I want to hear about your sunglasses

GreenCanada

I'm in the market to replace my polarized sunglasses. I have a higher end pair with replaceable lenses that are coming to the end of their useable life. I would like a pair to double as everyday sunglasses as well because I don't tend to lose sunglasses.

I really don't know where to start when it comes to brands, style, lens type, etc.

Any info people could provide would be useful and appreciated!

i either sit on mine, like i did last weekend, or i scratch the hell outta them, so for me, Rapala polarized glasses at 14 bucks a pair is all i am willing to pay for.Surprisingly comfortable to wear, and do a great job on the glare.

I got a pair of Revo Thrives. They are the best glasses I have used and you can get the cobalt colour lenses which is best for sight fishing. They also have glass lense which don't scratch like the non glass lenses. They aren't a horrible price either. You can get them for around $250.

Lots of good glasses out there though Maui Jim are great as well, as are others.

I splurged a couple of years ago and bought a pair of fishing specific polarized Oakleys for around $250... not cheap by any means, but by far the best pair of sunglasses I have ever had. Would not hesitate to buy them again. I had a pair of polarized Bolle's before that ($90ish), would not recommend them.

http://ca.oakley.com/store/products/men/sunglasses/polarized

Peter

Maui Jims for me.. I'll never buy anything else.t

X2 on the Maui Jim's. I don,t know what it is about them but they eliminate glare better than any others. I get the glass lens versions. A bit heavier but scratch less.

Edited by Canuck

Check out numa they are awesome I have stepped on mine and sat on them not a scratch I have points/smoke lenses and Xframes/copper lenses and they are by far the best fishing glasses I have had and they replaced a pair of Oakley monsterdogs and a pair of Oakley gascans both with fishing specific lenses and the Numa's are half the price or less than the Oakleys

http://extreme-sunglasses.com/

Check out numa they are awesome I have stepped on mine and sat on them not a scratch I have points/smoke lenses and Xframes/copper lenses and they are by far the best fishing glasses I have had and they replaced a pair of Oakley monsterdogs and a pair of Oakley gascans both with fishing specific lenses and the Numa's are half the price or less than the Oakleys

http://extreme-sunglasses.com/

x2!! awesome glasses...I have a pair of white sharks..

Can't believe how much paople are willing to spend on sunglasses. For some of the numbers I have seen here or in stores I would only want to pay if they were prescription lenses. I wonder if some of the buyers of these expensive brands have actually done a side by side field test to compare cheap ones to their pricey twins?

I have a brand new pair of Oakly lenses, never been used. My son wanted the name on the frame when he ordered new prescip. sunglasses but the lenses are of no use to him! He was willing to pay 250 bucks for what I see as a cheap plastic frame to have prescription lenses put in them because that name was inscribed on the temple! VANITY!

I have a cheap pair of Berkleys bought in FLA. a few years ago, 8 bucks and just bought another pair at Wallyworld across the border for 5 bucks out of a sectioned off cardboard box so they were cheaper than the other Berkleys. They are great! The glare on my car's windshield totally disapears and find I can't drive that piece of crap car I have without them in any sort of daylight. As for fishing, they work pretty damn good too. But then some people are not happy unless the name on the label says $$$ s. A can of peas or a green pepper at Fortino's or Lawblaws came from the same warehouse and was shipped on the same truck as the ones at No-Frills but they cost more at the first named stores. Pay whatever you like if that's what turns your crank have fun lining somebody's pocket.

Can't believe how much paople are willing to spend on sunglasses. For some of the numbers I have seen here or in stores I would only want to pay if they were prescription lenses. I wonder if some of the buyers of these expensive brands have actually done a side by side field test to compare cheap ones to their pricey twins?

I have a brand new pair of Oakly lenses, never been used. My son wanted the name on the frame when he ordered new prescip. sunglasses but the lenses are of no use to him! He was willing to pay 250 bucks for what I see as a cheap plastic frame to have prescription lenses put in them because that name was inscribed on the temple! VANITY!

I have a cheap pair of Berkleys bought in FLA. a few years ago, 8 bucks and just bought another pair at Wallyworld across the border for 5 bucks out of a sectioned off cardboard box so they were cheaper than the other Berkleys. They are great! The glare on my car's windshield totally disapears and find I can't drive that piece of crap car I have without them in any sort of daylight. As for fishing, they work pretty damn good too. But then some people are not happy unless the name on the label says $$$ s. A can of peas or a green pepper at Fortino's or Lawblaws came from the same warehouse and was shipped on the same truck as the ones at No-Frills but they cost more at the first named stores. Pay whatever you like if that's what turns your crank have fun lining somebody's pocket.

Wait until you've got a lure flying at your face at 50mph and we'll see how great those $5 glasses work for you... I've got one set of eyes, I don't mind spending a little $$$ to protect them.

Crappy tire berkleys for me, always scratching or closing tackle box lid on them, fallin over the wet side of the boat etc. So 18 bucks is perfectfor my clumsy ass lol

Could not have said it better myself. As a matter of fact this thread has me thinking.....I have no idea where my glasses are.

x2 on the oakleys. comfortable enough to wear all the time, expensive enough you wouldn't think to jam them in your tackle box.

they last me a long time, provide much better clarity than a 15$ pair of rack glasses. i have cheaper pairs on the boat for guests and forgetfulness but they can't touch the oakleys. so yes, i've done a side by side.

i wear them all day every day so lightwieght and ergonomics are important to me.

it seems as though 250$ sunglasses are better than 15$ sunglasses, as they should be. its unlikely one would need to spend that much to find a good pair -try a bunch on at the store, see what fits you well and then spend some money and look after them!

Edited by smally21

I once spent 275$ US on a pair of Foster Grants , they had nitrogen filled arms and floated , to prove a point to my buddy , I through them overboard just to watch them sink into 200+FOW.

Ever since I've been buying the cheapies for 30$ at most , I have a pair of XPS from BPS and love them .

I bought H2Optics quite a few years back and payed around $135 and their excellent glasses and to this day have no scratches on the lenses and are as good as the day I bought them.

I also carry cheap glasses in the boat for anyone who needs them and there is no comparison to good glasses.

I also have to wonder how some of you guys manage to break or lose soooo many things ?? :lol:

Edited by lew

I've owned Oakleys, H2O optics, Bluewaters, Maui Jims, Costa del mars, Revos, and most recently Numas (which are now in Rice Lake between Grasshopper and Margarets if you feel lucky :) )

My favs were the Revos, hands down. Clear, crisp, no eye strain at all. But Pricy and quite fragile, busted them up in one year. 2nd would be Numas, for the moola it has a solid lens that are clear/chrisp and solid. Bluewaters a close second, money is right and they are solid.

I am terribly tough on glasses, no idea why, but I am clumbsy.

I am replacing my Numas with Numas.

im right behind you on that one lew. as in "behind you" glad you said it first!!

hey pike hunter i bought some replacemene lenses for oakleys off ebay and they are nowhere near as good as the original oakley lenses..are they for the oakley half jacket??

harrison what revos did you like the best??

Edited by smally21

I once spent 275$ US on a pair of Foster Grants , they had nitrogen filled arms and floated , to prove a point to my buddy , I through them overboard just to watch them sink into 200+FOW.

Ever since I've been buying the cheapies for 30$ at most , I have a pair of XPS from BPS and love them .

rofl2.gif Because the point wouldn't have been proved nearly as effectively if you threw them in a couple feet of water rofl2.gif This reminds me....when will you be posting your accident-prone summer report? ;)

harrison what revos did you like the best??

I've only tried two pairs, I really liked the Overhang model, light and wrapped the eye. Not a huge fan of bulky glasses.

Went with amber lense too. I like it for deeper clear water sight fishing, Lake Simcoe, Lake O etc.

11900538_1310999389.jpg

tks harrison - they look light/comfortable perhaps a little on the fragile side with the rimless design.

im up for a new pair ill check them out they are less than the oakleys, and not quite so 'pro baseball player' looking for everyday wear..