When do you shut it down for the Winter?

jedimaster

Wimp. ;)

X2 !!

I really do hate winter, and have absolutely no use for freezing my tail off on some frozen lake trying to catch fish I wouldn't even bother with in open water, when there's such great fishing available just a few hours away. I no longer have as much time to fish as I once did, so it's very much a question of quality over quantity. I'll take three or four magnificent days chasing five pound smallmouth, pot-bellied southern muskies, stripers on topwater or salt water tarpon, snook and redfish over jigging up some half-thawed, wiener-sized perch every Sunday morning. Not that there's anything wrong with that .... I just prefer casting in open water.

Doing so in flip-flops with a cold beer in hand doesn't hurt either.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Shut down December 15th in the kawarthas, then start back up December 16th in any lake that is open. I used to do the hunting thing but found I would rather take the time off to go fishing. There are even less anglers on the water then, with many of them hunting.

Well, I've had my boat in the water every month for over a year now. As long as I can find a launch that's partially open, I go for it. I was fishing in january and even february this year because of the crazy winter we had.....all from the boat. Fishing the icefishing season from the boat was kinda cool....and the fishing was great!

I may be the last crazy IQ challenged on the kawartha's with a boat in the water, but I'm not fishing!

PB180011-1.jpg

PB180013-1.jpg

PB220012-1.jpg

It never really ends, if you don't want it too :)

S.

Well, I've had my boat in the water every month for over a year now. As long as I can find a launch that's partially open, I go for it. I was fishing in january and even february this year because of the crazy winter we had.....all from the boat. Fishing the icefishing season from the boat was kinda cool....and the fishing was great!

I may be the last crazy IQ challenged on the kawartha's with a boat in the water, but I'm not fishing!

PB180011-1.jpg

PB180013-1.jpg

PB220012-1.jpg

It never really ends, if you don't want it too :)

S.

That reminds me of the episode of facts of fishing where dave launche his boat and breaks through the ice and does circles to break up the ice so he can fish for largies. Looks fun LOL

I only stop when I hear that dreaded skitter of my weight across the ice... More than once have driven over a bridge in the dark seen open water then park further down river walk down to my favorite spot only to hear THUNK and have to back track and walk down another trail to that open water. Love getting out in the winter it helps keep the crowds down, where I want to fish.

There was a fantastic picture posted on Spoonpullers a couple of years ago but I can't find it....it was a picture from a boat in open water off of Grimsby with two guys downrigging about 100 feet or so from the edge of the ice where a bunch of guys were ice fishing....classic "to each his own" photo.

Maybe sooner than I want to this year...

Normally, I take the boat out of the water around the 15th October but I had a bit of a health set-back 2 1/2 weeks ago and am not allowed to drive until after I see the neourologist on the 24th Sept then, who knows what he will have to say ...

My boys from London are coming here to fish tomorrow...I hope there is not too much water in the "Tin of Beans" as it is too far for me to walk to the dock where she is parked to empty her...mind you it won't take too long if there is as I built a portable bilge with a motorcycle battery and it works great...I also use the same battery for a stern night light...

I guess if I'm prohibited from driving and they lift my license, I'll look into getting a good used electric mobility scooter or golf cart... I could use my lawn tractor to get down to the lake but if I run out of gas...then what ? I might have to rig up sumpin' to carry a jerry can with me...

Don't get old...It hurts too much !!!

BTW...Where would one look for a used golf cart or electric scooter ???