Ice cleats

lew

I bought a couple sets of ice cleats from CTC last year but they don't work well and am looking for something better for this coming winter. I found these on the LeBaron website catalogue and wondered if anyone has used them and are they any good.

Their not for frozen lakes, but more for when the Mrs. and I go for daily hikes along ice covered dirt roads.

Any thoughts ??

2098ab.jpg

What about putting spikes into the bottom of your hiking boots? Simms makes some excellent ones, if you can ignore that they are outrageously overpriced.

Sheet metal screws from Canadian Tire are cheaper and work just as good. I've got a bunch of them on my G4's.

I work outside on the ramp at Pearson and have been slippin and slidin for years on that icy ramp untill I purchased these things called Yaktrax ,

never a problem with traction . Check them out Lew , highly recomended .

O ya I have had my pair for several years now with no durability issues :thumbsup_anim:

I bought a couple sets of ice cleats from CTC last year but they don't work well and am looking for something better for this coming winter. I found these on the LeBaron website catalogue and wondered if anyone has used them and are they any good.

Their not for frozen lakes, but more for when the Mrs. and I go for daily hikes along ice covered dirt roads.

Any thoughts ??

2098ab.jpg

Thanks boys, I checked the Yaktrax website and it turns out there's several dealers close-by so I'll have a look at them next time I go to town.

If they don't work out, I'll have a look at the ones from MEC

X 2 on the icers.

I have what is most likely their original model and still using them for about well over 12 years now, could be 15+ years. I know 12 as I've been divorced for that long and they were a gift from the ex. :D Personally I wouldn't use anything else. I've had a couple of the pull on ones and the just kept coming off. The Velcro straps work really well and easy to take on and off.

You can get them at Lee Valley Tools.

Icers

HT Enterprises has something very similar at Canadian Tire.

Super Stud Sandals

Edit - Not familiar with the ones in the picture Lew.

Edited by fishnsled

I think for most people and most conditions multiple smaller "spikes" is better then the bigger aggressive spikes/teeth. The smaller spikes require less pressure to grip and you are less likely to catch them on the ground while swinging your leg forward. The toe and heal coverage is often better with small spikes so you have contact at the heal strike phase as well as the toe push-off.

longer spikes are best if there is any snow on the ice. many of the cleats with smaller spikes are useless when there is a skiff of snow on the ice as the spikes simply can't reach the ice. this is the most dangerous time as the thin layer of snow between the ice and your boot makes it even more slippery than plain ice.

i'm not sure which brand these are, but i've been using them for years without a hint of slippage on any surface. no worries of tripping up if you walk properly and don't drag your feet. they're very comfortable for long walks as the steel spreads the load over most of the sole of your boot rather than walking on "bumps" like those pictured. mine aren't even noticeable while other brands i've tried were horrible for walking.

plus, you can literally run across downed logs with no worries of slipping :thumbsup_anim:

cleat.jpg

Another vote for the HT ice sandals. They do work well, and are quite comfy. Maybe a little heavy, but they're effective for sure. I would tighten all the studs on a regular basis, or you will lose some. HT send me a new package of them for free though, so its all good :thumbsup_anim:

S.

I went to the CTC site and looked at those HT cleats and they look great, but reading the couple reviews available it sounds like there's a problem with the velcro straps not fitting too well.

Any of you HT users have a problem with the straps ??

I went to the CTC site and looked at those HT cleats and they look great, but reading the couple reviews available it sounds like there's a problem with the velcro straps not fitting too well.

Can't speak for those HT ones but my Icers needed to have the straps extended when I went to a heavier boot. Were fine with my hiking style boots and the -40 rubber ones but when I went to a -100 they didn't fit. Had the misses sew on an extension for the velcro and all is good. Not sure it you would need to do that with the new ones or not.

I needed to trim the straps as they were too long - I wear them over a regular hiking type boot rather than really big heavy winter boots.