NF - What vehicle do you use to tow your boat, trailer, etc?

Default User

Just wondering what car, SUV, van or truck you folks use to haul your boat, trailer, etc.

I'm looking to step up from the little Mazda and get into something a little larger (growing family) and with more balls (excuse my language)

Ultimately, my next vehicle is going to be the Daily Driver / grocery getter / kid hauler / weekend warrior

Eventually, I would like to see myself with a nice little bass boat (or at least a tinny) in the near future

Thanks in Advance

Just wondering what car, SUV, van or truck you folks use to haul your boat, trailer, etc.

I'm looking to step up from the little Mazda and get into something a little larger (growing family) and with more balls (excuse my language)

Ultimately, my next vehicle is going to be the Daily Driver / grocery getter / kid hauler / weekend warrior

Eventually, I would like to see myself with a nice little bass boat (or at least a tinny) in the near future

Thanks in Advance

Most of the suv's are more than adequate. Also the ford F series of pick ups:good:

Grand Cherokee v8 is my tow vehicle

I wouldn't advocate anything less than a v8 if you are planning on a bass boat. Keep the Mazda for daily driving. I keep an 'ole Tercel for my commuting (100+kms roundtrip daily) I come out ahead on monthly costs even after if you figure extra insurance/plates for second vehicle just by the fuel savings.

Edited by Raf

Grand Cherokee V8 don't even know the boat is there but gas mileage towing is brutal. Considering an F150 Ecoboost.

My dad has a F150 with the eco-boost,has had it for over a year now with about 30 k on it and loves it. He gets a new F150 every 2 years and says this is by far the best one ever.And he swears it is true about the 30 miles to the gallon highway stat.

My Expedition has been an absolute dream to own. No real repairs in almost 10 years other than normal wear and tear on parts, 250,000 km and other than it's a thirsty boy at the gas pump I could not have had a better truck these last few years. It's getting a little long in the tooth and I've started looking at an Explorer and the Honda Pilot.

If you want to spend a day and test drive a few different truck head out to AutoPark. You can drive a Dodge, Ford, Nissan and anything else they have in the lot in an afternoon.

I was at Burlington location last week just to do my first walk through and probably be getting something new to me this fall. Also like the possibility of the Buick Enclave but need to do more research. My Expedition came from there and we bought my wife a GMC Envoy from Autopark Barrie a few years ago. Both have been great.

It's a fine balance between gas mileage and power and after 8 years of the V8 Expedition I'm looking more at a V6 now. I pull a 1750 Crestliner Fishhawk and could get away with a smaller V6 now. It's the 3rd row seating that I can't give up. With temagami trips, friends coming along with my 2 kids and hunting and fishing, having that extra room is so hard to give up.

Good luck in your search and be sure to share your test drive results.

FWIW, we test drove the Cadillac SRX's when we bought my wife's Envoy and broke 2 on the test drives.

Edited by Fang

Ridgeline. Loaded with the weeks worth of kit, the family and the boat, no problem pulling, and it doesnt sit rear heavy as many smaller vehicles do, which is an issue if you are front wheel drive and trying to get out of a steep ramp. 4 wheel drive is sweet at the ramp, in the snow and on the rough roads. Mileage is decent, ride and room is phenomenal. 1 of only a few trucks recommended by the Lemon Aid guide - which by the way if you want to look at a copy of for 2011 trucks, let me know - Only downside ..the price of the cap - was over 2k to get it installed, ouch.

I tow my 18.5 foot Stratos (approximately 3,200 pounds) with a 2012 F150 XTR SuperCrew with the new 5.0L V8. You can't tell the boat is behind you! The truck is still pretty new (5,200 km's), and so far I am getting a combined 60% highway 40% in town mileage of 24 - 25 mpg Canadian.

I'm told the mileage will get even better as I get closer to 10,000 km's with this engine. Rides way better than my previous 2006 Ford Escape.

I just picked up a 2012 Dodge RAM. I think it has the sharpest interior and I really like the nav system/media centre . It hauls my 17.5 aluminum like it isn't even there. My dad has a GMC and it is also great. If you get the full 4 door and a tonneau cover it is pretty much a great family machine as well.

DSCF1006.jpg

Any of the full size trucks are really good in my opinion. If you go the truck route, just choose the one that you like driving the best and hopefully that is the one that gives the best deal.

Some people have to believe for some reason that whatever truck/boat/product they purchased is the best. This reminds me of a great Mark Twain quote. "It is easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."

All that really matters is that you bought the best product for you.

Good luck.

Here's my rig, all loaded for a camping trip a few years ago:

2009_0708pictures0002.jpg

2009_0708pictures0001.jpg

2001 Dakota Sport 4x4, only has the 3.9L V6, but pulls the boat, fully loaded, without issue.

It'll never be a speed demon, likes to drink gas by the gallon, but get's the job done.

It's not my daily driver, I have a Civic for that.

I have an uplander with sport suspension that makes it able to tow 3500lbs :whistling:

After a few years towing a hybrid camper and my 16' princecraft there are signs of wear appearing in the drive train...not to mention i almost got it stuck at twin sisters this week.

Do your self a favor and buy a tow vehicle for the toys and keep your daily driver or find something strong enough for your stuff thats reliable as a daily driver itself.

I'm looking for a truck now in hopes of getting a few more years on the family van as our daily driver.

I tow with my 01 Tahoe and a 03 Sierra. The Tahoe is awesome for towing but loves to drink gas. The sierra is fantastic as well but it has 350,000 on it so it's getting replaced by a 2013 F150 with the 5L next week. Gonna miss the sierra but I got a great deal on the Ford.

Edited by Dan Bouck

I have towed a 3,000 lb boat with both an 05 Titan and have recently replaced it with the 2012 f150 Eco Boost both are great and held a tow rating of 9,900 and 11,300 respectively. The f150 averages 13.7 MPG towing and the Titan was 11 MPG they did about 4-5 MPG better without a boat behind them.

Art