No Kill

kemper

Who in there right mind would ever wanna fillet 300 sunfish? LOL!

I think No Kill has it's place.. certain rivers, certain times, certain sections along with things like selective harvest... If we make sure the fishery is kept healthy, there should be zero impact when someone wants 2 for the table.

I agree 100% Bill - would be nice if people understood "selective harvest"...

Bigugli has it bang on. The only no kill is no fishing. It's a big range but the average reported here (MNR C&R guidelines) suggests 16% of fish released die. If you catch and release 25 walleye you have the same impact as a guy that keeps a limit and quits.

Whens the last time you caught and release 25 walleye in a day? ;) I hear what you are saying and when I fish for something that is sensitive to release, like walleye, I tend to catch what I want to keep and then go fish for something else. I don't think I would support a 100% no kill, but I would support some sort of rotating No Keep on certain species in certain areas.EG Kawartha Walleye... rotate the lakes so that they each rotatoe CnR every other year or something like that.

Not at all, as usual it's getting so that people jump on others for even entertaining the idea of keeping a fish what ever happened to enjoying your catch?

with regards to the rivers I say shut it down if it's that big of a problem i guess playing out large fish on 2lb test isn't gonna kill anyfish, if people were really concerned about fish welfare then they would actually use line rated to what there fishing for but i guess there's no sport in that.

I think No Kill has it's place.. certain rivers, certain times, certain sections along with things like selective harvest... If we make sure the fishery is kept healthy, there should be zero impact when someone wants 2 for the table.

This pretty much sums up my position.

Yeah, I was on it as well on Sat.. Bad idea, lol.

Sunday was blown big time. Oh well.LOL

I cant see that stretch being closed to C&R for ever Bill,but it is nice to have and yes,others are watching to make sure no fish are taken. Eventually though, it will get over populated .I think anyways. They will need to open certian parts of it to catch and keep, to sustain the population. NO??????

Oh BTW Theres a big white sign posted there now. Fishing access fee. It,s no for fishing,it,s for access to the land to fish, the fish, you have to release.LOL

I may have to reconcider buying one now,as I enjoy it to much to be hasseled.

I cant see that stretch being closed to C&R for ever Bill,but it is nice to have and yes,others are watching to make sure no fish are taken. Eventually though, it will get over populated .I think anyways. They will need to open certian parts of it to catch and keep, to sustain the population. NO??????

Oh BTW Theres a big white sign posted there now. Fishing access fee. It,s no for fishing,it,s for access to the land to fish, the fish, you have to release.LOL

Unless there's some massive rebound of the bait situation in Huron/Gbay, you'll never see that section open again (I don't think it should either).. More then enough river to fish if you wanna keep 2 for the table.

Back in the years before the limit came out for perch, there were motorhomes equipped with multiple freezers, electric fish cleaning drums, etc that sat at the Narrows in Atherley in the campground by the bridge. Those loaded freezers went south and made a healthy profit from our resources. Nowadays without naming anyone/race/etc, fish get gutted, ground up and fish burgers/soup are made from them. Maybe that's why we need limits, but definitely not the other solution.

You were fishing the wrong part of that river yesterday...

If you guys think the C&R section is the only thing that has made the fish stocks in said river better you're wrong IMO.

Sure its helped but I think conditions in the lake, summer weather, and the drop from 5 fish to 2 fish limit has played a much bigger part.

I could go on but it would be like beating a dead horse with a stick.

I'd rather catch fish, instead of trying to fill the freezer or show my neighbors how much of a man I am because I caught this stringer of fish, so I would support a move in that direction

introduced stuff (salmon, bows) or put and take stocking systems, I don't care

there's way too much fishing pressure in most of Ontario, the fishing gets better around Thunder Bay and west from there (more lakes and less fishing pressure)

Just some point form thoughts:

1) No kill would never work - no where near the man power to enforce it

2) Even if it were introduced, people break the rules all the time as it is, they will continue to do it

3) Everyone needs to worry more about what they personally do when fishing. In general people worry way to much about what others do.

There's no question that some people are scofflaws or only prepared to follow laws they agree with but the vast majority of anglers will follow the law just because it's the law. They will also self police those situations on the river when someone is breaking the law in obvious fashion.

Here's what works elsewhere

A) Make people display their fishing license on the outside of their clothing, the investigative aspect is obvious, the self policing aspect would be omnipresent on stream.

B)have large no kill, no bait, single hook, no barbs region, like the GTA as an example. Guys who wanted to, would learn effective ways of catching fish in this area without one bait , specifically roe and with no incentive to harvest a toxic waste dump and feed it to those you love, anglers would release all of the fish for angling seconds, thirds, etc..

C) Ban roe fishing, at least in pressured areas as it is still far and away the most egregious aspect of the "harvest- no harvest issue. And the most hardcore guys rabidly cling to it despite the fact Ontario is the last province where it's legal..

The biggest problem in Ontario is that the fisheries law has been "harmonized" one of the weak ass legal speak terms a government uses to make it's job easy. Ontario's Fisheries law is easy to understand, easy to enforce but the results are ultimately harmful to the basic issue, ie., fish abundance and respect for the law in a recreational pursuit that includes death as a byproduct. Our province has to get serious about the laws of conservation that are based on conservation not ease of understanding

BELIEVE IT OR NOT we have some closet P3TA folks among us...they, might not even realize it themselves... :whistling:

95% of the time the reason you have poor population of fish and the lack of good fishing is NOT because of ANGLER fishing but many environmental factors instead...some we understand and many we don't. And then out of the blue, the problems correct themselves and we have a bumper crop of walleye, bass, crappie, etc......and then the cycle repeats itself after a couple of good years...

By doing away with keeping any fish, you will no doubt lower the amount of fishermen and they are the ones FUNDING many of the programs to increase populations of fish in your area.

I have to disagree with you on some of that BB

I can't remember a stressed, heavily fished, fishery in Southern or Central Ontario, that suddenly corrects itself and produces bumper crops

the heavily funded fisheries are basically put and take, mostly with non native or introduced species, it's sort of like fishing in the big swimming pool for rainbows at the Toronto Sportsmen Show.

I can't remember a stressed, heavily fished, fishery in Southern or Central Ontario, that suddenly corrects itself and produces bumper crops

Ever fish the kawartha's?? They go thru cycles, and it has NOTHING to do with fishing pressure.

trent severn waterway is the biggest culprit. When spawning beds are left high and dry for a few years, you notice the decline in fish populations. The years we have high water in the trent, we get lots of fish. It happens. Check the scugog walleye population right now....check it again in 3-4 years. I've seen it happen in all the kawartha lakes I fish.

S.

Agreed, the number of fish in the "eater size" range in that system is astounding.

The bio behind this move is a personal friend Who lives and breathes Steel.He learned the effects of catch and release sections on the Grand from back in the day. He was the brown trout sections personal bio.We went from being unable to really sample any second year fish. To more big fish than small fish. Turned it into a world class flyfishing destination. I only wish we had more bios who were hardcore fisherman instead of bureaucrats. Shout out to the bios in S Ontario who actually fish hardcore.

Apparently, Rice Lake had a bumper crop of walleye this year...

Ever fish the kawartha's?? They go thru cycles, and it has NOTHING to do with fishing pressure.

trent severn waterway is the biggest culprit. When spawning beds are left high and dry for a few years, you notice the decline in fish populations. The years we have high water in the trent, we get lots of fish. It happens. Check the scugog walleye population right now....check it again in 3-4 years. I've seen it happen in all the kawartha lakes I fish.

S.

:good: :good: :good:

the heavily funded fisheries are basically put and take, mostly with non native or introduced species, it's sort of like fishing in the big swimming pool for rainbows at the Toronto Sportsmen Show.

Also, some guys are much more en-tuned with what is going on in a particular lake and know how to fish it much better then most that don't catch much and complain the population is WAY down...

I have personally experience that many times on Oneida Lake while walleye fishing......we're hitting a shallow rock pile RIGHT IN FRONT of a fishing lodge, catching limits in all 3-4 of our boats just before light...and watch boat after boat go right on by us searching for walleyes elsewhere....then we motor into their docks and have breakfast at the lodge/cottages they are renting, only to hear how bad the fishing is when some of them return....then after breakfast we cleaned up our catch using their fish cleaning station and they all want to know where we caught them...of course we told them......in the lake... :whistling:

Just some point form thoughts:

1) No kill would never work - no where near the man power to enforce it

2) Even if it were introduced, people break the rules all the time as it is, they will continue to do it

3) Everyone needs to worry more about what they personally do when fishing. In general people worry way to much about what others do.

Why are there any rules then if people break them anyway? Theres no logic to your statement.

I am 100% for a no kill law on low density species that arent table fare ( or on species with low numbers on certain waterbodies that need help.)

Lower limits should be put in place as well. Things like slot sizes are proven to help a struggling fishery, as Im sure lower limits would as well. Lowering limits would be much more cost effective than trying to stock a waterbody that has been destroyed by over angling.

I agree 100% Bill - would be nice if people understood "selective harvest"...

like those who think nothing of slicing a salmon for roe, but would crucify someone that did the same to a steelhead? selective harvest indeed :whistling:

i believe the 300 limit on panfish in the kawarthas was introduced to thin out the huge populations of those tasty little egg robbing fish to help the larger species?