Last Debate - Smokercraft Pro 162 XL vs. Alumacraft Competitor 165 Sport

Rizzo

Thanks to all who have given advice on my other questions, helped me decide on Smoker Craft instead of Lowe, and Suzuki instead of Merc. Was just about to buy the Smoker...and then went to Bay Cty Marine and saw an Alumacraft Competitor 165 Sport with a 70 hp Yamaha. Now just some background - want it to fit in garage which both of these will. Both have full windshield that I also want. The smoker is a bit wider (4 inches) but the Alumacraft a bit longer (8 inches I think) The Smoker is a real sweet looking boat on a sharp looking trailer that will be close to max hp (a 70 suzuki on a max 75 boat). The alumacraft is new as well but from 2012, less flashy in appearance, but looks to be built like a tank (did not see the trailer). It has a 70 Yamaha (also new but 2012) on it but the boat maxes out at 90. Upgrading to the 90 is not an option for financial reasons so I'd be around 80% of max. The 2012 alumacraft/yami is $500 dollars more than the 2013 Smoker/Suzuki. For the most part the boat will be used for fishing on St Clair, me and one other guy. Possibly a little bit of "gentle" tubing - my kids are young and not very courageous. Thanks in advance to anyone who gives advice or opinions, after this I'm buying one of them!

go with the suke/smoker combo getting better bang for your buck

the alumacraft while decent boat are built extra heavy look at the double flooring ect so unless you can equip it to max hp it will be a performance "letdown" compared to other 70-75hp class boats

Don't worry Roger.. they're all so confident that if you're not happy with it they'll buy it from you at full MSRP!! LOL Decisions decisions... always a tough call no matter the choices in front of you! Good luck with which ever direction you go...

well said Wayne! At the price point I'm looking at there will always be something left to desire...hence my difficulty making a decision. The good news is, I like both boats so hopefully happy either way. With the aluma I worry that the 70 might be inadequate, with the Smoker I worry the aluma is the better quality boat!

oops and forgot one thing. Can't seem to really find anyone that services alumacraft boats should there be a problem with it. Bay City in Hamilton is no longer carrying them and I can't seem to find anyone else. Anyone know a place that would provide warranteed service on the boat should the need arise?

Issue with all these boat manufacturers...... they are scaring off dealers by continually raising the number of boats / year that you have to "floor plan" to be a dealer. Why when the owner of Naden asked me how many boats that I thought a "dealer" should have to buy per year to have the "honour" of selling the brand I told him ONE ... and it works!

Edited by irishfield

If it were me in your position I would concentrate on the engine rather than looks or speed?

I say that because without a good engine pushing your boat then its all pretty much worthless?

Its a long way from that old cannoe..

Good luck

:thumbsup_anim:

Don.

I'm glad I just flipped a coin and bought a boat.......now I have to wait till june till it arrives

hello lund

Which boat from Lund?

Id go for the Alumacraft op. That was one of my few choices a few years ago when i was purchasing. Solid boats.

you guys are killing me! Of course its the more expensive one. Nobody concerned about the 70 hp on a max 90 boat? This is one thing that was concerning me about the alumacraft

Of course!! You want it to last. if the classic runs 30mph with a 50 E-tec i'm guessing the 70 should run at least mid 30's when loaded. Good luck.