Haliburton Back Lake splake report

chris.brock

My cottage buddy who usualy comes along on these day-trip adventures, wasn't around this weekend, so this was a solo mission.

I had stuff organized the night before, so I left the cottage fairly early, a beautiful winter morning, looking at North Pigeon Lake.

100_2100_zps327bd74c.jpg

100_2099_zps4c4b4843.jpg

A quick stop at Minden Live Bait and Tackle for minnies, a quick chat with Jack and I'm on my way.

100_2101_zpsf3c91a2c.jpg

I've only fished this lake in the open water season, in a canoe. I got the impression not many people are fishing the lake because it's difficult to access. Hopefully, my long track Bravo will be the ticket to get me in to the lake in the winter.

100_2102_zps8aa6a990.jpg

To get to the lake, I would have to use canoe portages with the sled. Some creative riding was required. This pic is from the trip out. The sled slid off the portage. Lucky it's very light.

100_2110_zpsf925b725.jpg

I made it to the lake, there was no sign that anyone had been to any of the lakes I crossed. Here, I set up the tip-ups across a neck-down area of the lake.

100_2103_zps0915cb68.jpg

Nobody around

100_2104_zpsaf6bedad.jpg

Over 10" of ice, but plenty of slushy spots.

100_2105_zps64164903.jpg

The bite was steady. I caught 5 on 8 bites in less than 2.5 hours of fishing. The smaller fish in the pic was the smallest I caught. Kept 1 for dinner and 1 for the freezer. At one point, the furthest tip-up from me went down and before I could get there, the base tipped over and the tip-up was pulled down the hole. I grabbed the other tip-up on the way by, and sent the minnow down the hole. The fish was still there. I hooked it, landed it and recovered the lost tip-up.

100_2109_zpsed3510e4.jpg

Awesome machine you have there. The darn things are hard to find in good condition, I've been looking! Nice fish!

yeah, they're perfect for stuff like this trip, I've always wanted one, and had to buy this one "sight unseen" when it came up, great for back country stuff

That's a good fish/time ratio. thumbsup_anim.gif

they were biting steady, it almost felt like I wanted a lull just to let my hands warm up and to relax and look around for awhile, can't complain though

Really nice adventure Chris. I enjoyed the photos.

glad you liked the pics, we both like to be away from the crowds

Edited by chris.brock

That's a great report man!!

Love the Bravos. I have a short track, and it will go anywhere. The long tracks are unstoppable! Looks like it's in great shape too!

Congrets on the successful outing!