Do you give back for the enjoyment you get from fishing

esoxansteel

We all enjoy fishing,but do you give back for the enjoyment you receive, what groups/clubs do you belong to, do you plant trees,stream rehabilatizing etc or any other volunteer work.

Since i started the topic ill bite first

I belong to the Kawartha Lakes Chapter of Muskies Canada, and currently am doing memberships for the chapter, and have been involved with seine netting and trap netting on Balsam Lake with the MNR and MCI determining spawning sites for both muskies,northern pike, and where they both overlap producing hybrids.

Also have planted trees and done stream rehabitation on the upper Ganaraska River and Gages Creek in the past

I have participated in more stream and park cleanups than I could ever hope to remember. I still pick up trash whenever it's reasonable to do so. Gotten into more nasty fights with govt when they have chosen to turn a blind eye or sit on their :asshat: , ie 15 Mile creek as a recent example. I also promote and partake in angler outreach programs.

Member of the Nottawasaga Steelheaders. Stream rehab, scale sampling, etc... Also did a day with the MNR out on Gloucestor Pool netting muskie for the Lake Simcoe Muskie Restoration program. That was a lot of fun.

I've done a bit 34 years at the fish way , been on ther river more thi year helping guys who are just starting like this am guy caught his first rainbow with a fly my son tied and gave him and we adjusted his float and showed him how to use a fly under a float it was a. Big smile on his face

I'm an executive member of the Glanbrook Conservation Committee. Most of our work is at the Binbrook Conservation area which consists of Bluebird trails, wood duck and Mallard nests, 10 000 trees and 30 000 aquatic plants since 1991, build and supply nest box kits to scout groups and schools(900 so far), development and maintenance of walking trails, shoreline protection projects, 12 cribs and over 1000 christmas trees sunk for fish habitat with another 10 cribs this year, we help with the winter crappie derby and hold our own spring derby, each year we bring a bus load of inner city kids out for a few hours of fishing and thanks to Fishing World we send them home with tackle and fishing rods, we kept the duck hunt going through some lean times for the conservation authority until they could staff it themselves..

While we aren't always happy with the way the Authority runs the park they have over time put more money and attention into the place. We will continue to work with them to advocate for all park users, especially fishermen and hunters....

http://glanbrookconservation.on.ca/joomla15/

I'm an executive member of the Glanbrook Conservation Committee. Most of our work is at the Binbrook Conservation area which consists of Bluebird trails, wood duck and Mallard nests, 10 000 trees and 30 000 aquatic plants since 1991, build and supply nest box kits to scout groups and schools(900 so far), development and maintenance of walking trails, shoreline protection projects, 12 cribs and over 1000 christmas trees sunk for fish habitat with another 10 cribs this year, we help with the winter crappie derby and hold our own spring derby, each year we bring a bus load of inner city kids out for a few hours of fishing and thanks to Fishing World we send them home with tackle and fishing rods, we kept the duck hunt going through some lean times for the conservation authority until they could staff it themselves..

While we aren't always happy with the way the Authority runs the park they have over time put more money and attention into the place. We will continue to work with them to advocate for all park users, especially fishermen and hunters....

http://glanbrookconservation.on.ca/joomla15/

:angel::clapping::worthy:

Over 35yrs of various volunteer work, mostly with the MNR. Presently still sit on the advisory council for FMZ 17. Spent several yrs with a fishing club being involved right from the get go, upgraded their web site, (yes me... a 2 finger typer but now am up to 12 words a minute and now use 4 fingers). Formed a new chapter from the ground up with a handful of great guys. Too bad some things have to come to an end because of childish people. To this day I still won't forgive guys for their rumors they have started.

im one of the few outdoorsman in my family/group of friends i always try to make extra effort to take kids and newbies out fishing...

Unfortunatly most hate anything to do do with fishing/hunting and the outdoors.... I cant see our numbers as a group increasing anytime soon :(

I spend an inordinate amount of my disposable income at fishing stores and renting cottages from fishing resorts. I also spend lots of my spare time trying to get like minded individuals to spend their money with me.

It has been my unfortunate finding that many clubs or associations formed around any topic of personal interest, are filled with ultra-maroons.

Jim

I also belong to a Fishing Club in Hamilton.. The Association Sportsman Club and I have for the last 9 yrs ran a Fishing Derby for the Children at our Trailer Park teaching them Conservation as to keeping the park Clean and also in the Derby that we are only doing Catch and Release .. Have a great time doing it and with the help of Sponsors giving the Kids prizes for for 1st,2nd,& 3rd in 4 age groups also Largest Carp Caught as well as largest Fish ( usually Bass) also all kids get a grab bag of supplies that are donated.. We also have a Hotdog and pop deal after the Derby.. Will not give it up.... REWARDING for sure....

we have been involved for over 30 years. as a member of mci belle river chapter we also do the belle river sunsplash 250 kids yearly along with kidscps and canadian tire. also as a big brother years back. as a manufacturer ,we love to see dads and moms bring the young guns into the outdoor world. guys remember taking time will ensure your fishery and your grandkids outdoor adventures. from catching a frog to fishing.. as i read these posts i was very happy to read ron reyns post. theres a guy thats stood up to be counted.

thanx ron.

I spend an inordinate amount of my disposable income at fishing stores and renting cottages from fishing resorts. I also spend lots of my spare time trying to get like minded individuals to spend their money with me.

It has been my unfortunate finding that many clubs or associations formed around any topic of personal interest, are filled with ultra-maroons.

Jim

Your right there Jim, with any club there's always a few of those individuals, and yes in many cases, fish, birds, and wildlife, flora and fawna, are more tolerable and more intelligent then people we see on a daily basis, I just tend to see right through the :asshat: holes as if there not even there, knowing that im helping out in some small way for passion i get from our resourses.

Volunteered with CLOCA in my school days, then in college I did more tree planting and volunteering with them. Got into the Atlantic Salmon hatchery and took part in the release of yearlings a few thousand I remember stocking with a dozen people from Fleming. was a blast, and now I hear of Atlantic's being caught here and there on the board, kinda neat I guess :P Since then I've sold rods and reels and helped people catch fish (don't think I'm helping the creatures out too much :P)