!!!! So it's gonna take some time no problem I can wait !!!!!! And yes they fight hard in the current with that big tail for sure.....

Just down Down from my house I see catches quite often and some are comical to watch, pulling boats all around the river lol. They are so strong it's crazy! The big one I landed from shore took a little over an hour to get to shore. Caught it first cast and that was the end if my day lol. My shoulders and back just took a beating, as did my bass rod. I could feel the pressure right down to the reel seat. Incredible fish, I'd love to be able to catch and release one day

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Misfish, I helped run the sturgeon program with the Nottawasaga Conservation Authority a few years back. Not sure where you're getting your information from but the MNR isn't currently stocking Lake Sturgeon in Georgian Bay/Huron. Currently, the NVCA/MNR are monitoring there presence, mapping their spawning habitat and improving riparian habitat which indirectly improves habitat for species such as salmon and trout in the Notty. SO, actually, the fact that sturgeon are protected means there is more government funding to help imrpove the habitat in the Nottawasaga which will also help salmon/trout.

You need to understand the mandate of the MNR, its not about improving the populations of gamefish for anglers, its about bringing back native fish to their historic populations. Which I totally agree with....

Nice catch Love to accidently catch one if only for the fight.Watching too many fishing shows lol.

They sure get the heart going when you're fishing a small creek for trout and hook into one of these dinosaurs!

From a Lake Eire trib last fall, about 4 ft long.

sturgeon1.jpg

sturgeon.jpg

sturgeon2.jpg

Hi Misfish, I helped run the sturgeon program with the Nottawasaga Conservation Authority a few years back. Not sure where you're getting your information from but the MNR isn't currently stocking Lake Sturgeon in Georgian Bay/Huron. Currently, the NVCA/MNR are monitoring there presence, mapping their spawning habitat and improving riparian habitat which indirectly improves habitat for species such as salmon and trout in the Notty. SO, actually, the fact that sturgeon are protected means there is more government funding to help imrpove the habitat in the Nottawasaga which will also help salmon/trout.

You need to understand the mandate of the MNR, its not about improving the populations of gamefish for anglers, its about bringing back native fish to their historic populations. Which I totally agree with....

Thank you for your reply.

From what I took from the sign,(which is posted in Angus at the Notty) they were doing restoration and stocking . But maybe I read into it to much.

Thanks again.