Backyard visitor at high noon!

Spiel

I was surprised to see this young'n (fence boards are 5 3/4") at high noon with the heat and all.

Dog was going nuts and it froze, remaining there for over half an hour.

Couldn't bring myself to disposing of it though it would have been quite easy, I hope I don't regret my decision. dunno.gif

possum.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:rofl2:

Cute little guy but only time will tell if you made the right choice. With Brooke around I would think it will just move on down the road.

Brook brought it to my attention, she was going nuts. I'm truly surprised given how high she was jumping up the 6' fence that she didn't get a hold of it.

I'm almost wishing she had...... whistling.gif

They have a face you just wanna smack:whistling:

Full grown they can be vicious when cornered.

True, on both accounts!

My father in-law has one in his backyard too.

Do you live in the city?

Yes, but not "the" city apparently. ;)

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI_VbNjk--E?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI_VbNjk--E?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI_VbNjk--E?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Thx for sharing the pic Spiel. Before this year I have never seen one in my life. This year i have seen 3. 2 in Oshawa close to where I work and one just south of Bobcaygeon while heading to our cottage. Maybe there population is growing?

Their range is expanding for sure. I was talking to a local trapper a few years ago who had just caught his first one ever around Lindsay. I've since seen a couple road killed locally. The warmer winters have to help!

S.

The range may be expanding but there are far fewer of them around the Niagara Region than back in the 80's when you almost count on a possum roadkill per mile of back road. We had a joke back then, " why did the chicken cross the road?.......... to prove to the possum it could be done" :rofl2:

Cute !!!???huh.gif

Have you ever seen the teeth on those things? They are like Land Sharksohmy.gif Like huge bristley rats with more teeth than a skillsaw blade !!!

I mean look at it. Its daring someone to get within 10 feet so it can pounce on then like the killer rabbit in The holy Grail !!!

when i found my pet possum he was smaller than that one and it wasn't long before he was using a litter box on his own and roaming the house. pretty much the same as an average cat as far as behavior goes, but way cooler.

It gets worse, last night I had five raccoons in the yard. wallbash.gif

Another viciously cute varmint:wallbash:

Have you ever heard them in mortal combat? :blink: I had a bunch of them in my yard at 3Am a few weeks ago. Woke the whole neighborhood up with thier banshee screams and wolflike growls.

I guess urban encroachment will mean that these new "cute" neighbors will be around for a while.Not to even mention the smell of roadkill skunk wafting through the bedroom window in the wee hours of the morning.:wallbash: