Winter Tires

darsky

Not sure what I'm missing guys, but it probably wouldn't be the first time. I get nailed with more snow than most here do, sitting on the high ridge (180 feet) above wide open Georgian Bay and the first to "catch a cloud" and get dumped on with snow. We can have mornings with a foot to 18" of snow, when even Midland has barely received a dusting. I run the all terains that come on the truck from the mfg. Have had a total of 7 or 8 different sets and vehicles since being on this property, with a 1400 foot laneway to get to the house from the generally unplowed concession road. I've never been stuck.....

I even plow said laneway with a 7'6 blade and a truck with all terrains on it!

Now with a lighter car... my Tbird SC wouldn't move with regular tires on it, it received a set of Mud and Snows every fall. Son same deal with his light little Ford Focus.

... and what Brian said! We're getting close to communism as it is, we don't need more shoved down our throats. Can't believe Quebec bent over so quick on the issue.

All terrains aren't all seasons. They have a much more agressive tread pattern that is usually pretty good in the snow. The BFG AT's I had on my bronco were awesome in the snow as are the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours I have on my Pilot. My Goodyears even have the snowflake pattern on the sidewall. ;)

Dedicated snows are definitely better but the gov has no business mandating them.

This is what I meant to say!

I am NOT for the govt telling me what to do for anything.

I live in the snow belt, and like to drive in the winter. A good set of dedicated snows makes a big difference. Its night and day. I have no worries getting in my Subaru and going anywhere in the winter. If anything, its fun. I'm not sure I'd like it so much in the city, but around here I can stick to back roads, and travel at my own pace with no dumb ass ahead or behind me to worry about! I LOVE it when the roads aren't plowed :clapping:

S.

All terrains aren't all seasons. They have a much more agressive tread pattern that is usually pretty good in the snow. The BFG AT's I had on my bronco were awesome in the snow as are the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours I have on my Pilot. My Goodyears even have the snowflake pattern on the sidewall.

X2

This is what I meant to say!

I am NOT for the govt telling me what to do for anything.

I live in the snow belt, and like to drive in the winter. A good set of dedicated snows makes a big difference. Its night and day. I have no worries getting in my Subaru and going anywhere in the winter. If anything, its fun. I'm not sure I'd like it so much in the city, but around here I can stick to back roads, and travel at my own pace with no dumb ass ahead or behind me to worry about! I LOVE it when the roads aren't plowed :clapping:

S.

2x minus the living in the snow belt part... ;)

Give the snow tire law a couple more seasons to prove itself out before stating how well it’s done.

I haven’t researched this but I don’t believe they implemented a minimum tread depth for winter tires, as to where a snow tire looses its effectiveness. There’s nothing here in Ontario to facilitate what a worn out snow tire is; it falls under the same rule as a summer and all-season tire. No two wear bar indicators shall touch the road surface in two adjacent treads; in other words almost a banana skin.

Yes people are following the law by having winter designated tires on their vehicle at a certain date; but there’s nothing stopping them from spinning these snow flake tires all year round. Let’s see what this law has done for the winter accident stats after a couple more winter seasons, when all these new snows are 75% or more worn out.

I run a garage; we do a lot of seasonal tire changes and I can tell you first hand that some of these used winter tires that we’re installing are just a pacifier for the owner. Anything worn past 70% (and I’m being generous here) tread on a winter tire is no better then running a decent all-season. Yes the rubber construction is different for a winter tire; but a banana shin is a banana shin; there’s a reason snow tire tread depth starts life out at 12 - 14/32 and summer/all-season at 8 - 10/32.

I’m all for winter tires but they have to be treated and replaced like a winter tire; you can’t run them down like a summer and still have the traction.

Dan.

The govt doesn't need to tell me what to do even more than they do. If you feel you need snows on your car, by all means, buy a set. I'm confident in my driving ability, both my vehicles have good rubber on them and if there is a lot of ice on the road, I'm staying home and off the road. I'm not worried about myself, its all the other drivers on the road that I worry about.

Give the snow tire law a couple more seasons to prove itself out before stating how well it’s done.

Dan raises an excellent point.

Accident data could have shown remarkable improvement if our government mandated NEW ALL SEASON tires by Dec 15 every year.

You guys still in favour?

danc is correct on that with tire wear on snows, there is a secondary wear bar on most snow tires that is between 4/32 to 5/32 above the first one when this bar is exposed the tire is considered a all-season so really only half the tread depth is snow-rated.

also people in quebec can't drive

really if you look on a map montreal is pretty much on the same latitude as north bay snow tire rule does make some sense in that regard they have consistent snowfall all winter, southern ontario just use up your 3-4 sick days and stay home

You guys need to understand that folks on the bottom of the pay scale cannot afford snow tires for any price regardless if it 'could' save them in an accident. The lower income folks are more concerned about what to EAT than putting on snow tires.

Maybe they should give up their vehicle, maintenance costs, fuel costs and insurance costs.

Might not only save their lives but also the lives of others.... whistling.gif

Yup. Winter tires save lives.Winter tires in good condition though. The Stats here i Quebec prove it, with a phenomenal drop in fatalities in this province since the manditory law was instated.I am interested to see in the next year if fatalities begin to rise again after all the brand new tires installed a couple of years ago, begin to wear down. Most people cant afford the 1000 dollar average expense for good winter tires every few years.

Maybe they should give up their vehicle, maintenance costs, fuel costs and insurance costs.

Might not only save their lives but also the lives of others.... whistling.gif

You are no stranger to hard times.

Did you give up your van and boat? That's none of my business and I don't expect an answer.

Would you have been disgruntled by a law mandating you spend $1000 on tires for a van that wasn't worth $1000? I don't mean to personalize this but for Joe Average, getting to and from work on using public transit isn't always an option. In Southern Ontario, winter rubber isn't necessary the vast majority of the time. I trust Joe Average to make a responsible decision when and how to drive on those few days and nights when winter rubber would be beneficial.

EC your rocking the boat here?? "also people in quebec can't drive" So you consider yourself an 'expert" :rolleyes:

I have driven in Quebec and in Ontario and I'd say its an even split. There are idiots here too and you just may be one of them, we don't know :asshat::wallbash:

little sensitive time of the month maybe don't understand :sarcasm:

You are no stranger to hard times.

Did you give up your van and boat? That's none of my business and I don't expect an answer.

The short answer is yes, I did give up my vehicle and all associated costs.

I've also never gone without food for me and the kids, if I had the boat would be gone too and it has come close but the vehicle was the money pit.

As for mandating snow tires, no I don't agree but after having gone without them for over 30 years then installing some several years back I'm now convinced they're worth it. I can't put a dollar value on my daughters safety.

I know this will NEVER happen but rather than the government mandating snows (which seems inevitable in this granny state), why can't the insurance companies offer a rebate for those of us who need or choose to run them? If the accident rates are reduced they should be able to give some back right?

I'm not going to hold my breath.....

The short answer is yes, I did give up my vehicle and all associated costs.

I've also never gone without food for me and the kids, if I had the boat would be gone too and it has come close but the vehicle was the money pit.

As for mandating snow tires, no I don't agree but after having gone without them for over 30 years then installing some several years back I'm now convinced they're worth it. I can't put a dollar value on my daughters safety.

I guess we're on the same page.

I think Pete's point was 'do we really need another expense when it's hard enough to meet day to day financial obligations?'. Not so much as 'do I get a tank of gas OR put food on the table?'.

There's no debate over winter rubber putting the odds in your favour but some may experience more hardship in being forced to park a vehicle during the winter months when a simple, common sense decision is what's necessary.

Its not you that you need to worry about, its the other drivers. I drive on all seasons. I dont need to justify why, but its not because im cheap. I drive from Durham Region into Toronto everyday and can assure you that the newfound "confidence" that drivers feel with snows on makes alot of them drive like its the molson indy.

If i give up my vehicle, i cant go to work. If i cant go to work, i lose my house. Or maybe i should sell the house so i can get snowtires?

Ill do the best i can with what i have. If that means leaving 1/2hr earlier so be it. But until i can afford get some, i shouldnt be put under the umbrella of idiot or cheapskate. For that matter, neither should anyone else. And if i happen to see someone having a tough go, i wont hesitate to stop and help. Whether they have winter tires or slicks.

Now open your boxes and look outside. Ever consider what happens when a reckless driver finds new confindence in his abilities to drive in the winter because he has snows on??? I'd rather be behind and excellent driver driving to conditions with all seasons than a reckless jerk with snows on.