E test new testing

Steve Piggott

Jan1 2013 they have a new way of testing. I have had two cars done and they both failed with no check engine lights on or any thing that would suggest that something is wrong. The new read out saids NOT ready for the test.Now I have to get a diagnostic test done $80,00 to see if there is a problem $40.00 for another test x 2 cars and if it get a not ready agian they will give me a READINESS CONDITIONAL PASS so I can get my stickers.I would like to know if anybody else has had this problem .$ 160.00 for 4 e-test I think the goverment is double dipping. Both cars are 2006.

Pretty common, the new test was not well thought out.

Some manufacturers are even having trouble with brand new cars.

All systems need to be in ready-mode, regardless of what is actually coming out the pipe (which, for most cars on the road isn't even tested anymore)

Some info on "readiness" here http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/category/drive_clean/STDPROD_102721.html

Seems like you don't need the diagnostic to get your sticker, just wait a couple of days, go back and if you gte the same result you can get your stickers anyway! http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/category/drive_clean/STDPROD_103062.html

I did the advertising or this for many years, but they have cut back on informing the public with ads or brochures. There was talk that vehicles built in 2007 or later were not being tested? Did it happen?

I have a 2007 bought in 2010 and this year no notice of a test!

With ever increasing frequency we are reminded why we must hang politicians and the people who lobby them to show them we've had enough. Just another page in the tax creep portfolio. They're all resigning and running away with pockets overflowing all the while shoving new tax toys up our asses almost monthly. On second thought hanging means they're gonna stink the place up more than they already do. Anyone have a light????

Edited by moxie

Its cheaper to take the chance and drive with no sticker. I drove a full year 2 years ago, and didn't even know it lol. Never got stopped either, and I was supposed to do an emissions test that year too. I have to do the new system this year, and my CEL is always on, so I might just try it again!

S.

Hey.. but the test makes this place a better planet!!! When your truck won't pass E test you just take it to North Bay and sell it, just like all the dealers do!! All or none... lets skip the...

.. and yah Shane.. the fine is only $110 for expired tags.

Edited by irishfield

[quote name="irishfield" post="769189" timestamp=" When your truck won't pass E test you just take it to North Bay and sell it, just like all the dealers do . .

You are in doo doo now Wayne lol. You let the bag out of the catolytic converter. If my '95 jeep wasn't going to pass I had a farm address in reserve. A farmer owens it now :) but it passed as new.

They do this so you cant just clear your check engine light in the parking lot before the test. That being said, the way they've gone about doing it seems pretty poorly thought out. Some readiness monitors take very specific conditions to even run. I did a repair on my truck just before christmas and cleared the codes, the Evap monitor still hasn't run. I went into the shop I used to work at that does e-testing and asked about that. and they explained the whole condition pass/readiness pass nonsense. Basically it seems that anybody that has to renew their sticker in the wintertime is more likely to get screwed with running extra tests and diagnostics. Luckily since my sticker isn't due until next December and the tests are good for a full year I can wait until summer to do the test and hold on to it until needed.

Man. If I could show you guys the crap (no cameras allowed) running out of the place I'm working right now and directly into Lake Superior, you'd pretty much puke. The gov't turns a blind eye to the big shooters, but they attack the hard working guy/gal that is trying to support his/her family, and can't afford repairs or a newer vehicle. Nice.

the readiness monitors should all be ready as long as you have not cleared dtcs, disconnected your battery, or there is a pending dtc and it is monitoring the data to see if a dtc should be set.

heres how to "try" and get the monitors "ready".

start with 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank of gas. evap monitors wont run with a full tank or almost empty tank

Step 1. The vehicle must have sit for 8 hours,without a start. This is required for the EVAP Monitor in some makes, and especially true for some Fords that include a 6 to 8 hour cold soak as part of the EVAP Monitor enabling criteria.

Step 2.Warm the engine to normal operating temperature before driving it.

Step 3. Drive the vehicle for 10 minutes at highway speeds.

Step 4. Drive the vehicle for 20 minutes in stop and go traffic with at least four idle periods.

Do not turn the ignition off during the cycle. You can connect a scan tool and take a

passenger along to watch the Monitor test status display to inform you when all the

Monitors have run to Completion.

oh, just saw that link that tells you the same info... this was straight from the repair tech manual

Edited by JamesG

Man. If I could show you guys the crap (no cameras allowed) running out of the place I'm working right now and directly into Lake Superior, you'd pretty much puke. The gov't turns a blind eye to the big shooters, but they attack the hard working guy/gal that is trying to support his/her family, and can't afford repairs or a newer vehicle. Nice.

So called developing nations are still burning coal . Virtually every seaside city on earth has a sewage overflow that dumps right into the ocean if they divert and clean any sewage at all and yes, the big shooters get away with a tonne of crap and we're the ones that are wreaking havoc on mother earth. Its' the same song and dance that has been falsely portrayed for decades engineered to separate us from our hard earned money. It is a business and nothing else.