I want to hear about your sunglasses

GreenCanada

Wait until you've got a lure flying at your face at 50mph and we'll see how great those $5 glasses work for you... I've got one set of eyes, I don't mind spending a little $$ to protect them.

Couldn't agree more.

Prescription for me. With strong metal frames and large, safety lenses. As Bill said, you only have one set of eyes, so I want something better than cheap frames and flimsy lenses protecting mine.

I need a prescription as well and got tired of wearing the Cocoon type. (fit overs - although they did work well for the money.) The prescription ones set me back about $300 a pair and worth every penny. Difference is night and day when compared to the fit overs.

I have the KVD Flack Jacket Oakley's and they are AMAZING. Unreal polarization and super comfy!

I'd HIGHLY recommend them to anyone!

I agree. I use Flak Jackets with the dark polarized lenses on bright days and switch to H2Optix with amber lenses in low light hours and cloudy days. I'll be buying a pair of Nema glasses next though...just to try cause I've heard good things.

Bottom line, don't go cheap with your eyes. People always underestimate the protection and performance you receive from quality lenses. I've had friends borrow my glasses when in my boat and then be surprised at the clarity and polarization.

Can't believe how much paople are willing to spend on sunglasses. For some of the numbers I have seen here or in stores I would only want to pay if they were prescription lenses. I wonder if some of the buyers of these expensive brands have actually done a side by side field test to compare cheap ones to their pricey twins?

I have tested them side-by-side. Maui Jim glasses are worth the extra money. But there's no need to pay full retail. Ebay has some real deals on Maui Jims.

Or go with a local eye care professional. One of the best buys I have had on Maui Jims was my local small-town optometrist. My wife was looking for sunglasses for me as a gift. The local guy matched prices for her and provided far better service.

Besides, my eyesight is important to me. I place more value on good UV protection.

Edited by whiskywizard

rofl2.gif Because the point wouldn't have been proved nearly as effectively if you threw them in a couple feet of water rofl2.gif This reminds me....when will you be posting your accident-prone summer report? ;)

:clapping: :clapping:

You mean you haven"t been following him on face book ?? Boy are you in for a treat:rofl2: Rabie shots, Kareoke,......Gotta love Randy !!!:good:

Costa del Mar for me.. I wear the 580 glass lenses ones both on the water and 'everyday' - best shades I've owned. I was like others before -- cheapies only but I refuse to go back now.

Edited by Raf

Wow, lots of information here that's for sure!

I was looking at these after I posed the question to everyone, http://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/sunglasses-leland_s_favorite_sunglasses-leland_oakley_all_day_polarized_sunglasses but I'm thinking it will be hard to find them in the GTA or from a Canadian website, as I don't want to be hit with ridiculous duties.

What colour of lenses do those of you that have a single pair of sunglasses prefer? I fish in all conditions, so I'm curious as to what you find to be a good "all-day" colours.

I like ones with narrower arms just in case the current hat gets tight to the top of my ears. That way, my ears don't stick out as much when I wear both.

Polarized sunglasses... amber lenses. Couldn't much care what brand as long as they're cool enough looking, don't argue with me and do what they're supposed to do.

Pass on the Bluewaters the dude who took them over a few years ago is an idiot and to busy fishing to take care of his clients. I have been waiting for over a year for my replacements that were sent in from the shop where I bought them. This is what the shop owner told me. I had three identical frames bust in the same place while wearing them. Ya think they would of sent me a different model after two times.Lifetime warranty....Ya right.

Watched a show a few months ago on what a scam prescription glasses were. Basically, anything over $150 for prescription glasses is licensed thievery. Gives you some idea as to the markup on sunglasses.

It really isn't a suprise. These days everything has a major markup. That is how businesses make money isn't it.

Even have the bifocals on them in the strength I need for that skinny braid.

Good point.

I can't get by with just sunglasses any more; I have to have my reading glasses with me too. I'd love to find a way to add little bifocal stick-on lenses to a pair of good sunglasses.

Costa del Mar for me.. I wear the 580 glass lenses ones both on the water and 'everyday' - best shades I've owned. I was like others before -- cheapies only but I refuse to go back now.

Yep, they are fantastic.

If you look on steep and cheap once in a while they come up. I got a pair for $90 a few years back. As long as you're not terribly picky on the frames you can get great deals.

I use a pair of julbo RACE with the octopus lens. link to glasses They shed water,breath well, adjust tint to light and are fully shielded from the sun. The difference between a cheap pair of glasses is the standard of the lenses. Any imperfections of the lens and thickness differences will cause your eyes to constantly compensate for this flaw and can cause eye strain. They are also impact resistant to keep a hook from getting to your eyes. I broke the nose clip on mine and called the company I shipped them back and they said the lens coating after 5 years was no longer shedding water correctly so they shipped me a new pair. I paid $130 US 5 years ago and the price seems to be in line still being 5 years later.

Art

Been using Hobie Polarized for several years after having a pair donated to me. Have now owned 4 pairs, each for different lighting conditions and still have all in good condition. Pretty solid glasses and lots under $80.

Where did you buy your pair?

I've always been a supporter of cheap sunglasses in such threads, until recently. A family friend of ours (Steve Arpin), who has been on the verge of driving in NASCAR for the past couple of years, recently announced a sponsorship by Skeleton Optics. So to help Steve out a little, I bought a pair of THESE. Well, I have never been so impressed with a pair of shades in my life, ever. So I bought another pair for my 75 year old Mom. She tried mine on and simply said WOW. Where did you get these? Then I bought a third pair, same style, way different colors (Check them out) for my gal Nita. She loves them. For fishing, the polarized ones that I wear are amazing. I've never been able to see so much structure under water. For general use, the colors just pop unlike anything I've experienced before. The product itself is made in Italy. The lenses are made by Carl Zeiss, which is a highly regarded German camera glass lens maker. I've had a couple of Zeiss lenses for my cameras and they have been among my best for picture quality. The product is reasonably priced too. Around $100.00 a pair. Hook up to their facebook page and they often have 25 to 40% off sales.

I have a pair of berkleys from wal mart.

They have the 2 times magnifier on the bottom so I can see my knots that i tie in the fishing line.

Polarized for $ 24.99 and I use them for every thing including driving.

If they get lost or broken then its only 25 bucks down the drain.

Where did you buy your pair?

flea-bay -- for quite a bit less than local retailer

i first tried on a bunch of different frames at BPS & decided which ones I wanted/fit me best. the steep & cheap site timmeh mentioned is a good source too but i was picky about the frame and never saw the ones i wanted.

Edited by Raf

I've been a advocate for cheap glasses but I think the general consensus is that making the switch is a worth it. After reading this thread, I might try to learn to be more careful with my stuff and get some nice new glasses! I use cheap rapala's now b/c they fit best and don't break the bank replacing them.