Bass Pro XPS Charger - Looking for Opinions

alexmedic

After going through 3 Nautilus 3 banks chargers from CTC in the last 2 months, I decided to get my money back and plan on buying the one on sale at Bass Pro.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Intelligent-Technology-Series-OnBoard-Marine-Battery-Charger-XPS-iT-5/5/5/product/10224685/

Anyone ever use one? The reviews look good, but it's always nice to see some reviews closer to home!

I've never used that one but you should do ok with it. Since I've purchased my Guest charger I've never had an ounce of trouble. For what it's worth, I'd never ever buy anything with the word "nautilus" in it from CTC.

I'm in agreement with Roy on the Guest chargers.

I put one on a new boat back in '99, used it for 10 years then sold the boat to a bud and the Guest is still going strong after 14 years.

My current boat came with a built in MK charger but if it didn't, I'd be using another Guest.

I've never used that one but you should do ok with it. Since I've purchased my Guest charger I've never had an ounce of trouble. For what it's worth, I'd never ever buy anything with the word "nautilus" in it from CTC.

I have to agree. The Nautilus charger was a real let down for me. 3 chargers in a 2 month window is just not right. I always thought it seemed like it was working too hard each time I plugged one in.

I'm in agreement with Roy on the Guest chargers.

I put one on a new boat back in '99, used it for 10 years then sold the boat to a bud and the Guest is still going strong after 14 years.

My current boat came with a built in MK charger but if it didn't, I'd be using another Guest.

Where can I buy a guest in the GTA? Their website comes up for nothing in my area?

Although it sounds like you've made up your mind, I'll throw this into the ring for consideration. When I replace the Nautilus Intelligent Battery Charger that I have now which only works on the 2 amp setting, I'll be getting this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Bank-Sportsman-Series-Charger/dp/B000N9XOCE

My Nautilus charger is a portable single output 15/10/2 amp charger which I have hardly used. I bought it 8 or 9 years ago, but I maybe charged a deep cycle battery 10 times over two years at the most and when I pulled it out this year to start using again it only charges on the 2 amp setting. What a waste. Never again with Nautilus. Junk!

Now the charger I linked to is considerably more expensive than the BassPro unit you are looking at, but it is highly rated, and it can supposedly be fixed, which for me is a big plus as I hate the throw away premise. One guy reported on another site that his 6 year old unit failed, and when he called Dual Pro for parts, they shipped him a new unit at N/C. That's what I call customer service.

Also, Guest does indeed make a 3 bank charger:

http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/24-volt/marine/GU2623A.html

Hope this helps.

My bass tracker came with a guest charger when it was bought in 2006. I sold it 2 years ago and it was still running strong. I needed to go to a 3 bank and would have bought another guest but I knew someone who was selling a Minnkota 330 charger and bought that instead. He had it for 4 years and it is still running strong. When I buy a new one (on a new boat), it will be another minn kota just because they charge faster. The guest was a 4/4 and took over 10 hours to charge the TM batteries from a half charge. The 330 (10/10/10) can charge all three of my batteries within 4 hours.

I had the BPS 2 bank charger for about 6 months and then it died on me. BPS gave me a full refund at which time I exchanged it for the Minn Kota 2 bank charger.

The Minn Kota charger has been great so far. 4 years

Personnally I would stay away from the BPS. just my opinion and experience

Happy with my 3 bank MinnKota for the bow-mount into my second year. I'll probably add another 2 bank charger for my main/kicker batteries. I had a Cabela's house brand 2 bank and I was never sure if it was charging correctly. Once in a while the bow-mount seemed sluggish and wouldn't last long but the next time it would be fine.