Water levels this summer

captpierre

The lake my cottage is on was at the lowest I've ever seen in my lifetime. It's not a big or deep lake, but I think it was down about 2.5 feet. The water level marks on the rocks were really quite shocking. Good thing we built a new floating dock and pooched the old crib style one... that would have been hell to get levelled.

In the St Lawerence, below the Hydro and control Dams, water was down 3-4 feet.Many of the local launches had to add up to 100 feet of dock to access to water deep enough for docking.They even narrowed the shipping channel to keep ships from running aground.

Georgian bay is down 2-3 feet!

Andrew

Well it is.. and it isn't. It dropped almost 2 feet in the last month from where it was. That said, when my wife was about 6 years old they had over 200 feet of front lawn on Sturgeon Bay in the early 70's. When I first went there in 1981 they had about 70 feet of front lawn. It's ALMOST back to where it was this year.. some 31 years later.

Walleye opener in NWO lake (Little Vermilion) was down at least a foot, prevent us from fishing some normal spots.

Lake Erie down and the two weekends I got to go a south wind sucked the water down even more made getting out of the harbor a real chore.

Local lake in Central Ohio isn't deep to begin with and it was down a foot and a half, the prop business in the area was booming.

Or more I'd say. Terrible.

Actually, just around a foot. See here:http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/now/wlevels/dbd/

Bear in mind that with strong winds the level at a particular location can fluctuate a foot or more. I see this happen quite a bit here in Wasaga.

See here: http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/C&A/Graphs/collingwood.htm

In the St Lawerence, below the Hydro and control Dams, water was down 3-4 feet.Many of the local launches had to add up to 100 feet of dock to access to water deep enough for docking.They even narrowed the shipping channel to keep ships from running aground.

Not here.... Below your dam maybe....

I have a few secret ponds that tend to be good indicators of water levels. One of them, which is fed by a creek (not spring), was nearly completely dry. I went there in sept to check it out, and saw several panfish and bass rotting in the mud. That really upset me. my other pond (spring fed) is about 8 to 12 inches too low. same with the creek that feeds it. I only got 1 brown trout in it this year just before closer, but the bass and pannys are still biting in the pond