slot sizes

beagle dad

this slot was implemented a Cpl yrs before the rest of the kawarthas

seems to be working lots of non keeper fish can be caught

prime spawner was believed to be between 14-21 inches determined by the chance of a walleye growing to a maturity

I think the plan is to compare noted between the two slots and see which one produces the best natural reproduction.

The only way to do it right is have a different slot on every lake. They are all different.

Trent severn waterways, crappies, and zebra mussles have a much bigger impact than any slots or reduced limits IMO.

S.

I think it would be easier for anglers to have a "Keep" slot size. Rather then "release" slot size.

Lake Nipissing is release all walleye between 40cm and 60cm. So you can keep walleye smaller then 40cm or bigger then 60cm. Why not just keep fish under 50cm and release all walleye bigger then 50cm?

Captpierre, Lake Nipissing is 40cm - 60 cm slot size and the rest of Zone 11 is 42cm - 60cm.

Its not the slots or reduced limits that brought the eyes bback on rice.....or any of the kawarthas.

Look at the big picture.

Rice was missing 3 or 4 year classes due to trent severn dropping water levels before eggs hatched. At the same time, crappies were fluorishing, and zebra mussels were introduced. The same scenario will play out on all the kawarthas. The tri-lakes will be the next big walleye boom. Scugog is going thru the same decline now that rice did about 8 years ago.....it just took that long to get to that end of the system.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the slot, but don't think for a second it has anything to do with fish populations after only 2 yrs in place. There are much bigger impacts at play here, not fisherman, slots, or limits. The lakes are going through changes, and take time to bounce back from the effects of those changes.

S.

sinker I don't totally disagree with you

but around 8 yrs back the walleye bite was on on lake scugog

it was unbelievable to see the mass of boats and fishermen..catching limit after limit

mnr showed up and even though many "anglers" were charged it didn't stop the slaughter that took place

I believe this is a big factor in lack of fish

slots and limits are not made for the anglers that care

they are not made for zebra mussels and crappy

its made to prevent humans from destroying a species

Scugog was a fish factory, and will be again in time. It hasnt been outfished by anglers, just set back by other environmental impacts. Give it 4-5. Yrs and it will be just as good again.

I've fished it for 25yrs, and watched it happen with my own eyes on all these lakes.

Radnine, I'm not sure if that was a double post or not, but I don't think it was. Explain how a slot that has been in place for two seasons has made any significant impact on the fishery in rice lake? It takes a lot longer than that to see any changes.

Like I said, I'm all for the slot and reduced limits, but it seems to me that you guys are missing the big picture on these lakes.

S.

The best limit would let a person keep enough fish for a fish fry for his family.

Many of my friends will only fish lakes where they can get a feed.

The lakes need to be managed to make this happen.

I hope none of your 'friends' fish the same water I do.

I think the plan is to compare noted between the two slots and see which one produces the best natural reproduction.

The only way to do it right is have a different slot on every lake. They are all different.

Trent severn waterways, crappies, and zebra mussles have a much bigger impact than any slots or reduced limits IMO.

S.

x2 on that

I just find it strange how many different slots there are...

Like here... In NY state you can only keep walleye over 18"

Ontario zone 20 ...4 fish no more then 1 over 24"... But st Lawrence is an exception with no size limit....

Quebec is like 15-21" you can keep....

And that's for the same body of water... I would think the 3 different guidelines six cancel each other out....

The best limit would let a person keep enough fish for a fish fry for his family.

if your family consists of 3 people, thats pretty much where the limit is right now. If you fish as often as most of us here do, and have a family of 5 or more you can see what problems might rise. I doubt any of us rely on fishing for food these days, and with the populations we have, we would be screwed if we did...

I agree with sinker.... to add.. I believe the Crappie have a say in it as well.

Trilakes will boom again and soon Shayne, possibly this year! :)

Edited by Harrison

Balsam Lake is in grave danger because of the slot. In the 1st place Balsam never needed a slot.

Before the slot you could catch every size walleye from 10 inchs to 9 lbs and lot's

The danger is all the gaint walleye are gone. They hit that over slot and they are harvsted and the gaints have got smaller and smaller.

Now a gaint is 6 lb they will be gone in a few years. And then the clock starts ticking 3-4 bad spawns and it will be un recoverable.

Even today if Balsam was changed to the Kawratha Lakes slot the lake would be hammered until it crashed.

Radnine, I'm not sure if that was a double post or not, but I don't think it was. Explain how a slot that has been in place for two seasons has made any significant impact on the fishery in rice lake? It takes a lot longer than that to see any changes.

It was a double post, but it was on purpose. I think that the minute a slot size is brought in that makes someone throw back a fish that they might have otherwise kept, it is helping the lake. In other words the minute I land a 20" fish that I might not have landed before the slot because someone kept it, the slot size has helped me.

You are clearly educated in the way of fish, but that point somehow eluded you.

Jim

There is a guy on Big Doe Lake near Burke's Falls that is on the lake every day (the guy in the small pontoon boat). He is always out there as he lives right across the road from the lake. I don't know if he eats his four walleye a day or not, or if he has a freezer full (which would be a no-no) but he is out there catching fish every freaking day, and keeping fish every freaking day.

How many fish has he (or someone that has fished Nipissing everyday for 20 years) taken out of that lake?

Jim

THINK THE LIMITS SHOULD BE LESS

2 FISH PER LICENSED ANGLER

NO TO FEEDING FRIENDS GET A LICENSE GET OUT THERE AND CATCH IT

EVER EAT MORE THAN 2 WALLEYE IN A SITTING

YES THIS IS A BIG ISSUE DAY AFTER DAY TAKING LIMITS....AMAZING HOW OFTEN ITS THE LOCALS THAT BREAK RULES

THE EXCUSE IS " BEEN DOING IT FOR YRS HAVEN'T HURT A THING"