Winter Tires

darsky

lol !!! Another ligitimate thread about to bite the dust. :whistling: I tend to agree with Spiel on this. If you cant afford to maintain a vehicule, and ensure its safety on the road, maybe public transit is the way to go.It could save your life in the long run.

lol !!! Another ligitimate thread about to bite the dust. :whistling: I tend to agree with Spiel on this. If you cant afford to maintain a vehicule, and ensure its safety on the road, maybe public transit is the way to go.It could save your life in the long run.

I agree as well I do see some junkers coming through the shop not just tires but everything, tie rods about to fail ect, vehicles in this province should have a yearly inspection done

Here in NWO we are allowed studded tires from Oct-Apr.

My GF commutes about 150km to her job over mostly secondary hwy,she has them on her Jeep Patriot.

My daily driver is a Ford Escape with very aggressive all seasons

The difference is definitely noticeable between the 2 vehicles.esp on ice & snow packed surfaces.

If the prov govt want to change the law they should allow studded tires throughout the province.

Quebec accident snow-tire accident reduction data may be misleading since there you can use studded tires. Big diff compared to AS or snows IMO. Here in Ontario FYI...

Ontario

There are no requirements for snow tires.

Studded tires may only be used North of Parry Sound and Nipissing districts and only from October 1 to April 30.

Northern Ontario residents may use studded tires anywhere in the province during this time.

Southern Ontario residents may only use studded tires in Northern Ontario. They could face a $1,000 fine if caught using them in Southern Ontario.

Talk about a money grab!

how do you figure?

just today had 3 vehicles with safety related defects ( everyone on of them had outer tie rod(s) with extreme play) there is no requirement to get these vehicles looked after and they really shouldn't be on the road,but customers choice to continue to drive like that is fine and dandy till car loses steering and themselves or someone else gets hurt

I agree that snow tires will work better when you're driving in the snow but what about when you're not? Living down here on southern Ont., most of the time I'm driving on dry pavement. How many seasons would I get out of snow tires like that? I have no problems with all seasons down here. I just don't go out there when it gets bad. Saving eight hundred bucks or more will cover the three or four 'sick days' I need over the winter.

But, I still agree with you guys that need them. If I needed them then I would have them too. I just don't like the idea of the gov't telling me what I should be doing.

I agree that snow tires will work better when you're driving in the snow but what about when you're not? Living down here on southern Ont., most of the time I'm driving on dry pavement. How many seasons would I get out of snow tires like that? I have no problems with all seasons down here. I just don't go out there when it gets bad. Saving eight hundred bucks or more will cover the three or four 'sick days' I need over the winter.

But, I still agree with you guys that need them. If I needed them then I would have them too. I just don't like the idea of the gov't telling me what I should be doing.

michelin x-ice tires have a mileage warranty of 60k last time i checked which is good,I don't miss those snow day drives into the gta

how do you figure?

just today had 3 vehicles with safety related defects ( everyone on of them had outer tie rod(s) with extreme play) there is no requirement to get these vehicles looked after and they really shouldn't be on the road,but customers choice to continue to drive like that is fine and dandy till car loses steering and themselves or someone else gets hurt

You're telling me I should have to shell out XXXX amount of dollars for the government to tell me my car is safe each and every year?

Riiiight.

Almost as bad as the emissions test on my TDI... Nothing but a money grab.

You're telling me I should have to shell out XXXX amount of dollars for the government to tell me my car is safe each and every year?

Riiiight.

Almost as bad as the emissions test on my TDI... Nothing but a money grab.

emission testing may sound like a money grab, but a mechanical fitness inspection of vehicles will save lives, already have annual for over 4500 gvwr now, eventually they will lower the weight for annual inspections to cover all vehicles

emission testing may sound like a money grab, but a mechanical fitness inspection of vehicles will save lives, already have annual for over 4500 gvwr now, eventually they will lower the weight for annual inspections to cover all vehicles

The government should worry about the people behind the wheel, that would most likely have the biggest impact on driving deaths in this province.

The government should worry about the people behind the wheel, that would most likely have the biggest impact on driving deaths in this province.

you are correct, the mechanical fitness check includes the driver, this is the ruling of the courts when ride program was challenged several years ago

I only heard about how they take their driver's test in Quebec...but today I found it....now you know why there are so many crazy drivers up there...LOL..

8695re2.jpg

Lots of terms being tossed around in this thread, and it's worth clarifying a few things.

"Snow tires" and "winter tires" are not necessarily the same thing. "Snow tires" have a more aggressive lug tread than the average summer-use tire, so they give better traction in loose snow. Otherwise, they're chemically identical to regular summer tires.

"Winter tires" are made from a different chemical mix than "normal" tires. It varies from one manufacturer to the next, but most have a high percentage of silica in the tire material. This allows them to stay soft and elastic in freezing temperatures, which gives you better cornering, better handling, much better traction and substantially better stopping power - even on dry pavement. Because normal rubber tires contract in the cold and become harder, your stopping distance increases as the temperature drops - even on dry pavement - and it can increase by as much as 25 percent! "Winter" tires mitigate this. People who say "I don't drive in thick snow" don't understand that winter tires are intended to work on dry pavement too.

Quite honestly, the difference between winter tires and all-seasons is like day and night. I live in the GTA, and I was amazed when I tried winter tires.

Having more silica in the tire material gives better traction, but the trade-off is that being softer, they won't last as long as regular summer tires. This is especially true if you run them in summer, during hot weather. Most have a max tread life of around 80k, but if you run them year-round, it's more like half that. So use them only in winter.

Before someone asks, yes, you can have "winter snow" tires - that is, snow tires that are made with lots of silica in the rubber. But not all snow tires are necessarily also winter tires. If you drive in varying conditions and that's what you want, you need to read the label before you buy.

"All season" and "all terrain" also mean different things. "All season" may have more silica than standard tires, but not nearly as much as winter tires do. "All terrain" usually describes properties in the tread pattern, like snow tires, but are chemically standard.

Winter tires are the law in Quebec because they save lives. Why not just offer insurance discounts to people who use them? It doesn't help if you get killed by someone who didn't buy winter tires. You're still dead. Does the discount still matter?

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Winter tires are the law in Quebec because they save lives. Why not just offer insurance discounts to people who use them? It doesn't help if you get killed by someone who didn't buy winter tires. You're still dead. Does the discount still matter?

My insurance company gives me a discount, I had to give them the brand name and model of the tire.

I ice fish pretty much every weekend all winter. I'm on my 3rd VW Golf and have never had snows on any of them. One year when I wasn't paying enough attention my treads got real low and when that winter started I lost control of the car once on a slippery snow covered road. Thankfully no injuries and no damage...well except for my underwear :whistling:

The next day I had new All seasons put on. That is all I have ever owned. I believe the snows would give you better traction, I would never dispute that. However I have never felt that they where necessary. Drive safe and maintain your tires and your gold. I do tons of winter driving on roads that have not been plowed and except for that one time when it clearly was my fault and not the tires... I have never even came close to having any problems.

However I'm not a Government basher either. If the powers that be decide that it would be beneficial to mandate all of us to put them on...well I'm on board 100% with no complaints.

Edited by crappieperchhunter